49.8 KB · Views: 247
Upvote 0

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say since i couldn't find a single roll, try out feebay.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I acutally just got a box of all 2011-D's, I kept a few for myself, and sold a few on feebay for a dollar a piece..just to see if people would actually bid on them..and sure enough..they did..but I'm keeping a few rolls and dumping the rest

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If you sell.. sell soon.. if you wait till December, no one will want them since more of them will be released.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
SFBayArea said:
If you sell.. sell soon.. if you wait till December, no one will want them since more of them will be released.
Listed 45 rolls today on eBay with Buy-It-Now for each, 4 of the rolls sold within hours of listing them. I added pics above.

Bob

MentalUnrest

Nov 14, 2010
Full boxes selling for $299 - $320 on eBay....Would take you 16+ silvers in one box to equal that kind of profit = SELL!!

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
MentalUnrest said:
Full boxes selling for $299 - $320 on eBay....Would take you 16+ silvers in one box to equal that kind of profit = SELL!!
That's not a lot of profit by the box like that. Cost of a dimes box is $250, then you have the listing fees and final value fees which can be as high as 12% of the sell price, then you have the PayPal fees on top of that. I had to list the rolls at nearly double the buy price, and even at that the fees and expenses will eat up most of the profit. The cost of fuel to deliver the packages to the post office would end up causing many sellers to go in the hole on something like this. For me the trip is 76 miles to mail a package, but I can make the trip on electric and save on fuel. I do not use the online shipping services, the cost of buying ink cartidges for the printer so I could print out the shipping labels was just too high to justify. The ink cartridges for my Lexmark printer would always dry out after only a few occasional uses and would have to be replaced.

Bob

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kb4iqm said:
MentalUnrest said:
That's not a lot of profit by the box like that. Cost of a dimes box is $250, then you have the listing fees and final value fees which can be as high as 12% of the sell price, then you have the PayPal fees on top of that. I had to list the rolls at nearly double the buy price, and even at that the fees and expenses will eat up most of the profit. The cost of fuel to deliver the packages to the post office would end up causing many sellers to go in the hole on something like this. For me the trip is 76 miles to mail a package, but I can make the trip on electric and save on fuel. I do not use the online shipping services, the cost of buying ink cartidges for the printer so I could print out the shipping labels was just too high to justify. The ink cartridges for my Lexmark printer would always dry out after only a few occasional uses and would have to be replaced.

Bob
Your right depending on your overhead. The first 50 listing fees are free. The total final value fees are 9% plus the paypal fees of 2.9%. Your making $13.42 @ $299 a box, $31.92 @$320 a box, not including anything made off of shipping, which ebay now takes a 9% cut of also.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
I used Buy-It-Now to speed up the sales, so no free listings, and the listing fees are higher than auction listings. Final value fees are higher for lower priced items like individual rolls. The final value fees they charged me was 12% on the rolls that sold already. I really hate selling on eBay, which is why I had given up doing it many years ago. I just want to be rid of these darned 2011 dime rolls, but hate to toss them back to the bank if someone else has a use for them. I did not know that eBay now takes a percentage of shipping as well, I'll have to change my chosen shipping method. I only charged enough to cover the direct shipping cost of using Priority Mail, not any extra to cover packaging or more eBay fees. I did not put it in my listing that I'll be using Priority Mail, I left it at the default text of standard shipping. But Priority Mail is less of a hassle for me with the known flat rates. I was just going to eat the cost of insurance and delivery confirmation. I want to spend my time CRH'ing instead of feeding more funds into FeeBays coffers. I may just cancel my listing after I ship out the orders already made. I don't mind breaking even but I'll be darned if I'll go in the hole to sell stuff on eBay.

Bob

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
Well, this discussion has disabused me of the notion of selling 9 rolls of the same dimes (that I got yesterday) on Ebay. Even if I sell them for $10 each, after all of the fees and the time spent on it the few dollars I'd make in profit aren't worth it. Back to the dump bank with them.

OP
OP
kb4iqm

kb4iqm

Mar 26, 2011
Southeastern Tennessee
ancesthntr said:
Well, this discussion has disabused me of the notion of selling 9 rolls of the same dimes (that I got yesterday) on Ebay. Even if I sell them for $10 each, after all of the fees and the time spent on it the few dollars I'd make in profit aren't worth it. Back to the dump bank with them.
Yea, had I known how much FeeBay had gone up on fees since the days I used to sell ham radio antennas, I would have not bothered. Even back then, I only tried to break even in order to give others good deals. When they raised their fees back then I stopped selling.

I just made a dump bank run. Back to what I love, CRH'ing :icon_thumleft:

byrne3

Mar 4, 2011
Sorry to hear about your ordeal with ebay. I know how it is with them. It's really a lose lose situation. The seller loses on time, and the buyer pays double (or more) of what it is really worth. Noone wins.

My suggestion is if you are going to sell on ebay, do a search for 'ebay fee calculator' and figure out exactly what you're getting in to if that is what you want. I created an excel spreadsheet that will tell me the exact fees, but there are many online programs for free also.

MentalUnrest said:

The $299 auction you are referring to also had 'bonus' items. It had a roll of 2009 dimes AND a roll of 2009 nickels.. So that's $257 Face value.. The $320 auction you referred to also had an extra roll of 2009 coins as well. If those didn't have that, the auction probably would have just sat there unsold like the rest of the full boxes.

I'll walk you through the $299 auction that you are referring to. What you call a 16+ silver dime profit, I'm seeing as a loss.

Total Price (that buyer paid) = $299 + $12.95 shipping = $311.95
List Fees = FREE
Reserve Fee (reserve price = $299) = $2.99
Ebay Final Fee = 28.08
Paypal Fees = $9.35
Shipping Fees = $10.50 (priority mail flat rate medium box; assuming printing postage online)
Insurance Fees = $4.75 (assuming full insurance)
Cost of coins = $257

= $256.28

A net LOSS of $.72

not quite equal to getting 16+ silver dimes..

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I think all of us should just refer to Ebay as Feebay or Greedbay from now on.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
I think all of us should just refer to Ebay as Feebay or Greedbay from now on.

I agree 100%...Seems like Feebay is the only one really making out on the deal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread