ScubaFinder

Bronze Member
Jul 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
AquaPulse AQ1B - AquaPulse DX-200 Magnetometer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Here is a little bronze breech loader we (Anchor Research & Salvage SRL) found last year in the Dominican Republic. Not only did we find the cannon with the initials N B on it, but we found the matching breech block with the same initials, and subsequently we found the wedge (awaiting division), and we think maybe we even found the monkey tail (bar that sticks out the back where the cascabel would normally be) on an earlier mission to the same area.

Anyways, we recently got it in after division and have removed the encrustation in preparation for conservation. Enjoy the pics, and any info anyone can share is always appreciated.

Jason

Attachments

• DSCN1170 copy.jpg
    DSCN1170 copy.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCN1171 copy.jpg
    DSCN1171 copy.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 199
  • DSCN1172 copy.jpg
    DSCN1172 copy.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 200
  • DSCN1179 copy.jpg
    DSCN1179 copy.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 5,519
  • DSCN1180 copy.jpg
    DSCN1180 copy.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN1187 copy.jpg
    DSCN1187 copy.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 173
  • DSCN1185 copy.jpg
    DSCN1185 copy.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCN1182 copy.jpg
    DSCN1182 copy.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DSCN1181 copy.jpg
    DSCN1181 copy.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 197
Jason,Great pics.Mike

Hey Don,

I haven't done a full cannon data sheet on it yet, but the basics, it's 45" long without the monkey tail and the bore is 3". I will try to get a full cannon data sheet done this week and post.

Jason

Man, great find Jason. How you been my friend. Been a few years since I got to the Treasure Coast.

Awesome recovery! Thats the first breach loader I've seen like that. I hope you have the tail make it complete.

That one is awesome! Thanks for sharing those great pics!

How about the locking pin that secures the breech (goes in the back of breech)... did you find that also?
TW

Last edited:
We found a wedge that my archaeologists tell me went behind the breech to secure the block in place, and also a bronze monkey-tail that goes in the hole at the back of the barrel. I haven't seen any pins that go with this, but I don't claim to know everything either. :-)

I'll know more once the next shipment of artifacts gets here...its like Christmas morning when the container comes in. I'll definitely update this thread when the accessories get here.

Jason, my dear friend!

Let's try to find out what these abbreviations "N.B." means.... Could you imagine to decode it?? It would mean to most probably have the ship with history, dates and names..... Real story together with real artifacts. Man, I am glad and proud to work with Bobby and company team members like you.....!

Best regards,
Lobo

Jason, my dear friend!

Let's try to find out what these abbreviations "N.B." means.... Could you imagine to decode it?? It would mean to most probably have the ship with history, dates and names..... Real story together with real artifacts. Man, I am glad and proud to work with Bobby and company team members like you.....!

Best regards,
Lobo

I have a few wild guesses but will keep them to myself because my knowledge of European history ends about 12th grade. Moreover, I am puzzled on the nationality. The cross seems spanish, though similar have been found on Medeval English Coins. The other example submitted suggests French. Yet, the NB reminds me of i.d. marks found on English musket parts here in Florida. Can someone please clarify the origin/date because I am completely puzzled.

BTW-- Amazing historic find and I so appreciate its discovery being shared on this BB.

Last edited:
No, it's not French. The cross above the initials would have been a fleur-d-lis if it was. The same style of cross was used by both the English and the Spanish. The shield and initials seem strange, crude for something as valuable as a bronze cannon.

Don, that cannon is like a sister to the one I have. All the lines and markings are in the same spots, it even has the same strange muzzle shape. I cannot find numbers or markings on this cannon anywhere, nothing near the breech, nothing on the trunions. The only markings are the N.B. under the cross. Our dive team estimates this wreck to be early to mid 16th century based on anchor styles and other finds in the immediate area.

On the last cannon that Don posted, whats up with this cross? I've never seen that version on anything. I have to assume this cannon was made in the same shop, probably cast from the same mold with the shield being an identical match. Only the inscriptions are different.

Jason

Attachments

• can101_02.jpg
    can101_02.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 186

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back