OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Viper,
Best to you my friend.... Hope to cross paths with you someday,
Joe

Joe,

I need to just get back to enjoy getting out and prospecting and having fund. Was never my intentions of building prospecting equipment. Hell it was more to help others out as I was not making any money at it. I just finished up a Miller Table for Jeff and lo and behold I started getting people want to buy the Miller Table... LOL

Jeff21.jpg

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Viper Vac, Tesoro Vaquero
and a 30 year old Radio Shack Detector :)
Primary Interest:
Other
I hear you..... I use to fabricate full boat tops for myself and a few friends and that blew up into a very big time consuming thing and i finally gave it up. sold all my supplies on ebay with 83 listings going at one time. I just gave that up too and shut it down...... Now i just hang around go out in the desert with the zuk and watch Judge Judy LOL.
We're pretty close so will run into you sooner or later.
Hey..... Nice Miller Table, Can i get one? Only kidding the crack vac and a metal detector is enough for me.
I belong to GPAA and if your ever heading out to the Abby Claims just north of me let me know.
Other than that good luck in your ventures.
Joe

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello AzViper,

First I just want to thank you for sharing your awesome design! I have been interested in getting a gas powered vac for some time, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen available commercially, and the prices... forget it!

So I am in the process of collecting the parts to build my own. I purchased an Echo PB251 off of Craigslist in brand new condition (only used one time for 30 minutes!) with two sets of spare parts for $100. And I ordered a bucket and lid from the link you provided. I have several questions I would like to ask you.
1) The bucket lid does not come with a gasket. Where did you get your gasket? Or did you make it?
2) I cannot find a 2-1/2" PVC elbow at my local Lowes or Home Depot. Where did you get yours?
3) Why don't you just glue the elbow to the 1/2 of the 2" coupler?
4) What is the part shown in these two pictures?
attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks again for sharing this awesome build! Next I'm going to check out your other projects - in particular, the blue bowl. Although I'd love to have a trommel... 8-)

Ron

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello AzViper,

First I just want to thank you for sharing your awesome design! I have been interested in getting a gas powered vac for some time, but I haven't been impressed with what I've seen available commercially, and the prices... forget it!

So I am in the process of collecting the parts to build my own. I purchased an Echo PB251 off of Craigslist in brand new condition (only used one time for 30 minutes!) with two sets of spare parts for $100. And I ordered a bucket and lid from the link you provided. I have several questions I would like to ask you.
1) The bucket lid does not come with a gasket. Where did you get your gasket? Or did you make it?
2) I cannot find a 2-1/2" PVC elbow at my local Lowes or Home Depot. Where did you get yours?
3) Why don't you just glue the elbow to the 1/2 of the 2" coupler?
4) What is the part shown in these two pictures?

Thanks again for sharing this awesome build! Next I'm going to check out your other projects - in particular, the blue bowl. Although I'd love to have a trommel... 8-)

Ron

Hi Ron,

That part is what I use to knock out the hole in the side of the bucket. It's used in the electrical field and call a Greenlee knockout punch. You do not need it as its expensive.

The elbow can be purchased at a local plumbing outlet like Ferguson Supply. HD and Lowes do not carry anything larger than 2". The reason I went with 2.5" is the compression coupling you need to buy at HD is slightly larger that the ID of the elbow and you will need to use a sanding dish to enlarge the elbow. Plus the hose kit you will buy from Lowes will fit the the ID of the 2" compression fitting. Remember you want the intake to be as large as you can, by restricting the size will restrict air flow.

You DO NOT need a bucket seal for the lid. Once the lid is turned and locked into position the suction will pull the lid tight, but if you want to make a seal find some 1/8 round rubber and use super glue to glue the ends to make a gasket. The stock rubber seal from a paint bucket is to large and will not allow the lid to turn to the lock position, I am not sure that 1/8" rubber will either, but you can try.

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those who have been asking if I would reconsidering making the kits. There is a good chance I will in the future.

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
AzViper - got my cutting boards machined by a local shop - across the street from my work - they did it for free! I'm getting ready to assemble it and I was wondering - how does the 2.5" vacuum hose fit to the 2" compression coupling? Are the ends of the hose 2" or do you need an adapter or...?

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For those who have been asking if I would reconsidering making the kits. There is a good chance I will in the future.

Still waiting on miller kits. Lol
Buuut, prob not soon enough :)

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK just got back from the 100 mile round-trip to Lowe's with my vacuum hose, crevice tool, and screws/nuts. But I can't seem to find the material to make the blower gasket anywhere - went to Lowe's, Home Depot and True Value - no joy. None of them had the 3" sanding wheel like in your picture, either. I can probably make do without the sanding wheel, but the gasket is a different story. Exactly what did you buy and where did you get it? I'm thinking online may be my only choice, but I don't even know what to look for. Is it some kind of automotive weather stripping?

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
OK just got back from the 100 mile round-trip to Lowe's with my vacuum hose, crevice tool, and screws/nuts. But I can't seem to find the material to make the blower gasket anywhere - went to Lowe's, Home Depot and True Value - no joy. None of them had the 3" sanding wheel like in your picture, either. I can probably make do without the sanding wheel, but the gasket is a different story. Exactly what did you buy and where did you get it? I'm thinking online may be my only choice, but I don't even know what to look for. Is it some kind of automotive weather stripping?

If your talking about the gasket that goes into the side of the bucket for the 2" Compression Fitting this is the exact one i bought and was recommended way back in the beginning of these posts when i made my crac-vac....
Hope this helps. 2 3/4" x 5/64" x 3" x 3 5/8" x 5/16" Rubber Grommet
Large Rubber Grommets

If your talking about the gasket for the lid i purchased a gray paint bucket lid in the paint accessories dept in home depot and took the gasket out of that for my vac lid.
Luv my crac vac and will never sell it

Last edited:

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks Joe - I have those. I'm talking about the one that goes between the blower intake and the top of the lid, like in these pictures:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Joe Z

Aug 18, 2012
New River AZ
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2,
Whites Goldmaster GMT,
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been quite a while back that i made it,but i think i ran a beat of silicone around it and let it set 24 hours before going further

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok you can get the rubber edge trim at McMasterCarr of which I mentioned this in post 159. Here is a link, McMasterCarr<<<< LINK

I would buy a few feet. When you make the seal cut the rubber so its about 1/2 short of the ends coming together on the blower. Doing so once glued together you will stretch the gasket onto the blower opening.

Sanding disc can be found here, Flap Wheel Sanding Disc<<<< LINK

Rubber Edge Trim.jpg

Last edited:

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Ok you can get the rubber edge trim at McMasterCarr of which I mentioned this in post 159.
Oops - I guess I missed that one! ???

Thanks again for your help! Especially the online links - shopping choices are rather limited around here.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Build.
The one question I have is, shouldn't there be some sort of paper filter over the finger guard. to prevent the fine gold from getting sucked in the fan and blown back out the other exhaust port of the blower?

OP
OP
AzViper

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good Build.
The one question I have is, shouldn't there be some sort of paper filter over the finger guard. to prevent the fine gold from getting sucked in the fan and blown back out the other exhaust port of the blower?

The problem with using any filters is the filter will clog very quickly. Also remember as the bucket fills the fine gold is covered. The only time I really see any dust coming from the blower end is when the bucket is full. Because this is a 6 gallon bucket the user can deposit about 4.5 gallons of fill before cleanout.

fatman45

Feb 23, 2015
Nevada Test Site
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Plus the 90° elbow on the inlet deflects the pay dirt downward, so there is very little chance of anything being sucked into the blower intake. One of the many design decisions that makes this unit superior to anything you can buy ready made.

Thurman

Aug 27, 2014
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xtera 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Viper,

Mighty good news that you may be able to get back into the VAC business. I didn't notice your comment until today, after re-reading your entire post about the build last night - for the third time. Your design, photo and writing skills are awesome!

It looks like Home Depot has about the best price ($200) for the Echo Model # PB-255LN
blower you recommend. I want to get a start on this project but would prefer to buy the parts from you - or the whole assembly (that way I could get the cool "Viper" graphics).

I would like to know what your schedule and prices are so I can make the best decision and get in motion. I can understand that you may want this to be a private conversation. I will pm you.

Thanks again for the great posts.

Cassews

Dec 29, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett/White
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks !! I may have to have DH build me one as I am the dry washer/dredge girl. So that maybe just what I need for the dry washer when I am using it .. THANK YOU !!!! You Rock !!!!

spillercanyon

Jan 4, 2012
California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried to order the 255 from Home Depot, they can't ship a 255 to Califor-suckia, this state is driving me crazy. Lots of gold but lots of hurdles to dig for it. Has anyone found a good alternative blower (or a way around the no shipping)?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions