Crazy amount of auction views?

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I currently have a few auctions on eBay right now that have an oddly high number of views. They're three similar items in three separate auctions, ending tomorrow after seven days, and all of them have just over 400 views. But they each have less than 5 watchers, and all only have two bids so far. I have a few auctions going of slightly different items in similar categories, and they have a much more familiar view count of 40 to 50.

I just can't figure out why those three have so many views. They don't show up at the top if you browse the category by Best Match, and I honestly don't think they're really the sort of thing that would draw that many views. Any ideas what might be happening? Is there some sniping program that constantly refreshes the page? I'm not complaining, I'm just puzzled...

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Is there any chance that your item was mentioned on a forum such as this?

I recently started a thread on a race forum asking about a vintage race ticket stub, and provided a link to the ebay auction. The thread got quite a few views.

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
I did, but the thread I linked them in only has about 125 views. And only three of the six auctions I mentioned are getting the huge amount of views.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently ran an auction for 10 days. Ended up with 180 views and sold for $355... starting bid $9.95

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what type of answer you would expect not giving any details. I have had things with 15-20 watchers that were less than impressive at close which is even more strange than lots of view and few tracking.... but that's how it goes. In your case the only guess I could make is the title sounds a whole lot better than the item, and it may be just one thing that's driving most of the views. But again, it's impossible to do anything other than guess with no details.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Not sure what type of answer you would expect not giving any details. I have had things with 15-20 watchers that were less than impressive at close which is even more strange than lots of view and few tracking.... but that's how it goes. In your case the only guess I could make is the title sounds a whole lot better than the item, and it may be just one thing that's driving most of the views. But again, it's impossible to do anything other than guess with no details.

I agree.

I recently had a book that had 300+ views and 26 watchers. I really thought it would sell for $300 to $500, but ended at $59. What a disappointment!!!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
could be shutins because of the blizzard. wouldn't be silver would it?

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry I didn't give out any specific details, I didn't want to get in trouble for advertising. The three items with crazy views are non-silver Kennedy halves with curved clip errors. 50 more views each since I started this thread seven hours ago but no new watchers or bids. The titles are very plain: "1991 D Kennedy Half Dollar Curved Clip Mint Error," for example.

I think what's bothering me about the situation is that either the view count is being inflated somehow, or a lot of people are expecting something very different when they click on the link.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are collectors and are attracted to the word "error" but just aren't interested in the item... Simple as that... Not all of the views are from ebayers either... Anyone searching google for error coins may see a link to your auction and click it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I didn't give out any specific details, I didn't want to get in trouble for advertising. The three items with crazy views are non-silver Kennedy halves with curved clip errors. 50 more views each since I started this thread seven hours ago but no new watchers or bids. The titles are very plain: "1991 D Kennedy Half Dollar Curved Clip Mint Error," for example.

I think what's bothering me about the situation is that either the view count is being inflated somehow, or a lot of people are expecting something very different when they click on the link.

If you start listings low you will tend to pick up a lot of watchers early so it can be very deceiving. What you look for is if you keep gaining them even when the item starts getting close to the price you'd be happy with. Starting auctions at 0.99 is very common for me so I tend to stick to my gut feeling how something will do and not pay much attention to the watch count.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are collectors and are attracted to the word "error" but just aren't interested in the item... Simple as that... Not all of the views are from ebayers either... Anyone searching google for error coins may see a link to your auction and click it.

You got it. Most people who know what they're doing tend to search coins by category, but they will also use some key words to search, and error is basically the only word to use for someone who collects error coins and that is why all the hits. I figured knowing the details it would make sense.

OP
OP
C

clorox

Jun 1, 2012
Northern California
Primary Interest:
Other
Well they all ended up with a little more than 700 views each! I was hoping they'd hit 1000, just because it'd be neat, but they fell a bit short. Totally happy with the final prices, too!

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know personally I view coin errors all the time on ebay to get an idea of what to look our for CRH. because I hunt for them, I of course never place any bids

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread