Bout ready to hang up my MD

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I live in a small town(about 150 people). We have a really popular restaurant here that draws people from all over. The restaurant is right across the street from the city park. Tonight I decided to hunt the park in the dark with my headlamp because after dark was the only time I had. I hunted about an hour. While I was at the park some out of town people came out of the restaurant and yelled," hey buddy if you need some money I can give you some you dont need to dig for it." I just ignored him. Of course he was like the preppy frat boy type with a bunch of people all around him. Afterwords I thought that I should have yelled back," Hey buddy see that Dodge Hemi Charger sitting over there, that is mine. Dont forget that when you are climbing into your Toyota that mommy and daddy bought for you, you f-ing prick. If he came over I could have just shanked him with my lesche. So that was the first straw. Shortly after that some little teenage gum chewing teeny boppin girls came out of the restaurant and came into the park. I overheard them say yeah what a wierdo. That is just weeeeiiird. He must be poor. I could also hear another little teeny bopper imitating my MD. She was saying beep, beep, bbeep, bb, bbb, bbbeep. Yeah, I am poor. That is why I spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby so I can dig holes in the local park looking for pennies. So I just packed up my stuff, came home, and started drinking. Thinkin about just hanging up my MD for awhile. Wouldn't be so bad if I had someone to go with. I am just really pissed off at the world tonight. The last couple of days I have been thinking about what I have been through and it is really getting me down.

Upvote 0

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too had a bad "key day" from burying my keys in the sand.

I was on business in CA and hit the beach after work. I decided that I couldn't afford to lose my keys, watch, etc. to a thief so I buried them just under the sand right underneath my towel. Now, you would think that would be very easy to find wouldn't you? EXCEPT... while I was out in the water the lifeguard asked a lady to move my stuff because he was afraid the incoming tide would get it wet! So I came out of the water after an hour, lifted my towel (which appeared to be undisturbed) and then frantically searched for a set of keys that should have been right there! Of course, they were about 50 feet closer to the ocean and were probably close to being under water by now. The real kicker is that I had no way to get in my car (luckily I had left my wallet in the car and not buried it too) and the rental car company charged me a fortune for the lost key! The only way I found out what happened was that the woman who originally moved my stuff came back around and noticed that I was searching for something. Then she fessed up about what had happened.

Lesson learned. Put your stuff far away from the ocean and don't bury your keys in the sand. If someone or something moves your stuff you'll never find the buried items again. ;D

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know...
for those who read these storys and say...
Well it sounds good to try to hide something like this..
what if someone did steal my keys...
Ok... what if ??
Look at all those cars out there....
which one does it go to ? (now of course you have the auto unlock with alarm on the ring)
which house do these keys go to...
If I was a crook, car keys or a hotel room key would be the last thing
I would be looking for on a towel...
I does not make sense to me...

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not that you expect them to go steal your car. It's the belief that someone will come along and take your stuff out of spite or to get your other valuables that makes you want to hide your stuff. Most people hide stuff in their shoe or bag. So a thief or prankster is just going to take your shoes and everything that's in them. This can include keys, watches, rings, wallets, and whatever else you put there. He isn't going to stop and look through your stuff to decide what is worthy of being stolen. Later, the thief will throw away your keys and just keep the good stuff. But you are still left in a world of hurt with no way to get back to your hotel room.

I lost a watch that day too. But that was the least of my worries. The problem was losing the keys that a crook wouldn't have wanted anyway. But where do you put them so that they are safe from someone just walking up and grabbing your shoes, pouch, or whatever else you have to store them in and just walking away?

Basically, I had never had anything stolen at the beach before when just putting my stuff in my shoes or bag. The one time I tried to be clever ended up with me losing exactly what I was trying to protect. :wink:

If anyone has any proven ways to protect your stuff at the beach I'm all ears. But I can guarantee you that I won't be burying my stuff anymore.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if your key ring has a id on em -- and you live locally and do not change the locks after their loss ---the crook at a later time of his choice using your keys can steal your car * --open your home locks * and use those "lost keys" to access your "world" -- think --while your playing at the beach for several hours without knowing it --with the jewelry and or wallet --he takes keys lifted from your shoes on the beach towel -(if they got a street address ID on em or he finds it from a id in your wallet )--hes heads to your "nearby" house with key in hand to loot it -- thus its a double robbery *

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
if your key ring has a id on em -- and you live locally and donot change the locks ---the crook at a later time of his choice can steal your car * --open your home locks * and use those "lost keys" to access your "world" -- think --while your playing at the beach for several hours without knowing it --with the jewelry --he takes keys lifted from your shoes on the beach towel -(if they got a street address ID on em)--hes heads to your "nearby" house with key in hand to loot it -- thus its a double robbery *

I don't have an ID on my keys for this very reason. And the keys I actually lost were my rental car keys so they weren't mine anyway. But good point nonetheless.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
if your key ring has a id on em -- and you live locally and donot change the locks ---the crook at a later time of his choice can steal your car * --open your home locks * and use those "lost keys" to access your "world" -- think --while your playing at the beach for several hours without knowing it --with the jewelry --he takes keys lifted from your shoes on the beach towel -(if they got a street address ID on em)--hes heads to your "nearby" house with key in hand to loot it -- thus its a double robbery *

I personally don't know many people who would do this, as in leave their ID on their keys..
I am sure someone does...
but the only thing I have ever dug with an ID is an old SC Drivers Licence, and that is why they don't
do that anymore...

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been hard at detecting for about 6 years. I have had 3 guys toss coins in my path, picked them up and kept going. A pretty girl on the beach saw me dig a $50 pair of sun glasses, after a short talk she asked if she could have them, Gave them to her, got a peck on the cheek, made me laugh. Only harassed a few times. When I get harassed I kick into high gear to find something. Just keep plopping finds in your pouch one after the other, they will go away.
I think about all the others who were really interested in what I was doing/finding. They outweigh loud mouths 50 to 1. Especially kids.
As for your harassers they are asses. They don,t know so whatever they think is pure Horse S**T. ::) Only your own opinion of yourself counts.
Get out there, enjoy detecting, share the hobby, and ignore the harassers.

Ed D.

fathead

Dec 19, 2009
Conowingo, MD
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago and I posted about it. I was frustrated and angry. I took a few days to get "over it" and have done well detecting since. I would suggest trying to find a partner and some private property to detect. Parks are fare game for everyone, especially people who are so obnoxious that no one will invite them over.

I think I get how irritated you are. It is part of this hobby, but so is finding something special.

Good luck.

-Fathead

JohnnieWalker

Nov 30, 2009
Zebulon NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari Teknetics T2
Putting someone else down is done to build self esteem in oneself in hopes to forget their own inadequacies.

MSRelic

Feb 18, 2010
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, Etrac
People that say hurtful things like that should matter to you about as much as a pile of dog mess. You step in it sometimes, wipe it off in the grass, and keep going.

desert dog

Oct 27, 2009
kingman az
Detector(s) used
new coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
STEVE HOLD YOUR HEAD HIGH AND YOUR
DETECTOR HIGHER AND DONOT GIVE UP :laughing7: :headbang:

DGDancer

Jan 13, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500, DFX, GP3000
Lots have said it :) Never give up. My action to idiots is just keep swinging and have only had a few
times that I've had to just pack up and find another place to detect when the hecklers got to bold.
Heck even in those cases I just casually hold out my screwdriver or steak knife *for cutting sod*
and they dont tend to get to close. Kids and people toss things down and I pick them up without
a skip in my beat and that I think fustrates the fools more than anything. I think its laughable.

My favorite incident was detecting a greenway/sidewalk in Perth Australia and this truck full of blokes
came up beside me with the usuall name calling, Poor man, geek, wanker, you need some money
mate.... ect... it was a busy road and a long line at the light but I kept at it. And got real active when
they started pitching coin :) I recovered all that and thanked them just before they left. The look
on thier faces was great~ they were dumbfounded HAHHHH. That was a good day as they tossed
a dollar of coin to me and I recovered over 80 dollars in coin plus some silver ten pence, a florine and
some old aussi large pennies.

Just have fun and keep a stiff upper lip.

Tony66

May 28, 2008
Tampa Bay Area Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II
[quote

If anyone has any proven ways to protect your stuff at the beach I'm all ears. But I can guarantee you that I won't be burying my stuff anymore.
[/quote]

I don't know if it's a proven form of protection but it works for me. When I was a teenager I had a nasty habit of locking my keys in my car. I started to keep a spare key in my wallet. I have my wallet in my back pocket...always, I don't leave it in the car like many do. However, when it comes to going to the beach and I know I'll be in the water, I leave everthing in the car. The only thing that goes with me is my spare key from my wallet. Either secure it in a Velcro type pocket or keep a chord or something in the car that you can put your key on or tie it to the inside of your pocket, however you secure it is up to you. Worst case scenario... you still lose your key. Well, when you get your door open, all your stuff is right there and you're out one spare key. If you're driving a new car that's all electronic they should give you 3 keys.. the main key (with the fob that locks door, etc), the spare key that does the same as the first and a valet key- this key usually opens the door and starts the car but won't unlock the trunk, glove box or other key access places in your car- you copy the valet key, it'll be the only regular key that doesn't have a chip so any Home Depot, Lowe's, etc will make a copy. I hope this helps anyway, it works for me.

Monolyth

Jan 8, 2010
oregon coast
Detector(s) used
tiger shark/ xterra 305
Spooky said:
You should have followed them home, waited til they were sleeping, set fire to their house and chopped their legs off.

Then sit outside with their beer and laugh as they try to stagger out of their burning house on the stubs where their legs used to be.

(Ok, maybe not............I'm kidding, guy)

OMG,

Way too funny... Thanks for the laugh on that one.

In response to the person who started this thread:
I am in a kind of the same situation as you. Wife, kids, job. Not a lot of time to detect. The looks, stares, and questions to us mders can be strange enough during the day. This is a hobby that most don't understand and so it breeds mistrust and suspicion because it represents the unknown. Now.... do the same thing at night when people are even more easily spooked and drunks and crazies are running about. See what I'm saying?

I expect the occasional comment or question during the day. If I'm not feeling "thick skinned" enough there are places that I avoid even in the daylight. I myself also do some night hunting and having a beacon of light attached to your head, rooting in the dirt, with strange beeps and whirring sounds will definitely cause a stir. It's not like we're out walking our dogs or something socialy acceptable like that. To expect normal reactions from people, especially at night is, well, not normal. I don't know quite how else to put it.

I am sorry that you had different expectations. Hopefully you will adjust your sights somewhat after this and continue on with with what is a great hobby. And hopefully, eventually, someday people will be more accepting of our hobby.

regards,
Monolyth

robo

Aug 21, 2006
Wyandotte, MI.
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Minelab 705, Tesoro Vaquero, And my Favorite, CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't let it get to you...

Crap like that happens to me all the time. When I first started out it bothered me also. After sometime you will learn to ignore them. It's funny because people can laugh at you but they sure seem to be interested in what you are doing. The other side of the coin is for every idiot out there there are also some very nice people you meet. The other day I had a grandmother with two small girls come up to me and were genuienly interested in what I was doing. The older girl who was about 5 or 6 told grandma that she wanted a detector! Guess you have to take the bad with the good. Happens to ALL of us one time or another.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wait until you go to the beach and you have what seems like every single person staring at you, laughing at you, or asking you stupid questions. It gets old real fast and you just have to brush it all off.

B

BIG61AL

People as a rule can say the meanest, dumbest things possible.....but bottom line those are just words from the ignorant who are smaller than a mosquito's' pecker. Keep your focus on the ground because that is where every gold ring, silver coin or relic is waiting for you to dig it up. Keep the faith brother, cuz you ain't alone and there are more of us than them!
:headbang:

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tony66 said:
I don't know if it's a proven form of protection but it works for me. When I was a teenager I had a nasty habit of locking my keys in my car. I started to keep a spare key in my wallet. I have my wallet in my back pocket...always, I don't leave it in the car like many do. However, when it comes to going to the beach and I know I'll be in the water, I leave everthing in the car. The only thing that goes with me is my spare key from my wallet. Either secure it in a Velcro type pocket or keep a chord or something in the car that you can put your key on or tie it to the inside of your pocket, however you secure it is up to you. Worst case scenario... you still lose your key. Well, when you get your door open, all your stuff is right there and you're out one spare key. If you're driving a new car that's all electronic they should give you 3 keys.. the main key (with the fob that locks door, etc), the spare key that does the same as the first and a valet key- this key usually opens the door and starts the car but won't unlock the trunk, glove box or other key access places in your car- you copy the valet key, it'll be the only regular key that doesn't have a chip so any Home Depot, Lowe's, etc will make a copy. I hope this helps anyway, it works for me.

I had left my wallet in the car and only took my key and my watch. And I lost my keys so I couldn't get into my car. I couldn't get to my AAA card so that I could call them and have them unlock the door for me. :P

Let's just say that it was a real mess because it was a rental car, I was out of town, and it was getting dark. I brought it all on myself though.

newbieprospector

Jun 22, 2006
Williamsburg, VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TORRERO said:
You know...
for those who read these storys and say...
Well it sounds good to try to hide something like this..
what if someone did steal my keys...
Ok... what if ??
Look at all those cars out there....
which one does it go to ? (now of course you have the auto unlock with alarm on the ring)
which house do these keys go to...
If I was a crook, car keys or a hotel room key would be the last thing
I would be looking for on a towel...
I does not make sense to me...

Car keys with house keys on the beach is a crooks best friend...had a co-worker many many moons ago (he was on parole at the time) tell me about one of his scams. Pick up the keys, go to the parking lot and hit the alarm/panic button to find the car, open the glove box and write down the owners address from the registration (leaving everything looking untouched so they think keys were just lost), watch the house to get schedule, come and go as you please when no one is home taking only small valuables!

Tony66 said it best...just carry that valet key on you and when you know you're headed for the beach don't take a lot of valuables to begin with....leave the watch and jewelry at home. :wink:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shambler said:
Who cares what teen girls think other than teen boys?
I was a teen boy once. I never cared what they thought back then either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions