buffalo nickel question.

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easily a good deal IMO. Of course the condition most would be nice to know to =)

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you could take those 500 coins and teach 500 kids the joy of coin collection--and hand each kid a coin in the process--your 'supplies' cost per child of 15 cents I think would be a great investment.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
dateless is dateless and the condition is poor. Some folks take ferric chloride and lift the dates and make sets but they have little value unless they are a rare date. Dealers are selling dateless buffalos for 14 cents each and you pay shipping so it is a wash on paying 15 cents each. siegfried schlagrule

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Not a bad deal. See if you can haggle him down a little ;D. If you wanted to make a small proffit you could break them down into smaller lots 25 or so and sell them to somebody who makes jewelry or is looking to start a collection. Look at the lots on Ebay and see what they are going for. Giving some to kids is allways a good move too, generate some good karma for yourself amigo :thumbsup:

Acevillav

prospectorYorkPA

Jan 16, 2007
York, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism III
If dateless, worth 5 cents. If you can read the date. maybe 15 cents. Doubt if any are of any major consequence. Spend your $75 and buy one high grade coin.
Andy

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
prospectorYorkPA said:
If dateless, worth 5 cents. If you can read the date. maybe 15 cents. Doubt if any are of any major consequence. Spend your $75 and buy one high grade coin.
Andy

I totaly agree with prospector take the money and invest in an MS 59 plus coin.

Burdie

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how could a person or a dealer fall on so many dateless coins-
smells fishy to me - big time

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
bradyboy said:
how could a person or a dealer fall on so many dateless coins-
smells fishy to me - big time

bb, Dealers and wholesalers continually buy numismatic estates. They go through and pull the culls and sell them. Eventually, if they didn't, they would have thousands of dateless buffalo nickels. Jewelry and belt buckle makers buy them. Some people try to make complete dateless sets of buffalos. Very rarely they will find a 1918/7-d variety or a 1916 double die. Standard fee for each slick buffalo is 14 to 18 cents in quantity. siegfried schlagrule

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
I agree with what Mack said. If you can afford it, and if you know sone young 'uns who might be able to use these as seeds for a future collection, I'd say buy them and spread them around. I recently did something similar when I bought a bunch of Ike's on ebay for about $1.40 per coin, and then started giving a few out to a few of my son's friends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions