Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The BP oil spill may go down in history as Americas worst disaster, our very own Chernobyl, a disaster possibly of biblical proportions that will have environmental effects into the next century.

This may be a stupid question but with a pipe possibly 30,000 feet down into the sea floor, why cant we just torpedo the damn thing and close it up? Or are they trying to save the well? :icon_scratch:

The US military has ruled out taking charge of the operation to stem the flow of oil from the blown-out BP rig. The chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, today said that military chiefs had looked at the available equipment and concluded that "the best technology in the world, with respect to that, exists in the oil industry".

A day earlier, the former US secretary of state, Colin Powell, said the military should step in because the crisis was now "beyond the capacity" of BP to stop.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The attempts to stop the oil flow have been given added urgency by the start of the hurricane season.

Forecasters are predicting an unusually high number of storms over the next six months. If the oil is still spread across the sea, a hurricane is likely to disperse it over a much wider area and push it deeper into marshlands and other inland areas, making the environmental disaster even worse.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is predicting between eight and 14 hurricanes this season, with perhaps a similar number of smaller storms.

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
bigcypresshunter said:
The BP oil spill may go down in history as Americas worst disaster, our very own Chernobyl, a disaster possibly of biblical proportions that will have environmental effects into the next century.

This may be a stupid question but with a pipe possibly 30,000 feet down into the sea floor, why cant we just torpedo the damn thing and close it up? Or are they trying to save the well? :icon_scratch:

The US military has ruled out taking charge of the operation to stem the flow of oil from the blown-out BP rig. The chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, Admiral Mike Mullen, today said that military chiefs had looked at the available equipment and concluded that "the best technology in the world, with respect to that, exists in the oil industry".

A day earlier, the former US secretary of state, Colin Powell, said the military should step in because the crisis was now "beyond the capacity" of BP to stop.

Hey big C

I am from NZ but am trying to follow this disaster as much as possible. I dont claim to be any sort of scientist but i want you think a bit about the repercussions of what u said. What makeds you think that putting a hole lot of explosives will close this thing. Understand this the well is Highly Highly preasurised and it is unpredictable in that sence. Ok you stick a bomb down there and explode the thing. you create a crater and crack the bedrock. Now we have 15 places that the oil is coming from where next?????

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
sasnz said:
Hey big C

I am from NZ but am trying to follow this disaster as much as possible. I dont claim to be any sort of scientist but i want you think a bit about the repercussions of what u said. What makeds you think that putting a hole lot of explosives will close this thing. Understand this the well is Highly Highly preasurised and it is unpredictable in that sence. Ok you stick a bomb down there and explode the thing. you create a crater and crack the bedrock. Now we have 15 places that the oil is coming from where next?????
Ok thanks for your opinion. I dont know it would seem that it would just collapse in and plug it up. I didnt realize oil could come up from cracked bedrock. But like I said it may be a stupid question.

Thinking about it, Ive never heard of such a thing happening. If that was the case wouldnt oil be spurting up from test bomb sites? Im not an engineer, scientist or expert either, just trying to get some conversation going on this serious problem.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Btw how highly pressurized is it? We have an old abandoned oil well where I work from the 1920's and its just capped off with a large iron screw cap . My friend drilled a hole in the cap and now we have an artesian well that shoots up water 24 hours a day from deep underground. Thats about as much as I know about oil wells lol. Maybe someone knowlegable about these things will post.

Attachments

• big cypress 2008 021.jpg
    big cypress 2008 021.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 340
  • big cypress 2008 021.jpg
    big cypress 2008 021.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 322

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
This is how you fix it:
1: Get Dupont to make a Neoprene sock/ boot to pull over it, using submarines or ships! Make the end of the sock, kinda like a rubber change purse, have 2 overlapping pieces that open when the right amount of pressure like that is being exerted from the leaking oil pipe, say a 24 inch flapper! On the other end of the sock have a fitting to connect a mile of pipe to for pumping or for suction, fill pipe with sea water to be displaced when oil/ methane is being forced through pipe! I don't know if the pressure would be enough by itself or that you'd might only need a little bit of pumping power to get it loaded on ship! Simple, this plan just needs a few calculations adjusted to work! This idea is patented! ::)

I don't think they can blow it up, because of a chance they might increase spillage! OR they might have to wait till the other relief well is drilled! Question: I came up with a total gallons of spillage to be near 15 million gallons of oil/methane, Did anyone else come close to this figure??

sasnz

Aug 15, 2006
Auckland
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 GTI
Hey big c

I am not an expert either but one thing i do know about is diving and the preasure there in. You are talking about a huge amount af atmospheres to get to that well and that is why no human can get there. I am not saying your plan wont work but if it dosnt then you could be opening a can of worms that could be bigger than you think. The experts working on this arn't sugesting explosives so i would stick with that for now and try and come up with a new solution. the relief drill is the most sencible to me but it will take time. Unfortunately the environment suffers in the mean time.

Cheers Sasnz

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The last I heard is they are trying to make a clean cut on the pipe so they can cap it. They are trying to use submersibles.

They are also drilling another well nearby to relieve some of the pressure but it wont be ready until August. I just cant stand the thought of polluting our pristine Everglades mangrove areas not to mention our beaches. :(

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
If they wait till August, all hell is going to break loose! Hurricanes will carry that ---- the whole way throughout Midwest, Mid-Atlantic, and Northern Atlantic states! I really feel this could be a great start to Nostradamus prophecies of the world ending in 2012! There is also a greater danger to fear than hurricanes with this situation!! :icon_scratch:

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Jog thanks for your support! They do say great minds think alike! :icon_thumleft: How do you submit idea to BP?? :headbang: :hello2: I submitted it to BP!! Here's how: Search for BP Horizon Support Center or Horizon Call Center! Call number, then they send you a form, fill out form for either source or spill ideas or both! :icon_thumleft:

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Signs?

It is also interesting in light of a Serbian mystic Mitar Tarabich (1829-1899), who once wrote, as recorded by his Godfather, who was a priest:

"People will drill wells deep in the ground and dig out gold, which will give them light, speed, and power, and the earth will shed tears of sorrow, because there will be much more gold and light on its surface than in its interior. The earth will suffer because of these open wounds. Instead of working in the fields, people will dig everywhere, in right and wrong places, but the real power will be all around them, not being able to tell them, 'Come on, take me, don't you see that I am here, all around you.' Only after many a summer, people will remember this real power, and then they will realize how unintelligent it was to dig all those holes. This power will also be present in people but it will take a long time before they discover it and use it. Thus man will live for a long, long time, not being able to know himself. There will be many learned men who will think through their books that they know and can do everything. They will be the great obstacle for this realization [self-knowledge], but once men get this knowledge, then people will see what kind of delusion it was when they listened to their learned men. When that happens, people will be so sorry that they didn't discover it before, because this knowledge is so simple."

[resources: Tower of Light]

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Im not the first person to think of nuking the oil well. Decades ago, the Soviet Union reportedly used nuclear blasts to successfully seal off runaway gas wells. Im surprised at the few responses here and apparent little interest. Heres the story. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37484693/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37484693/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times

How about nuking oil spill? No way, U.S. says
Soviets reportedly tried it with land-based gas wells

By William J. Broad

updated 2 hours, 13 minutes ago
The chatter began weeks ago as armchair engineers brainstormed for ways to stop the torrent of oil spilling into the Gulf of Mexico: What about nuking the well?

Decades ago, the Soviet Union reportedly used nuclear blasts to successfully seal off runaway gas wells, inserting a bomb deep underground and letting its fiery heat melt the surrounding rock to shut off the flow. Why not try it here?

The idea has gained fans with each failed attempt to stem the leak and each new setback — on Wednesday, the latest rescue effort stalled when a wire saw being used to slice through the riser pipe got stuck

At the end it says: Not everyone on the Internet is calling for nuking the well. Some are making jokes. “What’s worse than an oil spill?” asked a blogger on Full Comment, a blog of The National Post in Toronto. “A radioactive oil spill.”

WishfulThinker

Jan 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Machine shop down here in Texas was making a giant plug to go into the well if the current containment idea does not pan out.

I for one am amazed that no one had a manual giant gate valve built into the top of the blowout preventer that would allow cutting the drill pipe and riser pipe and then just letting the drill stem drop or forcing it down and finally having a underwater submersible robot close the valve. That whole process would have taken less than ONE day.

A standard barge is 12 to 14 ft into the water ... they could have ringed the entire area out at sea with a couple hundred barges (with interlocking piling plates forming an interior ring 50 ft deep) and skimmed all of the oil into a bunch of supertankers (four so far) AND if there was a oil/water separator unit onboard the oil could be salvaged and processed.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
WishfulThinker said:
Machine shop down here in Texas was making a giant plug to go into the well if the current containment idea does not pan out.

I for one am amazed that no one had a manual giant gate valve built into the top of the blowout preventer that would allow cutting the drill pipe and riser pipe and then just letting the drill stem drop or forcing it down and finally having a underwater submersible robot close the valve. That whole process would have taken less than ONE day.

A standard barge is 12 to 14 ft into the water ... they could have ringed the entire area out at sea with a couple hundred barges (with interlocking piling plates forming an interior ring 50 ft deep) and skimmed all of the oil into a bunch of supertankers (four so far) AND if there was a oil/water separator unit onboard the oil could be salvaged and processed.
Thanks for posting WishfulThinker. This is the kind of discussion I was hoping for.

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
jog said:
bigcypresshunter said:
jog said:
Once the Obama administration gets done destroying this country, the oil leak will be a minor drop in the bucket.
We need to keep this post non-political please or we will lose the entire thread.. Kindly remove your post. In case you didnt know political comments are not allowed here. You need to stay in the rubber room. Besides what does Big Oil's incompetance, neglect and lack of concern for our environment have to do with Obama? You sound like the CEO of BP with the drop in the bucket comment.

Maybe we should be asking the question to why they are drilling in waters that are a mile deep. I know! do you?
I guess its OK to discuss this as long as we keep politics out of the discussion. I didnt want to go there. Especially the mentioning of presidents names, past or present. I dont make the rules.

I would imagine the big oil companies and its supporters would have preferred to dig right on the beach. :D If they cant contain deep sea drilling than maybe we shouldnt be doing it.

I just noticed. Thanks for removing your post. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
This may be the end of all drilling in the Gulf. The area may become void of life for the next hundred years. This is worse than the Exxon Valdez. This is our own Chernobyl. Maybe this is what we needed to wake up and find alternative energy sources or different lifestyles. This time we live in will be known as the Oil Age. Probably also the Age of Waste; The Plastic Age lol. :(

OP
OP
Bigcypresshunter

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
vibes said:
Signs?

It is also interesting in light of a Serbian mystic Mitar Tarabich (1829-1899), who once wrote, as recorded by his Godfather, who was a priest:

"People will drill wells deep in the ground and dig out gold, which will give them light, speed, and power, and the earth will shed tears of sorrow, because there will be much more gold and light on its surface than in its interior. The earth will suffer because of these open wounds. Instead of working in the fields, people will dig everywhere, in right and wrong places, but the real power will be all around them, not being able to tell them, 'Come on, take me, don't you see that I am here, all around you.' Only after many a summer, people will remember this real power, and then they will realize how unintelligent it was to dig all those holes. This power will also be present in people but it will take a long time before they discover it and use it. Thus man will live for a long, long time, not being able to know himself. There will be many learned men who will think through their books that they know and can do everything. They will be the great obstacle for this realization [self-knowledge], but once men get this knowledge, then people will see what kind of delusion it was when they listened to their learned men. When that happens, people will be so sorry that they didn't discover it before, because this knowledge is so simple."

[resources: Tower of Light]
interesting.

Have you read Marcs story? http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,28494.0.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread