First Post, First Silver, First Gold?

TRowe257

Apr 19, 2011
Mid-Missouri
I just want to preface this post by saying this forum has been a joy to follow. I've been reading the various topics, and am amazed by the general enthusiasm for this hobby, as well as the treasures so many of you regularly find. I've had a couple of metal detectors for a few years, but have only recently started using them.

My wife and I purchased an old farm house in 2007. According to the County Assessor, it is estimated to have been built sometime prior to 1880. The original abstract shows the land as being purchased in 1834, if I recall correctly. Last weekend, I had a little bit of spare time and decided to see what I could dig up in my front yard. After quickly locating a couple 1911 wheat pennies, I started to wonder why I hadn't started detecting in my yard a long time ago. Surprisingly, I've found more interesting things than not, and most of the "junk" I dig up are old bits of wire and square nails.

So, there's one thing I found in particular that really blew me away. I was scanning an area near the original brick walkway that lead to the street, and got a fairly strong signal, but the target indicator on my Ace 250 was kind of bouncing around. I contemplated not digging it for a few seconds, thinking it was probably just another nail. After those few seconds passed, I pinpointed the target and started making my hole. I quickly located the target about 3" down, but wasn't sure what it was. It looked like some sort of lapel pin, or something. I took it inside and washed it off, and was instantly bitten by "the bug".

What I had unearthed was a very detailed, fully intact pin. It featured a silver eagle grasping a shield bearing the stars and stripes, on top of a pair of gold anchors. Embossed on the back of the eagle was "N.S. Meyer Inc. New York Sterling", below it a small shield with a cross on it. On the reverse of the anchor was stamped "1/20 10K Sterling". A quick search on the internet revealed I probably had a US Navy WW2 Officer's Pin. Definitely not the coolest, or oldest thing I've seen on here, but it was a very exciting start to what I think will be a very fun hobby. Regarding the "gold?" in the title of this post, I think the anchors may be 10K gold plated silver, but I'm not positive.

Below are a couple pictures of the pin, as well as some of the more interesting things I found this weekend. I'd really like to know your thoughts on the pin, as well as the other items. With the exception of the two rusted metal rings, which I found at a depth of about 1', I believe they're probably all from around the same time period.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to be able to post some new finds in the future.

Tim

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 516
  • IMG_0292.JPG
    IMG_0292.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 523
  • IMG_0288.JPG
    IMG_0288.JPG
    203.9 KB · Views: 518
  • IMG_0293.JPG
    IMG_0293.JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 515
  • IMG_0287.JPG
    IMG_0287.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
You have my interest piqued! I think that anchor pin is wonderful, and much more interesting than the assorted junque I usually return home with.

EVERYONE should begin learning their detector by hunting THEIR OWN YARD first.

floodcitykid

Nov 3, 2008
Appomattox coVirginia
Detector(s) used
whites eagle spectrum
fisher gold bug
NICE!!!!!

Try to locate the privy, might want to see if there are any old platt maps down at the county office of records/tax acessors....

TFCK

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds Tim! :notworthy:
Love the Bow-Tie brooch & the cufflink!

Welcome to Tnet! :hello:

Dave

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Hunting.....for sure, one of the most addictive pleasures in the world. But,
also, one that will be rewarding physically: bend over 200 times in 3 hours.....works muscles that
there are no names for yet. be rewarding historically: you will find stuff that you have no idea what
it/they is/are. Then, you will post them to Tnet, and one of the great historians on this net will tell
you what you have, opening up brand new doors of info. And, occasionally this hobby will be rewarding financially, as you have seen. I can only hope that you enjoy it as much as I have.
The pin is a beauty.....can't help on the i.d. Saw a pair of the round rings attached by a chain just a few days ago on Tnet. Think that they probably were used on animals, or was a kind of lock on a fence......seems that I can remember using something like them at my grandfather's farm, to secure one of his gates.
Good luck...... :thumbsup:

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
what an incredible place to learn how to detect!! good stuff already. congrats and good luck.

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
I also love your gunner. I agree with the WWI diagnosis. I once found a cavalry solider, Spanish-American war by the uniform. They probably still make the same ones today, even with the same molds, but in all likelyhood the "found" ones are period. Well done, soldier.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread