Brand New Discovery 1100 erratically beeps when first turned on.

smiley63_99

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am hoping that someone can help me. I just received a Brand new Discovery 1100 Metal Detector as an anniversary present. I set it up according to the manuals instructions and did the quick start test outside. Well, I tried to do the test. It won't stop erratically beeping. I have made adjustments as suggested and still no luck. I have wanted a metal detector all my life and finally have one, but can't get it to work properly. What can I do to resolve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated in this. Thank you in advance. ???

I have turned down the sensitivity level as was suggested and it will won't stop beeping. I really want to start using it and am getting discouraged quickly. Thanks.

Last edited:

BigMerv

Jul 29, 2013
Jackson, MS Metro Area
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3300 with 4", 8", and 10" coils. Time Ranger with 4", 8", 10", and F4 11" DD coils.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smiley - Metal detectors are susceptible to EMI from powerlines. You said you did the air test outside. Was there a powerline or a set of transformers nearby. My Discovery 3300 picks up the EMI from the powerlines to the point that I need to be at least 50' away from them. It is erratic as you describe and cannot be calmed down. Just a thought. BBJ

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not a clue on that model, but I would check all cable connections, and the batteries

OP
OP
S

smiley63_99

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks BigMerv. I will keep that in mind. I tried the detector again out in a field and had the same thing....it doesn't want to stop beeping. I think I might just return it to the store and get another one and see what happens.

OP
OP
S

smiley63_99

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Uncle Jeff. This was a brand new out of the box detector, and this is the first time using it. Batteries are brand new and things are hooked up as per instructions in manual. :)

OP
OP
S

smiley63_99

Tenderfoot
Aug 7, 2013
Ontario
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank those that replied to my question of help. When I first got the detector, I had bought cheap Walmart Great Value brand batteries. I also bought a pack of the Eveready type batteries as well. I first used the walmart brand. That is when I had the problems. I decided, just for shits and giggles, to switch out the batteries to the higher quality ones. Guess what? The detector now purrs like a kitten, so to speak. So I decided to start in my back yard. That didn't last long as the mosquitos were eating me alive. But I did find half of a metal O ring. at least that's what it looks like to me. I moved to the front yard, where the bugs weren't as bad and found an old bottle cap. So even though I only found junk, I still classify my first search a success. :) This is going to be the first of many many excursions out into the world of metal detecting. :)

izzaquack

Greenie
Jul 25, 2013
Kansas City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a BH 1100. When I first got it I only hunted in the silver copper mode til I got used to it. It helped me pinpoint targets that was usually quarters, dimes, pennies. It will pick up alum cans also. That helped me identify cans from coins. Now I only discrimate iron. I have found around $90 so far since March of this year. Yesterday I found two silver rings in a park that I have been over many times. I also bought a 4 inch coil for the trashy parks, and under benches/stands. The only problem I have found with this detector is the battery compartment. I have to put a piece of cardboard behind the battery clips to keep the batteries connected. So if your detector turns off it may not be your batteries, it may be your batteries not making contact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions