BuffaloBoys penny box 12/24/11

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuffaloBoy's penny box 12/24/11

Hi all, this will not be a silver christmas this year, but it will definately bring some bread to the table. (Bread is made of wheat*) for those who don't get it.

The take:
21 wheat pennies, oldest being 1926, including a 1947 R/B and 1957 R/B wheats.
Also 6 canadians including a 1951 King.

Hope everybody enjoys their christmas, if you don't celebrate christmas, happy holidays!!!

...should get 1 last search in this year- 1 box of halves and 2 boxes of dimes. They come in tuesday.

BuffaloBoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BuffaloBoy's penny box 12/24/11 (with copper percentage)

I also was curious on my copper percentage, so I sorted all PRE 1981 pennies to find my 100% accurate copper percent. I did not sort 1982 because some of those are zinc.

The take for copper: 681 copper pennies, or 27.24%.

I do not save copper, so those will be released back into the wild.

:icon_sunny:

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: BuffaloBoy's penny box 12/24/11

Nice finds. Great pun and nice job on finding the king. Looks a lot better than the queen in my opinion. She is getting too old, we need another king on the throne.

Merry christmas.

The_EE

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2011
Constant state of misery
Primary Interest:
Other

BuffaloBoy said:
I also was curious on my copper percentage, so I sorted all PRE 1981 pennies to find my 100% accurate copper percent. I did not sort 1982 because some of those are zinc.

The take for copper: 681 copper pennies, or 27.24%.

I do not save copper, so those will be released back into the wild.

:icon_sunny:

Buy a scale.

2.9-3.1 grams is copper, 2.6 and below isnt.

I weigh all my 1982 pennies. Takes very little time to do and it gets you some extra copper. In fact, once sorted, the weighing of the 82's to weed out the copper going super fast. Plus the scale is handy in others areas like, buying silver, gold, platinum. Weighing coins to make sure they are not fakes etc.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: BuffaloBoy's penny box 12/24/11

That Canadian Guy said:
Nice finds. Great pun and nice job on finding the king. Looks a lot better than the queen in my opinion. She is getting too old, we need another king on the throne.

Merry christmas.
I got the older king as well. In march of this year, the same box I got my indian head penny in(1904), produced a 1929 canadian penny.

I love finding canadian money in my boxes, I keep them all. Just goes toward my foreign coin baggie, lots of goodies in there, mainly from nickel and penny boxes. I will post the contents at the end of the year :D

I also get a lot of canadian change from the coin machine magnet including a 1996 $2 canadian toonie yesterday 8)

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buy a scale.

2.9-3.1 grams is copper, 2.6 and below isnt.

I weigh all my 1982 pennies. Takes very little time to do and it gets you some extra copper. In fact, once sorted, the weighing of the 82's to weed out the copper going super fast. Plus the scale is handy in others areas like, buying silver, gold, platinum. Weighing coins to make sure they are not fakes etc.
[/quote] Thanks for the helpful tip. I do not save the copper pennies other than anything older than 1959, I apppreciate the information. Maybe some day I will start to save those coppers, but right now, I have a feeling copper will be around for at least a good 15 years or more(in large quanities)

Have a wonderful holiday! :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread