Ray McAllister passes over the bar.

SteveS

Apr 29, 2007
RayMcAllister, or more commonly known as Dr. Ray, passed away this week at age 89. Many in the diving community knew him here in Florida. After serving in the Army in WWII, Dr. Ray earned his doctorate degree from Texas A&M in 1958 and became a professor at Florida Atlantic university and was instrumental in starting the Ocean Engineering Department there, which is now highly regarded as one of the best in the world. He also helped to start the now annual human powered submarine races which attracts military and university people from around the world. Ray worked on a number of shipwreck projects and was a longtime member of the Marine Archaeological Council. He kept diving until just a couple of years ago.

I had the pleasure of working with him and he will be missed by many. Services are at St Paul's Catholic church in Lighthouse Point tomorrow. .

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
Dons place 005 (1).jpg I am proud to say that Dr. Ray was a friend
of mine... Not to many people know that Dr. Ray had a Diver Training License
from Scripp"s Institute.... ITS issue number was #001 !

Dr. Ray hooked me up with David Eller of MWI in the early
days when we were experimenting with unique undersea excavation
techniques...

Dr. Ray was a ladies man as well... and appreciated a good woman
around most of the time....

He truly was a pioneer in the undersea world and will sorely be missed!

Thank you Dr. Ray for considering me as a friend or yours.
I hope others in our field will speak of the benefits
of just knowing this fine gentleman.

Capt Dom

capt dom

Nov 9, 2006
Jupiter, Florida USA
RayMcAllister, or more commonly known as Dr. Ray, passed away this week at age 89. Many in the diving community knew him here in Florida. After serving in the Army in WWII, Dr. Ray earned his doctorate degree from Texas A&M in 1958 and became a professor at Florida Atlantic university and was instrumental in starting the Ocean Engineering Department there, which is now highly regarded as one of the best in the world. He also helped to start the now annual human powered submarine races which attracts military and university people from around the world. Ray worked on a number of shipwreck projects and was a longtime member of the Marine Archaeological Council. He kept diving until just a couple of years ago.

I had the pleasure of working with him and he will be missed by many. Services are at St Paul's Catholic church in Lighthouse Point tomorrow. .

What time are the services please...

Capt Dom

Denniss

Jan 7, 2011
Fort Pierce, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Fisher Impulse, Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
RIP Dr Ray

He was a pioneer in the oceanographic community and always had a good story.

He did it all

Cirriculum Vitae

His diving locations books, shore dives and boat dives are used by almost every recreational diver in south florida

wavecrazed

Jul 21, 2009
Orlando FLorida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Excallibur 1000, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember my days in West Palm. The young guys from the college would try their submersibles at the landings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread