DSCN0227.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 684

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
That is a great idea. All the the floats that I have seen have been much smaller (gold pan size). You can filter out a lot of stuff very quickly with your bucket. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
I used to use a gold pan classifier, but it would tip easy, I belive you could use this in the surf pretty safely, Id get a white bucket though. I got the idea from a guy that uses one like this inside another bucket for dry land huntin.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've seen some heavy duty plastic screening at Southern States which can be attached with plastic gromits such as the type used in the automive industry.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
When i go fishing I use 2-5 gallon buckets for bait, one inside the other. I just drilled a bunch of small holes in the bottom of one of the buckets instead of the mesh. I use that bucket for looking for fossils and artifacts also.

HH Charlie

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like this idea, but I think I would modify the bucket size and make it less deep. Thanks for posting this idea.

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
deffinetly after using it I recommend a shorter bucket for a little shallower water and a white bucket

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 2 gallon white bucket and the plastic mesh screen. I'll be postin pics when I get it completed

OP
OP
texan connection

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
I havent tried plastic screen but my wire screen (1/4 inch) is starting to show some wear, after many hrs (probaly 100 hrs use , Im estimating). Love to see the pics. The good thing about the bucket is in sand I can just dump and go to the next target, let it sift naturaly. I check it every once in a while, I can cover more ground in a short time that way. If the bottoms a little to muddy Im not sure if im saving time or not as it takes while to shake out the mud.

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
this would also work in very trashy areas to hold bigger trash so you wouldnt have to make so many trips to the trash can

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
As an alternative to both plastic (nylon) screen, or normal metal screen, you could ask around at any place that does repair, or servicing of semi trucks for used air filters. They wrap them in a sheet of perforated/drilled stainless steel. And the holes are spaced widely enough that you could drill them out some more if they're too small. I'm using the same material as a guard for the exhaust pipe on my bike. While I think of it, the exhaust guards they use on semi's are just thicker chromed steel, or stainless steel with larger holes in it. That might have some potential use for gold panners too.

F.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I used to live close to the beach, I had a "float" made from 1" x 6" wood put together in a box with marine nails and stainles steel punch plate. Stretched a car inner tube around it. A piece of rope with a clip & a used belt. Used that one for over a year. Rebuilt it made a box inside a box with a couple of S/S hinges. This allowed me to just flip it without the hassle of flipping the whole float to get rid of shekks & rocks. Later added a snap hook to hang a divers goodie bag for the trash. The rebuild lasted another year or so, gave it to a buddy when I moved & he used it quite a while after that. Not bad for a rig that cost literally nothing.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was reading your post. Here is a bucket sifter I use for artifacts in the river. I used 1/4 mesh and drilled holes around it and wired in the mesh.
Good luck!
TnMtns

Attachments

• 100_2525.JPG
    100_2525.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 467
  • 100_2525.JPG
    100_2525.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 448

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread