Brigadier General Edward (Ed) McMahon (USMC / TV Personality): 1923 - 2009

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just heard on the news that Brigadier General Ed McMahon has passed away this morning at the age of 86! Can't find anything on the net yet......just came over the wire: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/entertainment/NATL-Ed-McMahon-Dead-at-Age-.html and this link: http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/entertainment/NATL-Ed-McMahon-Dead-at-Age-.html

Found this info about him on another website:

"....During World War II, McMahon was a United States Marines fighter pilot and he also served as a flight instructor and test pilot. He was a decorated pilot and was discharged in 1946, remaining in the reserves.

After college, McMahon returned to active Marine duty. He was sent to Korea in February 1953. He flew unarmed O-1E Bird Dogs on 85 tactical air control and artillery spotting missions. He remained in the Marine reserves, retiring with the rank of Colonel in 1966 and was then commissioned as a Brigadier General in the California Air National Guard.

Several of his ancestors, including the Marquis d’Equilly, also had long and distinguished military careers. Patrice MacMahon, duc de Magenta was a Marshal of armies in France, serving under Napoleon III, and later President. McMahon once asserted to Johnny Carson that mayonnaise was originally named MacMahonnaise in honor of this ancestor, referring to him as the Comte de MacMahon. In his autobiography, McMahon said that it was his father who told him of this relationship and he went on to suggest that he was not certain of the truth of the story...."

Thank you for your service to our great country and for the laughs you gave us on TV! You were blessed so well and so weren't we...by having you a part of our life! I loved you on Johnny Carson and Star Search and the Bloopers show!

RIP Brigadier General! TAPS...SALUTE!!
Annmarie

Attachments

• thanks.gif
    thanks.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 372
  • thanks.gif
    thanks.gif
    34.8 KB · Views: 331

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
We all loved Ed, but I always get confused about these "fuzzy" military histories. Nearest as I can determine:

Ed was trained as a fighter pilot, getting commissioned in early 1945. He saw no action or combat during the last few months of WWII.

Between 1945 and 1952, he worked in show business- and (I guess) continued to participate in the USMC reserves.

In 1952 he was recalled to active duty and retrained to fly the O-1E (not a fighter plane).

In February 1953, he arrived in Korea. He flew 85 artillery-spotter missions, and left Korea in September 1953 (for a grand total of 7 months in country).

From 1953 to 1966, he must have continued his participation in USMC reserve activities and retired in 1966.

Sometime after 1966, he joined the California Air National Guard. Sometime after joining the CANG, he was promoted to Brigadier General.

Was this a celebrity promotion, or did he have a real military job as a "general"?

That's pretty much everything I can find online concerning his military career.

Farewell, Ed.

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no Idea he was in the Military. :dontknow: Smart guy and well liked.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions