Easy money... I mean credit.

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
A few sales around this weekend, finally! Did pretty well.
I'll try and add pics tonight of some items found.

Sat's last stop of the day (around noon) was a CL ad that mentioned "last minute tag sale items"
Not expecting any finds, I quickly looked around the garage. Just three small tables set-up and two boxes on ground. A quick hunt through one of the boxes and I noticed a HD (Home Depot) bag. I look inside and see two dead-bolt lock sets, still in box and four light switches, still in plastic. Also in the bag was the receipt. You can figure out where this is going... Humm, "How much for this stuff?" "Make me an offer" " "how's $4" "SOLD"
Stopped by HD on the way home and got a store credit for $53. :)

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Several years ago, a friend and I were driving past a garage sale. He scored a brand new, never opened children's seat/carrier for a bicycle.

It retailed for $90 at WalMart, and the woman selling it confirmed "I bought that at WalMart, and paid a lot for it, but it never got installed on my bike."

My friend bought it for $5. The woman selling it could have cared less what it was worth, or what she originally paid for it. She was one of those "I'm wealthy, and I just want this stuff gone" types.

My friend returned it to WM, and got the $90 plus tax. WM customer service had to open the sealed box to confirm that the seat was still inside.

I posted this story on another forum, and tons of people thought that it was wrong and unethical to return it to WM for a refund. In fact, the thread got so heated that it got locked, and then deleted!!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I am always on the look out for store bags while at yard sales, a couple weeks ago I was headed over to have breakfast after church on sunday when I saw a yard sale sign, so I stopped the lady said not much left after yesterday, I spotted a Lowes bag with some new fittings and stuff, I held it up and she said a buck, I said sold. So after eating I went across the street to Lowes and got $33.87 in store credit. This is not the first time. Good luck and Happy hunting!..........Scott

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
clovis97 said:
I posted this story on another forum, and tons of people thought that it was wrong and unethical to return it to WM for a refund. In fact, the thread got so heated that it got locked, and then deleted!!
That should never happen here.

This is a find-a-treasure-anyway-you-can forum. :icon_pirat:

Good going Clovis, I just added brand new items that look like they can be returned to wallyworld items to my YS list.

Can anyone add to the list of stores that have a lienient return policy?

Rob-n-Texas

Jan 3, 2009
Round Rock TX
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I did the same thing this saturday. I found an unopened Wahl Hair Clippers for 5 bucks. I bought it and seen the same pair at wal-mart. I got store credit for $47.56. We shop there quite abit so that was fast money to us. My wife use to work at wal-mart and said they probably only paid 10 bucks for the clippers so they aren't losing out. We had a great meal and some beer that night thanks to that pickup.

OP
OP
SEANO

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Bringing this back up to the top. :)
Keep an eye out this weekend for stuff you can return for credit!!

Nightowl 280

Oct 16, 2010
land o lakes fl
while not the same thing but sometimes you can find store discount items and return them for full price store credits down the road at the next wall mart . Much easier to do around xmas .

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Nightowl 280 said:
while not the same thing but sometimes you can find store discount items and return them for full price store credits down the road at the next wall mart . Much easier to do around xmas .

Might as well be stealing. (legally it is, they call it theft by fraud and it contributes to the high prices the rest of us honest people have to pay) :dontknow: Even though it might be some corporate owned store that runs jobs to china, it's still not right or legal to fraud them.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
clovis97 said:
Can anyone add to the list of stores that have a lienient return policy?

Standing in the Walmart customer service line, my wife saw one lady returned some things that included a child's "Sippy Cup" still filled with liquid...and they took it back....

Walmart may not continue to be the "Lenient" business on "returns" it once was. The next lady in line returned some clothing, and a supervisor was called. The supervisor told that lady, "You've returned several things in the last 6 months. I'll honor it this time, but you can't return anything else for the next 6 months."....

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the reciept is in the bag and the merchandise is unopened why not return it for the money. I'd have done the same thing! I don't see why any store would have a problem taking the return that way. Now if the stuff had been opened or no reciept maybe a different story.......

Great idea to keep a look out for at GS's.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could see why this type of thread might generate a bit of heat... :blob8:

However, let us think about this with some clarity and focus.... :hello:

If the individual who had put up the item for sale that is still in the store bag with the receipt inside had decided instead to just hand it to their friend and say "Friend, I am too lazy to take this back to the store. If you want to take it back and get the money for yourself, go ahead. Just pay me $5 for the gas I spent to go buy it initially." Would that be "defrauding" the store?

:dontknow:

In my opinion, there is no difference in this scenario and what actually happened. How is that defrauding the store if they received a salable item back in perfect condition?? Actually, some of the buyers of these items are actually assuming risk because if the item is not accepted by the store, then they are out the $5 they paid (or whatever they paid) to acquire the rights to take the object back to the store.

Nothing wrong here...move along.... :icon_sunny:

IamJan

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2011
North Carolina
TheRandyMan said:

If the individual who had put up the item for sale that is still in the store bag with the receipt inside had decided instead to just hand it to their friend and say "Friend, I am too lazy to take this back to the store. If you want to take it back and get the money for yourself, go ahead. Just pay me $5 for the gas I spent to go buy it initially." Would that be "defrauding" the store?

In my opinion, there is no difference in this scenario and what actually happened. How is that defrauding the store if they received a salable item back in perfect condition?? Actually, some of the buyers of these items are actually assuming risk because if the item is not accepted by the store, then they are out the $5 they paid (or whatever they paid) to acquire the rights to take the object back to the store.

I believe cheese was replying to nightowl about returning reduced items for full price. I see nothing wrong with a return of a yard sale item but I don't believe in intentionally trying to take advantage of someone or something. I agree with cheese.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IamJan said:
TheRandyMan said:

I believe cheese was replying to nightowl about returning reduced items for full price. I see nothing wrong with a return of a yard sale item but I don't believe in intentionally trying to take advantage of someone or something. I agree with cheese.

Ah..yes, my bad...I agree with Cheese as well on that part about getting the full price for a discounted item... :nono: :nono: :nono:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I fineally got something at a yardsale with a reciept.

It was a computer power supply in a shrinkwrapped box. It was marked $39.95 I got it for free in abig box of electronics and wires, in the box was the reciept. They paid full price for it in 1996 :tongue3:

I don't think Fry's would take it back. Out here they have the worst return policy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread