Braille Betty Crocker cookbooks..

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Not sure, but probably not.
Cookbooks don't seem to be huge sellers. Generally older, unique and homemade (hand written&cut-outs) can do ok sometimes. I sold an older homemade one a couple of weeks ago for $28.
As stated here before, home recipe cards can be good finds for resale.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
SEANO said:
Cookbooks don't seem to be huge sellers. Generally older, unique and homemade (hand written&cut-outs) can do ok sometimes. I sold an older homemade one a couple of weeks ago for $28.
you better go back to ebay an do a highest first completetion search... I know for a fact cookbook sell well but you have to know which ones to buy an which editions... as for the braille I would have bought them 9 chance out of 10 there not there now an I am willing to bet they would sell for big money....

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
creeper71 said:
SEANO said:
you better go back to ebay an do a highest first completetion search... I know for a fact cookbook sell well but you have to know which ones to buy an which editions... as for the braille I would have bought them 9 chance out of 10 there not there now an I am willing to bet they would sell for big money....
after I wrote this I thought maybe I should see if I could find you prices I found prices in about 30seconds.. here is the link http://www.braillebookstore.com/view.php?C=Betty+Crocker+Cookbooks

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a couple of cookbooks on ebay. They have to be different from the average cookbook. The stranger the better. My thoughts are if you can not find it on ebay then you have something that is not that common.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I would have bought them too, just because they were in Braille.

I sold an Old Dixie Recipes Black Mammy Southern Cookbook from the 1930's with a wooden cover
not too long ago for 50 something.

OP
OP
jfoto

jfoto

Feb 19, 2011
Virginia
Creeper, I had found that same link that you found when I initially did a google search, but I dont really like to base prices off of asking prices so I tend to just go by ebay completed auctions.. maybe I should broaden my horizons a little bit.. I'm going to go back at lunchtime in an hour, and see if they still have these and maybe buy them. thank for the info guys.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jfoto said:
Creeper, I had found that same link that you found when I initially did a google search, but I dont really like to base prices off of asking prices so I tend to just go by ebay completed auctions.. maybe I should broaden my horizons a little bit.. I'm going to go back at lunchtime in an hour, and see if they still have these and maybe buy them. thank for the info guys.
ebay isn't a price guide also I have seen many things over price d an under priced on ebay.. the site we looked at is a site for braille books so they more often then not know the retail value

OP
OP
jfoto

jfoto

Feb 19, 2011
Virginia
Ok you guys are gonna love this.. I went back to the thrift store and they had the Betty Crocker Braille books marked down to 2.95 each, so I bought them, there were 5. As im checking out, the checkout lady says "we have the braille Bible" in the back if you want that too.. I figured, it'd probably be the same price, so I said..sure.. I mean, whats 2.95 for the Bible right? wrong..

She says "ok great, I'll have the guy wheel them out to you"..and im thinking.."huh?".. so a few minutes go by and this guy wheels out 2 great big boxes on a dolly, filled with 20 giant braille books.. its the Bible allright, its just split up into different parts.. hahaha .. she said $25 for the lot, so I said okie dokie.. so now I'm not only the owner of some braille betty crocker cookbooks, but im also the owner of the entire Bible in braille.. so im in for approximately $40 total for the cookbooks and the bible.. I hope I can turn a good profit.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jfoto said:
Ok you guys are gonna love this.. I went back to the thrift store and they had the Betty Crocker Braille books marked down to 2.95 each, so I bought them, there were 5. As im checking out, the checkout lady says "we have the braille Bible" in the back if you want that too.. I figured, it'd probably be the same price, so I said..sure.. I mean, whats 2.95 for the Bible right? wrong..

She says "ok great, I'll have the guy wheel them out to you"..and im thinking.."huh?".. so a few minutes go by and this guy wheels out 2 great big boxes on a dolly, filled with 20 giant braille books.. its the Bible allright, its just split up into different parts.. hahaha .. she said $25 for the lot, so I said okie dokie.. so now I'm not only the owner of some braille betty crocker cookbooks, but im also the owner of the entire Bible in braille.. so im in for approximately $40 total for the cookbooks and the bible.. I hope I can turn a good profit.
for 25.00 I would have skipped the bible... I would have said 10.00 or I'll pass

OP
OP
jfoto

jfoto

Feb 19, 2011
Virginia
well on that same site, they have the Bible listed for $644.95 .. so I think I might do ok.. also, on ebay, each "part" of the Bible is selling for 18.95 (completed) with $14 extra for shipping. I'm crossing my fingers anyway..

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have given $25 for braille Bibles in a heartbeat. There can't be an overabundance of them and the market should be good so I think you did real well.

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
jfoto said:
well on that same site, they have the Bible listed for $644.95 .. so I think I might do ok.. also, on ebay, each "part" of the Bible is selling for 18.95 (completed) with $14 extra for shipping. I'm crossing my fingers anyway..
well then you did good, I just think 25.00 on a whim is alot of money.. most bibles don't have a good resell market

S

stefen

Might find it hard for a blind person to use or research Ebay...can't see :icon_scratch:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
Might find it hard for a blind person to use or research Ebay...can't see :icon_scratch:
This is 2011 man, it's a whole new world. If there's a will, there's a way.- In September 2010, the NFB and eBay announced a partnership to increase employment and business opportunities for blind Americans. eBay.com now includes enhanced features for users to buy, bid and sell using the keyboard alone, as well as improved ways to navigate content using assistive technologies such as screen access software. The blind can now more easily connect with eBay’s 92 million users and shop from 200 million live listings.
For more information about the NFB, please visit www.nfb.org.

jfoto said:
I think you'll do just fine. :thumbsup: Good luck and keep us posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread