Bubba's Remington: Before and After

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This 22 Remington started life as a 513-T target rifle. A 27" bull barrel and a heavy target stock .22 LR. They came out as training rifles for the military in 1942. After the war they were used by high schools and colleges for marksmanship training. As shooting in schools faded, they were available for cheap in the 60s-70s. This is what a new 513-T looked like.
DSC07877a.jpg

Since they were available cheap, some guys cut down the barrel and stock to use them for squirrel hunting I suppose. Bubba destroyed a nice rifle by doing this. And here is my bubba rifle.
022.JPG
Short, fat, and ugly. I bought if from an old WW2 vet that was state big bore rifle champ in the 60s. He gave me a good price on a M-70 and wanted me to buy this one too. I paid $250 for it, which I thought too much, but he was 95 and wanted rid of them so I helped him out. I went to work on it. I turned the barrel down to 5/8" and made a new stock. I tossed the scope and weaver mounts and found a vintage Redfield one piece base with a flip up peep sight. Redfield rings and a 2-7X Redfield scope with dot reticle took care of the scope. I drilled and tapped the barrel for another vintage item, a Williams ramp front sight with hood. I stained and finished the stock with poly and carved it. I think it came out pretty good. So good that I picked up another one and I'm just about to finish up number two.
019.JPG
021.JPG
020.JPG
thumbnail_IMG_0716.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
This 22 Remington started life as a 513-T target rifle. A 27" bull barrel and a heavy target stock .22 LR. They came out as training rifles for the military in 1942. After the war they were used by high schools and colleges for marksmanship training. As shooting in schools faded, they were available for cheap in the 60s-70s. This is what a new 513-T looked like. View attachment 2111800
Since they were available cheap, some guys cut down the barrel and stock to use them for squirrel hunting I suppose. Bubba destroyed a nice rifle by doing this. And here is my bubba rifle. View attachment 2111801 Short, fat, and ugly. I bought if from an old WW2 vet that was state big bore rifle champ in the 60s. He gave me a good price on a M-70 and wanted me to buy this one too. I paid $250 for it, which I thought too much, but he was 95 and wanted rid of them so I helped him out. I went to work on it. I turned the barrel down to 5/8" and made a new stock. I tossed the scope and weaver mounts and found a vintage Redfield one piece base with a flip up peep sight. Redfield rings and a 2-7X Redfield scope with dot reticle took care of the scope. I drilled and tapped the barrel for another vintage item, a Williams ramp front sight with hood. I stained and finished the stock with poly and carved it. I think it came out pretty good. So good that I picked up another one and I'm just about to finish up number two. View attachment 2111802 View attachment 2111803 View attachment 2111804 View attachment 2111806

Wow!

i was all set to ask how Bubba's rifle balanced , and where.
Suddenly it went Mannlicher , and some interesting knock an eye out oak carving!
Plus the barrel being turned.

Somewhere around here is a bent barreled(?) .22 Model 15 I think. With a stock I glued and ran a lag bolt into the grip of to secure a serious crack.
Of course there's some glue stain around the wood button over the bolt hole to tattle on me. And the buttons color.
Kept trying to float the barrel. It seemed to keep leaning regardless. Front sight off to one side to compensate. L.o.l..
There's multiple reasons it was gathering dust in a pawn shop. But some haggling and obvious discounting...I had to try.
i forgot about it. Might have to put in in the projects que again.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might have to put in in the projects que again.
You should do it! Iā€™ve really enjoyed fixing up old guns. Iā€™ve done dozens in the last 43 yrs. I bought guns that were mechanically sound but ā€œcosmetically challenged.ā€šŸ˜¢ New wood, polish out the pits and a fresh blue job. I made quite a bit of money until the gov shut me down. I had an 01 FFL but they moved the goal posts and said I needed a $500 manufacturers license to restore old guns. I said screw you and switched from doing customer guns to just doing them for myself. Iā€™ve restocked and engraved about every gun I own.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You should do it! Iā€™ve really enjoyed fixing up old guns. Iā€™ve done dozens in the last 43 yrs. I bought guns that were mechanically sound but ā€œcosmetically challenged.ā€šŸ˜¢ New wood, polish out the pits and a fresh blue job. I made quite a bit of money until the gov shut me down. I had an 01 FFL but they moved the goal posts and said I needed a $500 manufacturers license to restore old guns. I said screw you and switched from doing customer guns to just doing them for myself. Iā€™ve restocked and engraved about every gun I own.
I really enjoy seeing your work, as I can only dream of having such talents that you have applied.

What a truck load of crap making you pay the $$$ or you're not able to apply your talents.
Too much control over common sense.
Really it's the big manufactures controlling the market, as they'd never be able to produce such quality.
This applies to even eggs-

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That sure is some gorgeous work Mr. Todd... :occasion14:

I have a Mossberg Model 44(b) that my late father bought in 1946. Paid $11.00 for it. It's got the longer, heavy barrel, original peep sight, with the hooded multi-sight front sight.

My dad did a restoration on the stock, and said he re-blued the barrel. The only mistake was he lost the two screws that attach the peep sight to the receiver, and I'm trying to find a source for them now.

I'm at the age where I'd like to pass it on to one of my grandsons, but want it in original condition when I do.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A machinist by trade local gunsmith /shop owner did some work for me.
A skilled man with the right tools made him better suited than I sometimes!
Why I failed fitting a brass nose cap on a piece is such an example. Wood to metal fit and cap to barrel fit , became a wood to metal gap and gap between cap and barrel storage area . Where a storage area wasn't wanted.. Handing him another cap resulted in just what you'd want to see. ( I appear to be the type that can benefit from a good smith being around...)

He enjoyed the gun work. The fixing part. More it seemed than having a shop. He'd just as soon stay in the backroom working.

But yes , he too got fed up with the new (again) license requirements.
Like your opinion , he wasn't manufacturing.
Had he been casting receivers or something. Or stamping them to build AK's. You know.
But to just fix a communities guns including preserving them and keeping them functional , the cost was demanding so much more work , (production by hours in the shop ; not by any actual construction) that it was wrecking his hobby. He already had his machinist job elsewhere. It wasn't like he need more work or another full time job . And he wasn't starving...
So due to the greater cost (again) of being legal added to the rest of the overhead as yet another hoop to jump through , he said the heck with it.

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I tell you gunsmiths are few and far between and are soon to go the way of the Dodo Bird.

Been looking for one to swap the trigger and hammer on a S&W 15-3 for me. It currently wears a semi target hammer and service trigger, want them swapped out with a target hammer and target trigger, so it'll look like what I (We) carried in the USAF when I first came in.

Might end up having to send it to S&W and having them do the work. I worked on flight helmets, O2 masks, NVGs, installed chutes on ejection seats, etc in the AF, but I don't trust myself to swap these two parts out without screwing something up or breaking something.

20230326_141601.jpg
20230920_131002.jpg

20221217_163928.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish you lived closer. I donā€™t claim to be a gunsmith, but I could swap your parts in ten minutes. You should buy a book or go to YouTube and learn to do it. The only tricky part is reinstalling the rebound slide. The spring is a booger!

HistoryHunter22

Apr 19, 2015
Cortland NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 150, bounty hunter gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This 22 Remington started life as a 513-T target rifle. A 27" bull barrel and a heavy target stock .22 LR. They came out as training rifles for the military in 1942. After the war they were used by high schools and colleges for marksmanship training. As shooting in schools faded, they were available for cheap in the 60s-70s. This is what a new 513-T looked like. View attachment 2111800
Since they were available cheap, some guys cut down the barrel and stock to use them for squirrel hunting I suppose. Bubba destroyed a nice rifle by doing this. And here is my bubba rifle. View attachment 2111801 Short, fat, and ugly. I bought if from an old WW2 vet that was state big bore rifle champ in the 60s. He gave me a good price on a M-70 and wanted me to buy this one too. I paid $250 for it, which I thought too much, but he was 95 and wanted rid of them so I helped him out. I went to work on it. I turned the barrel down to 5/8" and made a new stock. I tossed the scope and weaver mounts and found a vintage Redfield one piece base with a flip up peep sight. Redfield rings and a 2-7X Redfield scope with dot reticle took care of the scope. I drilled and tapped the barrel for another vintage item, a Williams ramp front sight with hood. I stained and finished the stock with poly and carved it. I think it came out pretty good. So good that I picked up another one and I'm just about to finish up number two. View attachment 2111802 View attachment 2111803 View attachment 2111804 View attachment 2111806
thats a real nice piece of work my guy!!!! honestly, thats special, and would love to own that art work!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions