Braddocks Gold & Mortars

starsplitter

Jan 20, 2007
Braddock's Gold & Mortars

I have finished reading Braddock at the Monongahela by Kershaw. A few points:

a. Kershaw cites one source that the French captured a chest of gold along with Braddock's silver service, papers, etc.
b. Kershaw cites a French source that relates (a year later) bones scattered for leagues along the route of retreat, and on the river banks
c. Kershaw cites the number and type of guns brought by Braddock
d. Kershaw cites a French source detailing the number and type of British guns captured - it appears to jibe with the exception of the 15 brass mortars - the French primary source lists only four captured

Again, no gold. But, if the British record is accurate, where are the other 11 brass mortars? To the best of my recollection, all British accounts state that the artillery was captured/lost.

Unless someone knows of a primary source that says otherwise, it is possible (maybe probable) that the mortars were buried or otherwise disposed of, hence the French only garnering 4 out of fifteen.

Logic would dictate that if the British did not take them back to Fort Cumberland, then they must have been cached somewhere along the retreat route (I would submit sooner than later as the Brits were in a hurry to destroy ordinance and stores - add to that the shortage of horses and need for wagons to transport the wounded).

Does anyone have any information? Thanks.

Starsplitter

Re: Braddock's Gold & Mortars

Starspliter, Dunbar was the 2nd in command and left in the rear with the baggage. After the British defeat and the survivers of the army came back to the rear camp with wounded amoung them, the wagons were unloaded to carry the wounded. Stuff was distroyed and burned. The cohorns or morters were buried at that time and not taken back to Fort Cumberland as they were in full retreat.

Re: Braddock's Gold & Mortars

Monk,

Do you have a source? I'd like to read the same material. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Starsplitter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back