Custom Carved Stock....!

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
This rifle was posted on a gun forum I'm a member of. Owner granted me permission to share it with yall here.

This is a stock on a Steyr made M1895 Mannlicher rifle (Don't know if the buttplate is just a carved line or separate wooden piece). The rifle is a WWII bring back, by the owners Great Uncle, and obviously the stock was this way when aquired in WWII.

Just look at the carvings on the stock, a perfect example of old school and old world craftsmanship.

As for the carvings, the language appears to be Serbian. This is my loose translation of it, told him he'd need to find a native Serbian speaker to get a better translation. There is one letter I'm not sure of.

Top line of buttstock. УРУКАМА МАНДШКЋА ВУКА aka BY or IN THE HANDS OF A MANDUŠIĆ VUK. He is a hero in Serbian history.

Middle line of buttstock possibly. ПОР.СТО.САКС aka POR.STO.SAKS, or ЏОР.СТО.САКС aka JOR.STO.SAX or ЦОР.СТО.САКС aka COR.HUNDRED.SAX, they're either initials or some sort of acronym. I'm lost on this one. I keep coming back to references to CCCC aka Serbian Cross in my searches. Can't tell which one of the following is correct for the first term ПОР or ЏОР or ЦОР.

Bottom line of buttstock possibly СВАКОЈ ЈЕЦУШКА УБОЈИТА aka KILLED EVERY SINGLE.

Under the bolt ОСВЕТА КОСОВА 1912 - 18г aka REVENGE OF KOSOVO 1912-18. On 18г, г means God or year.

Then the coin inset into the stock.

АЛЕКСАНДАР I. КРАЉ СРБА, ХРВАТА И СЛОВЕНАЦА A.PATEY aka Alexander I, King of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes.

Alexander I, was King of the Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes from 1921 to 1929, and King of Yugoslavia from 1929 until his assassination in 1934.

20231024_115525.jpg
20231024_115519.jpg
20231024_115515.jpg

Last edited:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A Beautiful work of art. A True Artist carved this. Lot's of patience, and a lot of Talent.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Got a better translation of the top and middle of the buttstock inscription, from a native Serbian speaker. Not to far off, not bad for a Florida redneck.

УРУКАМА МАНДШКЋА ВУКА СВАКОЈ ЈЕЦУШКА УБОЈИТА translates as IN THE HANDS OF MANDUŠIĆ VUK EVERY RIFLE IS DEADLY.

And MANDUŠIĆ VUK is believed to not be the one I referenced. I thought maybe it was in tribute to him in a way. Like invoking his name and heroism into the then current fight/struggle.

Last edited:

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandfather was in WW2. At the end of the war he was in Innsbruck Austria. He pulled guard duty at a big tent full of all types of civilian rifles and shotguns that the nazis had confiscated. He said there was a constant stream of officers going through taking whatever they wanted. I don’t think there was any shortage of fancy guns brought back from Europe. Now, 75 yrs later, many are surfacing again as the WW2 generation dies out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread