21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Brevard County Florida planning on banning

smittyw said:
I agree with being a detectorist vs a treasure hunter, however, the people who make the laws look at it that we are treasure hunting.

As to legality of Metal Detecting in Hillsborough County Parks, please note the following and decide which way you want to play it.

Hillsborough County Ordinance 08-17

Section 5, sub (B) : Historical, Curtural and Archaeological Items; No persons shall damage, alter or remove such items from park.

*Section 8*, sub (s) Treasure Hunting: Treasure hunting is prohibited in all parks and all park property.

Effective 7 Aug 08, violations punishable as misdemeanor under Florida section 125.69.

I am happy that those of you who have hunted Lithia had fun and I hope no one screws that up for you and others, but from what I read in the Ord., it could cause you a problem.

I was a Deputy Sheriff in this county for 35 years and know I would not have given an MDer problems unless forced to by county staff (heck, I would probably have helped him pry out the target), but there is a new breed out there now and I see a lot less discretion being used now than ever before.

My two cents worth. HH to all.
We will have to push the difference between treasure hunter and hobbyist, ourselves. There IS a difference, after all. I do agree that the ordinance paints with a broad brush. A kid in a tot lot, with sand scoop in hand, can be in violation, as it stands.
"Hey kid what are you doing?"
"Oh! Im looking for the pirate treasure I heard about on the news!!"
"Well, you'll have to come with me. We have rules against THAT sort of thing..."

You are right about the cops, and authorities in general, not being discerning. Common sense is not in favor as it once was. It is more about what THEY expect, or permit, than what you are actually doing.

I've run afoul of that myself, while detecting. I had to go just because I was there, even if it WAS a public place. Some concerned citizen had called in on their cell phone, of course. It didn't matter that I was harmless, even helpful in my presence.
As I've learned, any cop worth the name can find you guilty of something. When a cop is called, he or she must flex the enforcement powers they are given. It's what we pay them for - the majority of the people endorse that, regardless of the situation. Cops are right, citizen is not.
It's a weather change, to be sure.

A potentially simple solution to this is the permit. Like a fishing license, it permits you to do your thing with the blessing of the authorities. Gone are the days of the independent man, anyway, going about his business. That died with JFK.
The group mind has taken hold, now. This means you need permission to do things where the public controllers are concerned.
This goes against the grain of the detectorist, who prefers anonymity. But those days are passing.

I sent a message to the Brevard Parks commission to that effect. I don't like permits at all; I dont need to be given someones "permission" to be a harmless citizen.
But they are a way around the problem. Sometimes you lose a battle so you can win the war.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

Instead of banning everyone, they should only fine and ban the offenders. Look at the id of each person, and if someone is banned, they get fined or arrested.

I don't see why metal detectorists won't stand up for each other. Why can't we get 100 or more people to join together to confront city hall or anything? It's not like you can be arrested or fined, it's not a demonstration.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

relichunters said:
...I don't see why metal detectorists won't stand up for each other. Why can't we get 100 or more people to join together to confront city hall or anything? It's not like you can be arrested or fined, it's not a demonstration.

In my experience, treasure hunters are individualistic and secretive by nature. I have been involved in trying to organize recreational (who HATE that term!) gold prospectors. Forget about it! We all talk a good game, but we are TOO busy looking for treasure to fight City Hall. Counter intuitive, right? :dontknow:

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6

Just want to say thanks to those of you who are helping ' fight city hall'.

Ray S ECenFL

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Terry Soloman said:
relichunters said:
...I don't see why metal detectorists won't stand up for each other. Why can't we get 100 or more people to join together to confront city hall or anything? It's not like you can be arrested or fined, it's not a demonstration.

In my experience, treasure hunters are individualistic and secretive by nature. I have been involved in trying to organize recreational (who HATE that term!) gold prospectors. Forget about it! We all talk a good game, but we are TOO busy looking for treasure to fight City Hall. Counter intuitive, right? :dontknow:
Exactly, Terry. And then we'll complain when they take the privilege from us.
We had better put our detectors down long enough for this one, folks. Joining together is all that may save us.

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro

It's getting worse all the time, next thing you know it'll be banned in the whole United States, except maybe for police or government use only. Everything is getting banned, it's time to stand up for our rights.
I am sure people could take 1 single day out of their life to help.

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo

I suggest that those of you who are not already under some kind of restrictive ordinance or rule find others in your area and hammer at the government for a permitting system or to have things left as they are. If they think they can squeeze a dime out of you for a permit they may lap it up.

Pinellas county(St Petersburg, Clearwater etc) which is the county just east of Hillsborough already has the ban on metal detecting in public parks and they are even more strict then over here from what I have read from others on this forum. YUK.

Seems those who already responded to this post are experienced and always try to make the smallest disturbance, if any, to any area where a target is extracted. I guess we better do what we can to coach anyone we see making a mess somewhere before things evaporate all over.

I don't have an answer. I just hope others are not put in a precarious position by changing rules and laws as this whole country seems to be becoming more anal retentive than ever before.

Good luck.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This thread needs to be moved front and center, here at T-Net. It is too timely and important to remain buried.
How do you do that?

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo

Suggest sending PM to jeff of pa, or river rat. I think the are forum moderators. Check for sure in very top line of thread.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Yup this county sucks the big'un, the bloated fools running things are as corrupt as it gets.

Most of this stems from the few A%@^#&#* who leave a mess, and were diggin trenches in the soccer fields.

Unless you have money to donate to the crooks they will not give you the time of day.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
UPDATE:

On Sunday, 19 June, I wrote an email to the Brevard County Commissioners and told them about my experience at the local park. This happened on two separate occasions with two different grounds maintenance employees. I asked if it was true that metal detecting was going to be banned at all the Brevard County Parks and it was just a matter of getting the signs changed. I requested the ordinance that specifically prohibited metal detecting for my own information.

On Monday, 20 June, today, I received a call from the Parks and Recreation Director and he wanted to know who told me that I could not detect in the park and wanted to know what park in occurred in. I went into detail about the two incidents. They both happened at the same park. He then told me that only the north end of Brevard County had signs that said no metal detecting and he told me that those signs were not suppose to say that. I was told the detecting in the parks is permitted and that he intend to look into why the grounds maintenance people are telling people that it is not permitted. The Parks Manager was also present during the conversation and he is concerned also.

So it appears that the parks employees were misinformed by someone and whoever that someone is will be hearing from the Parks and Recreation upper management.

Glad that is settled.

HH

Ray S ECenFL

aloysiusinfla

Jun 6, 2011
Is Truman Scarborough still the county commissioner from T'ville? His DAD was my principal at THS decades ago.

Brevards economy is in the crapper..T'Ville is a ghost town. Make your voice heard. The commissioners don't like negative publicity. Brevard needs POSITIVE stimulus to revive its economy.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
psst tell them TOURIST TYPE FOLKS LIKE TO DETECT -- stopping detecting could hurt their tourism * that they will listen too......lol..oh ya big time.

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You got more response than I ever have Ray. :icon_thumright: :coffee2:

Hopefully that is not the end of it and this gets resolved.
Wonder if they are going to remove the "°No MD'ing°" from the north end parks if they are not supposed to say it?

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
wildman4910 said:
You got more response than I ever have Ray. :icon_thumright: :coffee2:

Hopefully that is not the end of it and this gets resolved.
Wonder if they are going to remove the "°No MD'ing°" from the north end parks if they are not supposed to say it?
[/quote

I have had the same thought.

OP
OP
Ray S ECenFL

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
As far as I am concerned, the issue is closed. If any other developments occur I will let you all know.

Many thanks for the support and the emails. It did help.

I will keep an eye on the signs at the North end of the county to see if any changes take place.

Ray S ECenFL :icon_thumright: ;D :icon_thumleft:

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They allreadone it to me in shrewsbury mass
I am asddened but what ever the Govt local or state Allways win.
The Old saying Goes You Can never win against the law

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions