Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Makes me think of a French made silver bat (as in batman) I seen sell a few weeks back. It got like $1,500+. It's insane how much things change with a name, and it sure pays to know them if silver is what you hunt. (or I guess be able to google them on the spot)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being 70 grams, you would think so. It is actually between 6-7" long.

BTW, my wife really likes it so I guess I am keeping it.

Money in the bank!

Funny, as much as some of what goes through my hands is absolutely killer, I just don't have the urge to keep it. I think I sort of programmed myself that way, and it's a bit ironic because I'm the very addictive personality type.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money in the bank!

Funny, as much as some of what goes through my hands is absolutely killer, I just don't have the urge to keep it. I think I sort of programmed myself that way, and it's a bit ironic because I'm the very addictive personality type.
I hear you. I'm always thinking "how much can I get for it?". I don't really have an attachment to anything, as everything has a price. I just wish I could get rid of it all. Too much stock, not enough time to list everything I buy.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear you. I'm always thinking "how much can I get for it?". I don't really have an attachment to anything, as everything has a price. I just wish I could get rid of it all. Too much stock, not enough time to list everything I buy.

It gets easier when I compare it to my detecting finds, because that is the stuff I have the connection too. There's not much of a memory when you buy something off Craigslist or Ebay, but then again I know I look back at some of my best buys with a smile on my face. Still not the same as digging though.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It gets easier when I compare it to my detecting finds, because that is the stuff I have the connection too. There's not much of a memory when you buy something off Craigslist or Ebay, but then again I know I look back at some of my best buys with a smile on my face. Still not the same as digging though.

The more easilly replaced an item is, the easier it is to get rid of it. The only "purchased" thing I ever REGRET selling was a seated dime love token with a CC mintmark. Probably because I know the odds of finding another are low.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more easilly replaced an item is, the easier it is to get rid of it. The only "purchased" thing I ever REGRET selling was a seated dime love token with a CC mintmark. Probably because I know the odds of finding another are low.

Can't work that way for me because I have a very long list of stuff I'll never come across again. There has been some things that surprised me though, and I did get a 2nd time, but you sure don't expect it. It's exactly how my detecting is... you never expect a double of a great find, but it can and does happen for us here. In 2001 my friend found an extremely rare token and in early 2002 when he sold it, it was the first to go up for sale in almost 50 years. Then another friend found one, then my regular digging bud found one, then I found one, and then one of the guys who is our competition found one. This was over a 10 year period but these account for at least half of them known which are in private hands. (the government collection has 2 or 3) It's really strange how things can happen.

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money in the bank!

I hear ya, I have an addictive personality type as well. I used to keep everything, I had to program myself to love the sale more than the item. The only things I never get rid of are items passed down through the family, no matter how valuable.

or, of course as the OP stated, anything my girlfriend likes never gets sold either :laughing7:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya, I have an addictive personality type as well. I used to keep everything, I had to program myself to love the sale more than the item. The only things I never get rid of are items passed down through the family, no matter how valuable.

or, of course as the OP stated, anything my girlfriend likes never gets sold either :laughing7:

I often say it's a game to me, and actually does feel like one since it's all done online. The bad part is it's also easy to squander the profits feeling that way so I try to keep telling myself it's more of a business than fun... but it is usually fun.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread