Brass Ottoman Empire Lantern Lamp Tughra Stamp - replica or not

kardinalisimo

Nov 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have already posted somewhere else and was told that the tughra mark on the bottom is sultan Mehmed VI's seal ( 1918-1922).
Someone asked an Iranian an Iraqi a Kurd and a Turk to translate the Arab script and they all agreed it means nothing.
So, that to me is not a good sign. Unless, this guys were not familiar with the old Turkish-ottoman language.
Also,
"A tughra is a calligraphic monogram, seal or signature of an Ottoman sultan that was affixed to all official documents and correspondence. It was also carved on his seal and stamped on the coins minted during his reign"

So, why would there be an offical sultan's seal on a candle lamp? I cannot find any reference where is told if the tughras were inscribed on other objects besides documents and coins? So is that an indication of the lamp being replica?
I've seen few people offering similar authentic lamps and they look the same. So, how can I be sure if this is an original one.

Any help will be welcomed!
Thanks in advance!
1.JPG
2.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

Upvote 2

John Boy

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2012
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 LTD CAMOUFLAGE,CZ3D 1021,1220X AND GARRETT PRO POINTER.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey alright like that.never seen one of that kind.nice

Twinkletoes

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2013
Detector(s) used
White’s TDI Beach Hunter PI / Minelab Excalibur 1000 / White's MX Sport / White’s XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, can't help with the markings but it looks old!

OP
OP
K

kardinalisimo

Nov 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can someone recommend an experts who would be able to help?
thanks

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sign is symbol of campany, there are many stuffs as like this in east:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions