Bow Hunting on Sunday

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw in the Atlantic City Press this morning that a bill to allow Bow Hunting on Sundays will be going forth to the General Legislature shortly. Not too happy about that, it was nice to have at least one day of the week from Sep thru Jan withou having to disturb any hunters or worry about getting an accidental shot towards you......Sorry to see Sunday hunting coming, even if it is only "bow hunting".

Don

OP
OP
Don in SJ

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a former bow hunter of several decades, but I also believe the people who enjoy the outdoors should also have at least one day where there is no possibility of hunters and other outdoor recreationist bumping heads. Heck, in this state, the bow season is just about 5-6 months long as it is, they can shoot untold amounts of deer depending on several factors and I just do not see why the state would change now to allowing Sunday as a normal hunt day.

Don

Casull

Jan 17, 2007
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
I also believe the people who enjoy the outdoors should also have at least one day where there is no possibility of hunters and other outdoor recreationist bumping heads.

There's no reason whatsoever that the two cannot co-exist. I've bowhunted several places where horseback riders, hikers and bowhunters all share the same area. No problems there, other than the horseback riders always seem to want to stop and talk (hehehe). How would you feel if the bowhunters got a day when it was illegal to metal detect so that there would be no "confrontation"? :wink:

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Don in SJ said:
I am a former bow hunter of several decades, but I also believe the people who enjoy the outdoors should also have at least one day where there is no possibility of hunters and other outdoor recreationist bumping heads. Heck, in this state, the bow season is just about 5-6 months long as it is, they can shoot untold amounts of deer depending on several factors and I just do not see why the state would change now to allowing Sunday as a normal hunt day.

Don

To make matters worse, There does not seem to be any area designated for hiking. If you want to walk the Batona Trail, you need to wear a flourescent safety vest!

jcoastie

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2008
Depoe Bay OR
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50
First off I see no reason why bowhunters and other outdoorsmen can't coexist. Any one who bow hunts knows that the average distance to shoot at a deer is around 20 yards and max distance is around 40 yards. There is no chance of mistaking a hiker for a deer at that distance. Second, most bow hunters hunt out of a tree, if they miss the arrow hits the ground. There is no chance of getting hit by a stray arrow. Most of the people that I have met that are against hunting have never tried it or have never taken the time to talk to someone who hunts. Hunting on Sundays is allowed in the majority of other states.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread