johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you ever met any widely known military brass?? Generals and such. For me, I had the honor of meeting Gen. Wm. Westmoreland in Evanston, Wyoming. He was there for a Vietnam Memorial dedication. My wife and I had to drive 100 miles to get there. We headed for the area where the event was to happen. As we approached the area I saw this elderly man in uniform. I had never met him but, I knew it was him. I started walking toward him and my wife grabbed my arm and whispered, "what are you doing"? I'm going to meet him, I said. I walked up to him from the side and said, "general, sir". He turned and instantly offered a handshake. We talked, he asked when I had been in Vietnam and what unit. We both saw a group of men in suits approaching and he said it was time to get to work. Then he looked me squarely in the eyes, put his right hand on my left shoulder and said, "Son, we could have easily won that war but, it was all politics, policits". I took a step back and gave him the best salute I could muster up. He saluted me back, turned and walked off. I will remember that day for as long as I can. I also shook the hand of Gen Chuck Yeager in an air show in Fairbanks, Alaska. This post is getting too long but, I have to tell the story on this one. As the Gen. was parking his P-51 he was encircled by military brass and us civilians. One of the officers said, "Gen., your plane is leaking something. Gen. Yeager glanced at the tarmac and said, "it's just engine coolant", "I'll go down to Wal-Mart and buy a couple of gallons and she'll be ready to go". "If this was one of your fancy new jets it would be in the hangar for at least a month". The roar of the laughter was almost as loud as the P-51.

lonelyduckhunter

May 5, 2009
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had the privelige to drive General James Jones (USMC) around a few times at Camp Lejeune once for a World Wide Commadants conference and the other time for Army/Marines General conference. Very nice guy gave me his commadants coin both times also met alot of World Military commadants at the 1st event to include the British Royal Marines Commadant. Good times will never ever forget it. Gen. Jones went on the become the Eurepeon nato commander and now Pres. Obama United States Security Advisor. When I was his driver it was 2001-2003 time frame. Very good General loved his troops. :icon_thumright:

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
In the spring of 1975 I was attached to a contingent of Marines at FT. Meade MD.
I stayed with a Major Joe Hurst and his wife.
Their neighbor was an Older CW4, Hugh McGrath.
I was most impressed that he had started out his career as a private in the US Army Air Corps during WWII.
This guy was covered with zippers, some that ran half the length of him.
I found out later that he was (at the time) the oldest living CW4 in the services.
Many times decorated, a very humble soul.
The only person I have ever seen tell the base commander where to go, and get away with it.

I am still in touch with Joe,
He was the chief security officer at the base.
Later he was the security officer at Subic Bay while MT Pinatubo was going off.
He stayed until all sensitive material was off the base and they shut it down.
He went to Rocky Flats Colorado and retired a full Colonel a few years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread