Boxorama Experiment Results

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Just as an experiment I figured I try ordering mega boxes something that I have never done before.
Over the past seven days I have searched 27 boxes of halves. Here is the results
14x 90%
52x 40%
Of course it's not very scientific but I looked at seven day road trip results (for October, not a stellar month) and I got the following
45x 90%
74 x40%
Needless to say the road trips win out and I will return to them on Nov. 1st. I will however get a few boxes 4? on a weekly basis and drop doing quarters.
On the plus side the boxes are fun to do. I got my first Barber Half, and the majority of the 90's were Bens and walkers. Doing boxes are less time consuming than road trips, cheap on gas, and I don't have to listen to the tellers B.S. Good exercise, I got to carry 6 boxes at a time and survived.
The returns are the killer though. I may lose 5 dump banks.
I still have 8 boxes to pick up this week and that's it.
I did not have high expectations with this little experiment, but it was fun trying :icon_sunny:

Upvote 0

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Depending on your stamina.....you should try to do both. I'm sure they are awefull sometimes, but the thought is always in the back of my mind of how it could be a dream box if I don't. No need to go to the burn out point. Just what is fun.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
keep doing those boxes. you are lucky to have both ways to get silver in your area. right now boxes are the only way in my area due to massive amounts of competition. i was in my dump bank yesterday and ran into another hunter. i was there to dump my 2K in brinks skunks. i brought one bag in the bank and he approached me. he had a brinks box of halves under his arm that he had just picked up. he started asking me questions like how long you been saving those........yada yada yada and i just decided to have a little fun with him. i told him i don't save halves that the halves that i brought in were part of my grandmother's estate and i was liquidating. i told him that she had them in a closet for a long time. the guy got really excited and i thought he was going to start salivating on the floor of the bank. i told him that i had another bag in the car and after i cashed out with the one bag he followed me to the car and bought the other bag from me. it was all i could do not to bust out laughing. he also told the vault teller not to do anything with the other bag i brought in. i was about to loose it. i sure hated to do that to him

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Carrying 6 boxes at a time is no joke Rich. The most I have done is 4 and I am 29. Be careful or you may rip your bag if you know what I mean.

Golden Silver

Mercury63

Oct 20, 2008
Rich, the great thing about having a hobby is that you can pretty much create your own guidelines and change them to meet your latest whims. Great to see you got that Barber, I am still shooting for my first.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carrying six boxes at a time??

You old ox!!! The most I can do is 3 boxes = 75 lbs. I love my back too much!

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
I'm going to do a combination of both, but spending the same amount of time on roadtrips that I did in the past. I'll probably drop the dime and quarter searches to save search time and to keep the dumps low.
GS,
At 57 years old I still do 500 pushups on my knuckles every other day (in sets of 50 and 60), 45 minutes of crunches, run 5 1/2 miles, every day,
and do 100 reps of curls with 90 pound dumbells , when I'm not doing the push-ups. So I don't think I'll be busting bags anytime soon. I have to keep in shape so I can run in an out of those banks fast before the competition gets there :laughing7:.

HH

Rich

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
I don't know when you find the time to do it all bud. I guess being retired has its privelages. Remind me not bump into you on one of your skunk days or I might get my bag broke. LOL.

Golden Silver

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich Hartford said:
I'm going to do a combination of both, but spending the same amount of time on roadtrips that I did in the past. I'll probably drop the dime and quarter searches to save search time and to keep the dumps low.
GS,
At 57 years old I still do 500 pushups on my knuckles every other day (in sets of 50 and 60), 45 minutes of crunches, run 5 1/2 miles, every day,
and do 100 reps of curls with 90 pound dumbells , when I'm not doing the push-ups. So I don't think I'll be busting bags anytime soon. I have to keep in shape so I can run in an out of those banks fast before the competition gets there :laughing7:.

HH

Rich

How the hell do you have time to search for silver with your daily fitness routine?

davew0710

Oct 3, 2008
Western Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Timing is the key. A few weeks ago, rolls were spectacular and boxes weak. Lately, it has reversed itself. Next week, who knows. Keep doing both, covder it all.

DAS7NY

Jun 6, 2008
My Dad isn't to keen on road trips. When we go upstate to visit family we usually hit the banks and score nicely! So I just do boxes. When I'm able to drive I'll be doing road trips for sure if there's still anything to hunt! I had plans to go through like 16 boxes after school today... But I'm sick with some cough and just totally feel like crap... :icon_pale: So I'll probably do all of that on Sunday! ;D You get great results man! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Ag,
"How the hell do you have time to search for silver with your daily fitness routine?"

I haven't turned on a TV in years. I eat dinner at 9pm and sleep about 6 or 7 hours a night. I keep busy, all the time, except when I'm on this website.

HH

Rich

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
silvercop said:
keep doing those boxes. you are lucky to have both ways to get silver in your area. right now boxes are the only way in my area due to massive amounts of competition. i was in my dump bank yesterday and ran into another hunter. i was there to dump my 2K in brinks skunks. i brought one bag in the bank and he approached me. he had a brinks box of halves under his arm that he had just picked up. he started asking me questions like how long you been saving those........yada yada yada and i just decided to have a little fun with him. i told him i don't save halves that the halves that i brought in were part of my grandmother's estate and i was liquidating. i told him that she had them in a closet for a long time. the guy got really excited and i thought he was going to start salivating on the floor of the bank. i told him that i had another bag in the car and after i cashed out with the one bag he followed me to the car and bought the other bag from me. it was all i could do not to bust out laughing. he also told the vault teller not to do anything with the other bag i brought in. i was about to loose it. i sure hated to do that to him

Brilliant!!!! :notworthy:

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
silvercop said:

I didnt see this earlier. Poor guy is sitting at home crying that grandma just saved up clad all these years.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
Rich, So how do you feel about not watching TV? Do you feel like you are missing something or on the contrary to you feel like you take in so much more? I think I know the answer just want to hear it from you.

Golden Silver

OP
OP
Rich Hartford

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
"Rich, So how do you feel about not watching TV? Do you feel like you are missing something or on the contrary to you feel like you take in so much more? I think I know the answer just want to hear it from you."

GS,

In my opinion the TV is nothing more than a propaganda devise dangerous not only to children but to adults as well. If you watch tv with this view you will discover things that you never noticed before. It is not an entertainment devise but a tool to alter the way we live our lives in a negative way.
The computer here is not such a great thing either.
I long for the days when I would sit on the stoop in front of my house and without fail someone would walk by and stop and chat.
When on Friday nights there would be a card game, or board game with family and friends.
When I take a walk at night all I see is the "blue light" emanating from the windows.

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
The eary blue light. It is almost as if we are in a trance sometimes. A few years ago I saw a bumper sticker that said nothing more than "kill your television" It stuck in my mind. Half of the time when I am watching it I am thinking why am I watching this crap? Yet it is hard to break away. I think you are very right my friend.

Golden Silver

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was about 3 years old my parents dumped the TV from our house. Me and my sister grew up watching very little TV. One didnt enter our house until I was in the 10th grade. When I tell most people they cannot believe that we lived that long without watching TV. Its amazing how the simple things in life can be quite enjoyable when you are not glued to the boobtube. I really wish I could do the same now for my kids.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread