broke off the cobwebs

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
life is good, winter is over and detecting has started!

the ole detector hasn't moved far since last December when the frost set in; it felt good getting back out in the fields and putting the shovel in the dirt
me and Iron Patch got back to great spot that has given up some RevWar and 1812 buttons on the past; second last time we were there a crew was busy harvesting rutabagas, and the last time ( when we thought we going detecting) we saw a goose blind right where we wanted to be, so we had to wait til today.

we hunted a few hours at this and another shorter hunt at another site we found but sadly it only produced a few Victorian age targets, not the great follow up to the much better previous field

finds were not many, but I was happy with the results
a few buttons, couple coins, odds and ends.... and nice military button to start the season off right!
Kings American Regiment officers cuff, little bit of gilt left in the right places
also, found these bottle stoppers at the first place today, I've not seen any like them before, I've found dozens of them, but none with the crown and what appears to be rampant lion....East India Co.??
if anyone knows about them let me know please

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491443646.000214.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491443667.908386.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1491443691.132906.jpg

anyways, that's the lot

looking forward to getting back out again soon

Upvote 18
OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
I love those early military buttons you guys find up there. We almost never find those down this way. And those stoppers are very cool with that crown. Nice hunt!

thank you Bill
some days the focus of the hunt is a button and when it works out it is a success
yeah those stoppers still got me scratching my head

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
AARC
I know this is going to sound funny to you, but I'm leaning at agreeing with you lol

I looked some, found some with script on them, that's all so far
plenty of bottles out there with rampant lions ( facing the other way mostly), some with crowns, but surprisingly none together
well, yet.

I'm not done looking, but for a simple thing it's turned more complex ,I like that, the challenge of solving this mystery

thanks for the vote of confidence too

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway for a closeup of those marks ? ? ?

A clearer one(s) rather.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first hunt of the Spring,, nice to clean off the cobwebs.
Congrats on the military button. It looks to be in great shape. I do hope you are able to solve the origin the stoppers. They may end up being "The Find of the Day.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhh much clearer... and yes I can see also its definitely Victorian.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So... not as old as I was thinking now.

Take the banner back.

J/K !

So... no earlier than ehhhh than what forty... no thirties... hold...

1837- 1901 ish by her

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still super cool... and now off to try and make out that other mark... which I STILL cannot see clearly. :P

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Congrats on your first hunt of the Spring,, nice to clean off the cobwebs.
Congrats on the military button. It looks to be in great shape. I do hope you are able to solve the origin the stoppers. They may end up being "The Find of the Day.

they're one of those sleeper finds that steals the thunder

it's funny that a little piece of glass can trump a Revolutionary War British officers button but hey that's the world we live in lol

thanks, great to hear from you

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey the button is cool... but glass breaks :P

Im a glass man before a button man. ... besides I think in #'s in the stuff at times...

For example... 1 bottle = 1 stopper.

1 shirt / coat / etc = multiple buttons. :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it an optical illsusion but is the "lion" (which I still cannot make out) "pressed" INTO the glass... OR is it also "embossed" IE: "out" /raised like the crown appears to be. ? ? ?

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Is it an optical illsusion but is the "lion" (which I still cannot make out) "pressed" INTO the glass... OR is it also "embossed" IE: "out" /raised like the crown appears to be. ? ? ?

it's raised, crown too
similar to your example for sure

OP
OP
ironhorse

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Perhaps George Davidson Victorian glass.

it appears that Davidson glass is known more for their decorative and art glass;in the humble beginnings of the company they may have produced more utilitarian things like bottle stoppers

the marks are not identical, but again could have been an earlier more primitive variation of the now famous company's mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions