Braided Hair, 18k White Gold, Military Hat Pin. Old Coins And Relics.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Hey everyone,

As you all know already I stumbled upon a old large park. It is hunted well like I said before. But I felt there were still some misses out there.

I hunted friday, Saturday, And Sunday. Got about 10 hrs or so out in the field last week. Weather was just great to. Did one hunt with the old man on Friday.

Hunted with my boy Saturday. Then Sunday me my brother son and Dad all were out at the old park. We had a nice day.

Things started out well though on Friday. Found a nice little sterling pin right away. It was bent but still a keeper. I was able to bend it back out. I got 2 v-nickles one dated 1907 the other a 1889. Both were really shallow and I think they were passed up because of that.

I also picked up a wheat along the way. But little did I know what was going to come up next. It's happened before like this.

I was trudging along and got a light but solid foil hit. It was inbetween 2 large roots that stuck up on the surface. The hit was actually inbetween the 2 roots.

Anyone who has hunted a long time knows how tough it is to pick up a signal between roots like that. You can't really get a sweep on it. No were to move the coil.

Experience tells me don't let even that light hit get past up. Expecting a .22 shell I dig down about 3 or 4 inches and see a ring wrapped around some roots.

I said to myself in my mind before picking the ring up that it can't be silver because the hit was to low. And it was to shiny to be fake. I grabbed the ring reemed the dirt out of the band to see that great number 18 staring back at me.

Sad part was it held a large stone and it was mising. I looked through the mud and I didn't see anything. It was just to muddy to even try and look for the stone.

I think the piece had a diamond in it. I also think it is a art deco styling. I'm not sure but looked like alot of other rings I saw from the 20's and 30's.

Needless to say my dad was in awe. He knows me by now and just expects me to pull out something good. But I don't know if he really understands how much time I've put into this hobby.

It takes alot of my concentration to pull goods out of a worked area. It's tough if you are not a vet at this.

I also no lie dug a toad everyone. I was in shock. I dug out a huge plug in the woods for a target right. Next thing I know there is a toad in a hollow in the ground hibernating

Pretty crazy to see a toad roll out of the side of a hole. It was like he was asleep. Brought him home for the boys. He thawed out nice. And was very active. He is a large one to.

So we called it a day at that point. Saturday arrived and I couldn't wait to get back out. Things started out fast then went to super slow. I got a half of a pill box marked sterling. Then dead silence for the most part for the next few hrs.

Until all the sudden upagainst a tree I get a nice deep I mean deep silver quarter reading. I proceeded and dug out about 10 to 12 inches of soil.

Checked the pile and the detector was screeming a plus 88. I thought old silver quarter or large token. I said to my son lets move some dirt away and check it out.

There it was. A 1853 braided hair large cent. I let my son hold it and got a shot of him. We were then renued for the hunt. It was one muddy rainy day out to.

We picked up 2 wheats and called it a day. Sunday, Arrived and we were ready to get out again. I was starting to get a little soar but no pain no gain. This is ruff terrain.

I actually got my butt kicked Sunday, A very rarity. My brother pulls up 4 nice old coins. My Dad even gets a wheat. Me no old coins. But I wasn't out of it.

I found some nice relics including a WW1 I think hat pin. A three ringer CW bullet. A old water key. It still was a solid day. Got a shot of my brother holding a buffalo he got that day.

Hope you all like the pics and story.

Attachments

• 3-11-07 001.jpg
    3-11-07 001.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,055
  • 3-11-07 002.jpg
    3-11-07 002.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 3-11-07 003.jpg
    3-11-07 003.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 3-11-07 004.jpg
    3-11-07 004.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,064
  • 3-11-07 005.jpg
    3-11-07 005.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 1,032
  • 3-11-07 006.jpg
    3-11-07 006.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,041
Upvote 0
OP
OP
JerV3

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Functional, thanks for the write up. I did notice under a jewlers loop that the white was wearing off. The ring looked like yellow gold under a loop.

I don't know a whole lot about white gold. I wear only yellow. But my sister wears nothing but white gold. She told me that every so many yrs her ring needs rhodium put back onto it.

The cleaning process was extensive like usual. Being a perfectionist I won't let even the smallest piece of dirt stay stuck to a item. I'm up for hrs restoring finds.

I like to do it but it's just as much work as finding the items. Hope to get back out there this weekend. Funny how warm it can get outside when your making good finds.

HH Jer

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread