Brass with feather patterns

DubCoco

Jul 9, 2015
Baton Rouge, La.
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Teknetics Delta 4000, Pro Pointers.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I was detecting a yard of an old plantation home built in the mid 1800's in the Baton Rouge area. Knowing that the confederate soldiers came and camped this way into the city during the Battle of Baton Rouge in the 1860's, I was digging everything as deep as I could find. I found this piece of brass (I think) with a pattern of feathers on it. Small and large feathers, almost like a duck pattern. Was prob 8 to 10 inches down in the harder dirt. Take a look at it and see if you have seen something like this. Thanks brass find1.jpg brass find2.jpg brass find3.jpg

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I believe those are leaves.
Here's a pattern with leaves that are engraved similar to your piece.
Just having a fragment, it might be hare to ID. Is your item flat or
concaved?
$_57.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DubCoco

Jul 9, 2015
Baton Rouge, La.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks VHS. The chunk I have is very concaved. It almost looks like if it was complete, it would be sphere like.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks VHS. The chunk I have is very concaved. It almost looks like if it was complete, it would be sphere like.

By your description and photos, it appears to be the remains of a vintage brass teapot. These brass pieces were very popular during the 1950's and were imported from India. They were used as decorative pieces instead of useable teapots.

WELCOME to the FORUM!

:)
Breezie
BrassTeapot.jpg

Upvote 0

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compare the pattern size with the penny. Then the tea pot. The piece has a smaller pattern compared to the tea pot

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Compare the pattern size with the penny. Then the tea pot. The piece has a smaller pattern compared to the tea pot

Hey Bob,
As we say down South, 'bless your heart.' :) The picture of the tea pot I posted is just an example of the types of embossed decorative brass items that were imported here in the 1950's. I was suggesting since his remnant is curved, perhaps it belonged to a circular object such as a tea pot.

:)
Breezie

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

DubCoco

Jul 9, 2015
Baton Rouge, La.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice looking tea pot there Breezie! The piece seems to have a tighter curve to it tho. Would have been no more size than a baseball if kept the curve to sphere. I wish I had more of it. I may try to remember the exact spot dug from and dig more out this weekend. The whole area has the AT Pro just ripping numbers / targets out nonstop. It was an old plantation homes's front / side yard. The house is still next door. The Choctaw indian burial mound is on the other side next door. This property directly in middle. Thanks for the help everyone.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread