Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We headed for the Texas coast this past week thinking we would hunt during tropical storm Harvey...didn't know it was going to turn into a cat 4 hurricane. We hunted Thursday night before running back to Fort Worth. One of the beaches we hunted had been replenished in the last 3 years. Everything we found were recent drops. I came across a coin line of mostly quarters and dug this beefy brass spike among them. We hunted here 3 years ago and the beach was practically non existent. Its wider now than I've ever seen it.

I always assumed they pump sand onto the beach from out in gulf to replenish it. Could they have pumped this in from the gulf? Maybe dredged through a shipwreck? It looks old to me. Too old to have been dropped in the past three years with all of the quarters?

Anybody recognize this as older ship parts? Its about 2" long. The head is about the size of a nickel and fairly thin.

36809764025_46049a2d24_o.jpg 36669946951_2933e38a55_o.jpg 36412919620_4b714e1037_o.jpg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't know if it's from a shipwreck or not but I bet it dates to the early 1800's. Very nice recovery!

Upvote 0

Digg Mo

Oct 18, 2006
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro,Tesoro Sidewinder,Tesoro Conquistador, Tesoro Tigershark, Troy Shadow X2, Minelab Excalibur 1000,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's awesome. Have you found any more info on the brass shipwreck spike?

Upvote 0

Ripcon

Sep 4, 2016
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found brass nails from wrecks before. Yours certainly looks like it could be from a ship wreck. They used brass nails and spikes because they didn't rust like the iron nails.

Upvote 0

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like it and would love to find one but I am 5 hours from ocean. A great name for this thread would have been "let's get down to brass tacks..."

Upvote 0
OP
OP
garren

garren

Mar 15, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like it and would love to find one but I am 5 hours from ocean. A great name for this thread would have been "let's get down to brass tacks..."

I feel your pain. Its 5 hours for us too...with Houston traffic between here and the beach.

That's awesome. Have you found any more info on the brass shipwreck spike?

Not yet. Ive got an email out to someone who specializes in shipwreck research and salvage...maybe he can shed some light on it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread