Braddock Gold Update

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
What follows was posted to the other strand, but is presented here to supplement the Braddock Mortar postingGreetings:

I have done some research, and have come to a conclusion on the Braddock gold legend. In the event others are interested in the topic...

According to Gordon Kershaw (Professor Emeritus), who wrote a scholarly article for the Maryland State Historical Society Magazine, the current gold tale is the work of William Hunt, a journalist who popularized the story in various forms between 1925 and 1957. Kershaw's informed opinion is that few of Hunt's conclusions were based upon historical facts. In the article, he cites numerous references (primary and secondary, to include material from the UK's Public Records Office among others.

In addition, the findings of Paul Kopperman in another scholarly work, Braddock at the Monongehala, are consistent with Kershaw's. Koppermans' work fills an entire volume that is chock full of primary and secondary sources.

According to Kershaw:

A. Braddock carried a few thousand pounds in gold/silver specie with him during the campaign. In fact, he paid his troops once at Fort Cumberland, and had no intention of paying them again until the troops were in winter quarters in Philadelphia.

B. Paymaster Johnstone and Reverand Peters (his associate) stated that the specie did not fall into French hands, neither was it buried. Rather, it was safe at Dunbar's camp where they had been left with the train. Other primary sources indicate the same - no specie was lost or buried.

C. Braddock intended to pay his troops at Philadelphia, and in Spanish pieces of eight brought in by an English warship.

D. Captain Orne and George Washington both fail to mention any lost specie even as they recount the loss of guns and stores to the French.

E. Thomas Penn also clearly indicated that the specie had been protected from the enemy.

F. Primary French accounts cite Indian allies as returning to Fort Duquesne with much booty, including gold/silver coin. However, the evidence suggests that the specie came from dead troops, not from Braddock's chest.

In other words, Braddock's treasure had never been in danger at the Monongahela. Instead, it was left 40 miles behind with the baggage train commanded by Colonel Dunbar. The rear baggage train was never under attack. So, there is no historical evidence reflected in primary and secondary sources of any loss of gold/silver specie - according to contemporary accounts (sources present at the battle, and in direct charge of the specie).

However, while there was a great loss of ordinance and stores to the French, there may be a silver lining - field guns and other relics. The records also clearly indicate that Colonel Dunbar disposed of guns and stores to accomodate the wounded during there retreat to Fort Cumberland. Dunbar was encamped at the Youghiogheny - exactly where was not indicated in Kershaw's article.

Again, Dunbar, in order to make room for the wounded on the wagons, disposed of ordinance and supplies. While I have not completed Braddock at the Monongehala, research ought to be able to turn up where the camp was located. Secondly, while a large proportion of the guns were captured by the French, some (if I understand the accounts correctly), had never left the Dunbar's baggage train.

Perhaps the guns (they were numerous, including 15 brass mortors), were dumped to free up horses for other duty. I did not find direct contemporary statements to the effect. However, maybe I just didn't find them. Besides, there should be much else to find at Dunbar's camp (especially if it has not been developed as in the Braddocks battle site).

If posible, I'd like to pin down the lost guns. Between the two references, which are very precise, I should be able to make a determimation through simple math. What went in? What left out? Another point, what happened to the guns (in addition to their own) that the French took?

Well, there isn't any gold to find, but I hope the above is a help to relic hunters in southwestern PA. If anyone has any additional info, I'd like to learn more. Thanks.

Starsplitter

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Starspliter, Go to the area of Dunbars camp and talk to the natives living there. I was there many years ago, and a fellow showed me a collection or stuff he had dug up from around Dunbars camping place with his M/D. So the camp site shouldn't be that hard to find.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a New book out

The FRENCH & INDIAN WAR​
DECIDING THE FATE OF NORTH AMERICA​

Here is a Short Passage.

I just Bought the Book & only glance Through it so far.
But IF you want a Copy. Google the History Book Club.
You can pick it up for $1.00 Plus Shipping & cancel your Membership
right after.

Attachments

• Braddocks.jpg
    Braddocks.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 701
  • Defeat.jpg
    Defeat.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 670

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a little off subject but another Book I picked up there

Attachments

• ar.jpg
    ar.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 637
OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks Jeff. I will read your references. I'd like to get more detailed information on Dunbar and the baggage train/mortars. Neither of my sources gave clear indication or details on the subject.

OP
OP
starsplitter

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Monk:

Thanks for the references and the advice. Yes, I do want to visit Dunbar's camp. Do you know of any maps that may show (when compared) discrepancies in the route of retreat? In other words, between two or more maps compare and plot one of more routes (assuming the discrepancies are few, meaning additional search areas will be negligible. Thanks again!

Starsplitter

Monk

Sep 10, 2004
Where ever my coffee cup lands
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280X
Starspliter, I think if I was to want to search the area, I'd go to the area with lots of time to stay there and talk to the natives and interview people. Find out from the folks there just where things have turned up in the the area by plowing of fields. Ect. Talk with other M/D users living in area. Do research! Spend a good week just eyeballing the area. All this before getting out the M/D. You must develope a plan of attack to this search. Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions