larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
a few weeks ago john gives me some coffee cans of scrapers and some that were full of mostly broke points or blades now this might be boring to some of you so you can always ignore otoh i am going to post two images of mandan arrow points the north dakota historical dept did an extreme and thorough excavation about the 'scattered village' which lies underneath eastern mandan, north dakota a survey and tally was done on the broke arrow points found it was their determination that 56% of the broke points found were broken during the manufacturing process (by the notch area) the remaining 44% were broke due to impact fractures in conclusion here are two images that illustrate and back this study i hope you can let me know if this has been of any interest to you

IMG_0653.jpg broke during the manufacturing process
IMG_0654.jpg broke from impact fracture

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a calf creek style pt. that I made. Had it finished but I decided it needed one more flake removed to even up the notches. My notching tool touched the inside of it and snapped the base off but left the ears attached. I would guess that over 90% of the time it will be the ears that break. I have broke the ears off a lot of them but only once the base. This is a similar break as the old point I posted earlier. Although it broke straight across but it still left the barbs attached. View attachment 955090 View attachment 955091
I have broke a lot of side notched arrow pts. while notching and they all had similar breaks as the ones shown as manufacturing breaks. I agree though that a hafted pt. could also break in a similar fashion.
It's hard for me to say as I've never handled the type before but, each one looks to have use wear. I suppose if one were broke during a retouch it would still be classified as damaged during manufacture?

we thanks much
i am learning some new ideas and i am glad i started this thread
also thanks to monster

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have broke a lot of side notched arrow pts. while notching and they all had similar breaks as the ones shown as manufacturing breaks. I agree though that a hafted pt. could also break in a similar fashion.

Not to take away from the original post, but how have you snapped the base or ears ? By your tool making contact after the flake released or not enough support or using a punch to notch with ?

kansa54

Aug 12, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500 Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Silver Sabre micro max
Makro Racer 2 Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not to take away from the original post, but how have you snapped the base or ears ? By your tool making contact after the flake released or not enough support or using a punch to notch with ?
Deadeye, it can be caused by notching tool touching the side, not supporting it correctly, or by trying to remove to big of flake. There are probably other factors too and I'm pretty sure I've experienced them all. LOL

deadeye 22250

Jan 23, 2014
north central Oh
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, DFX, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deadeye, it can be caused by notching tool touching the side, not supporting it correctly, or by trying to remove to big of flake. There are probably other factors too and I'm pretty sure I've experienced them all. LOL

The notching tool making contact on the sides is the most common cause for breaking the base or ears.

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Very interesting post Steve I enjoyed reading everybody's thought's. I think you may be right in your idea on breakage. When you find a broken one it always makes you wonder what caused it to break.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread