Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
MD'ing enthusiasts hunt in sod all the time. Parks, schools, lawns, etc... I can't see why yours would be any different.

If the signals/coins are shallow (easy loud bongs) then probe them out with a screwdriver. When done, ruffle up your spot, and presto, no hole or mess.

For deeper ones: assuming the soil is moist, just cut a plug (be sure to keep the maximum amount of root-ball intact). Turn the plug upside down, and fish into the soil in your hole. Use a rubber catch mat so you don't make a mess with the dirt tailings you pull out. A sunray pinpointer is a BIG help :) After finding the target, then put your soil back in the hole, put the plug back on top, and stomp it back in to place. Ruffle up the surface with your fingers (to scatter any crumbs, and ruffle the grass to stand back up straight, and PRESTO, no hole :)

The "stomp" on the plug part is very important. Because if you don't the plug tends to sit a tad higher off the ground, and dies, etc.... So be sure to stomp it back in place tight and low, when done.

OP
OP
T

twinsrule

Dec 26, 2009
thanks for the reply, other than hunting my backyard and a baseball grandstand, thats one of the only places i've MDed. Inexperienced, to say the least. ;D

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another technique for cutting plugs is the "trap door" method. Just cut your plug about 80% around and flip it over. This will prevent the roots from dying and leaving a brown spot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread