Grade and Book Value?

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I purchased this 1783 Nova Constellatio Blunt Rays coin a few days ago and I have done some research on its history but have no knowledge about its book value or grade. I found one like it metal detecting that had very little graphics and wanted this coin to show friends what mine actually looked like. Can anyone give me a approximate grade and book value? I plan on keeping it but Im curious about its grade and value. All letters and embossings are there although some letters show up better than others. Seller had it graded as good.

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 224
  • 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    21.8 KB · Views: 220
S

stefen

Just curious.

Doing the research regarding grading and values after the purchase is like closing the barn door after the horse got out.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grading and pricing colonials is not as cut and dried as regular issue US coins. There are many variables to consider, eye appeal and surface quality are often more important than grading by wear or remaining detail. What it is worth depends on how many collectors want it at any given time. Regardless, it is a nice historic relic of an interesting time in US history.

OP
OP
undertaker

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
I hear you and definitly agree. US large cents and bust halfs along with your other US coins have pretty predictable price ranges. Colonial coppers like the Novas, Vermonts, Conn, Mass ect... have price ranges that are all over the place. Ive seen some that are almost unidentifiable go for more than I thought and others that are decent go for less. I guess its all about how bad some one wants one that determines the price and of course condition issues.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread