Boxing Day Buff

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks,

My brother (Washingtonian jr) and I got out today so he could give his new Equinox 800 a whirl. We started at a permission and didn’t get much there so we moved on to a school I’ve had success at in the past.

I’d found a buff and a few Wheats in the first hour and then things took a nose dive. This school is in a small town and it just so turns out the town’s only cop lives across the street.

Well, he came over and was all confrontational spouting off things like “you guys keep leaving holes here” (literally been there once and I never leave a hole unconvered), “this is a liability and you are going to get the school sued” (never happened once in my 13 years detecting), “everything you find belongs to the children” (huh?), “you can’t just metal detect a school without asking for permission, this isn’t a park” (still a public school paid for with taxpayer dollars). There are no posted signs at the school or on their website that say anything about metal detecting or any similar activity being prohibited.

Anyways, it probably isn’t prudent to argue with the one cop in town so I didn’t try much. I told him this was only my second time there, showed him how clean of a job I’d been doing, explained that I’d already returned several rings to people this year. He didn’t care.

Left a bitter taste in my mouth but we left and tried one more site before calling it a day. Most of my interactions with cops while detecting have been pleasant, this was an exception.

Thankfully I did nab a 36-S buff and 4 Wheats (5th was from the 1st site) before we got booted. Still a great day with my bro.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545877043.675768.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545877061.470013.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1545877071.638174.jpg

Thanks for looking and happy hunting all!
-W

Upvote 19

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well. You run into those kinds every once and a while. On the plus side it sure looks like that 800 is working fine. Nice buffaloes.

Whyme

Silver Member
Aug 22, 2007
Western New York
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Congrats! :icon_thumleft: Thank god the police in my town are nice about metal detecting. Only ran into one idiot woman who said she was calling the police. I told her to go ahead. If she did call they never showed up. :laughing7:

DirtDigginDan

Jul 3, 2018
Buffalo,MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett Propointer 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have only run into a few people that complained when I was doing sidewalk strips, at schools the custodians usually come over and chew the fat and ask how I have been doing and
if I have found anything good yet. Lots of cops see me out and about, never said a word to me yet. BTW, nice finds!:headbang:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you got a little bit before the heat came down on you!

You crazy kids and your metal detectors.

Good luck brother.

Congrats to Jr. on the new 800.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you were able to pull a Buffalo before "Captain Power Trip" showed up. I have had many policeman /woman show up and talk to me, but its mostly out of curiosity. My most memorable situation was when my friend and I were detecting a yard. All of the sudden, 3 police cars show up, like we are robbing the house. Never mind that we are moving in the front yard clearly visible to everyone, and the owner was home. I handed them my business card, gave them the phone number of the owner, and told them to knock on the front door because I had permission to be there, then we just kept on detecting, while they checked it out. Some nosy neighbor had called in, like it was all their business. They loose !!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While his dog kills the grass 2 times a day lol The grinch is real sorry that happened to you Glad you 2 had alot of fun and will have much more

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Those finds look like the ones I get around here...

I had a custodian at a school come over and tell me that I couldn't detect there and all of the finds belonged to the kids.
Then about a week later while I was driving past I saw him detecting!! Finds belong to who???
But like you said "no since arguing"
Congrats on the finds yoiu did make.

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had a school grounds keeper stop and ask if I had found anything good. then pulled out a silver dollar to see how it would sound under the coil. he then told me that the shop door remained open five days a week in the summer and that my wife and I could use the bathroom if needed plus a cold water fountain inside. Said he had a detector but hadn't had time to use it for 10 years or more. Buffs are always welcome here. good luck to both of you

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well scoring a Buff is always a success for me, sucks you ran into Officer Power Trip. I really really love and support police officers but just like when I was in the Navy I hated taking orders from those senior to me who were uninformed or just plan ignorant!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice old coin shooting! Congratulations on the new machine! :occasion14:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let me guess.....he let you know he was an officer huh? Had to throw that weight around.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nicely done, and all the best,

Lanny

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread