Brooch With Saphire

crazydigger

Jan 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
???
I really really wish I new what this is. I dug it about 7" down and had a solid silver hit. It was packed with dirt and cleaned up the same as any other silver finds. The latch works fine as well. Are the rocks of any value? Where do I take it for an honest appraisal?

This hobby is unbelievably addicting......my kids think I'm weird!

Thanks!

Attachments

• brooch1.JPG
    brooch1.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 461
  • brooch1.JPG
    brooch1.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 460
  • brooch2.JPG
    brooch2.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it we're me i'd take it to a jewery store and ask them to look at it.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a gorgeous find there crazydigger! :notworthy:
Now I'm not a gemologist but that center stone is probably some type of rock crystal. They're usually backed with blue metal foil underneath the mounting to give it that color. It looks to be very well made, probably from the 1930's or 40's. But, I do hope I'm wrong with my assessment ! :dontknow:

Very nice find! :icon_thumright:

Dave

OP
OP
crazydigger

crazydigger

Jan 8, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Antiquarian said:
That's a gorgeous find there crazydigger! :notworthy:
Now I'm not a gemologist but that center stone is probably some type of rock crystal. They're usually backed with blue metal foil underneath the mounting to give it that color. It looks to be very well made, probably from the 1930's or 40's. But, I do hope I'm wrong with my assessment ! :dontknow:

Very nice find! :icon_thumright:

Dave
Thanks Dave!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???

Attachments

• brooch2.JPG
    brooch2.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 399

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I am sort of a gemologist, and I have played one on TV. Here is one rule of thumb--they usually did not put expensive stones in sterling, let alone pot metal. Gold or platinum. Big stone doesn't look like a good sapphire, or even a bad one. Little stones---the rest of the piece will tell you. The colored foil backing is a good thing to look for, and a good call. I am amazed that the pin works. Clean it up--it's a good piece to have. Who knows, broaches may be back in vogue some day.

I purchased my wife's grandfather's house, built in 1927 and he purchased it in 1946 and lived there almost 50 years. I also found a small broach, pot metal, many of the "stones" were missing. I often wondered if her grandmother lost it. Would have been the right kind of thing for a little old German lady to wear in 1950, like this one.

djabend

Dec 12, 2006
Cicero, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 300 Sunray DX-1 probe/ XLT Sunray XL-1 probe
Meh, even if its glass, its an awesome find. Sure has that silver look to it. If it is plated, its well plated.

HH,
Donny

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

That is a very fine piece of costume jewelry :o Brass with Silver wash over...I would say late 19th early 20thc ...very nice :icon_thumleft:

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread