Bright Green ??

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know what this green / copper material is on this rock....All thoughts welcome....

GreenFlou 1.JPG GreenFlou 2.JPG

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a common find in central Maryland around the copper mines.. the closest abandoned copper mine is Liberty reservoir south of the PA line and we go there about one a year. Although we find small copper samples, along with other types of silver slag, we also find raw asbestos and your stone.. Malachite.

Upvote 0

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...funny it reminds me of the "fire agate" fire colors.....is the green part metallic looking, it's looks so in the picture....whatever, it is pretty! Don't think your stone is Malachite though, if that's what SW means?

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right, I did not think of that. Can you scratch the metallic stuff with a knife?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe he is asking about the bright green crust on the rock not the rock itself.

Exactly Bajahunter......thanks..

Eu_citzen..yes it can be scratched and flaked off the host rock. Under the microscope this green/copper material is all bumpy and looks like a coat has formed on the rock as I can see where some pieces have broken & flaked off....Three pictures with different angles attached...I found this in a tailings pile and the bright colors just jumped out in the sunlight...

GR 1S.JPG GR 2S.JPG GR 3S.JPG

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess would be peacock copper and/or pyrite on green schist..the base rock probably a form of olivine. Such schist's are common in high mineralization zones were ore bodies reside. Handsome specimen though :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input DDancer.....I'm not use to seeing any thing peacock or neon type colors on the claims in this area and definitely a first for me....

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Chalcopyrite I'd guess then. Looks like some copper is in there, to? Copper is malleable, just like gold. Just guessing from the pics, I'd say keep looking! There might be some nice finds if you can find the source.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep looking around :) There is liable to be more. I have found similar specimens over the years, though smaller, and large ones like that are of interest to collectors.
I've only ever found my specimens in the tailing piles, usually the main body was what was dug out, and bits like that were essentially scraps.

Cant really tell but looking at the overall specimen it appears to be shot thru with the material. If you can locate the source it might be worth assay. Or if your just out collecting rocks the source might have some better examples with a little digging and or surfacing near the load.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread