Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am playing around with different display cases for items I have recently found. I used free pallet wood. piece of glass cut from Ace Hardware (50 cents) and some felt from hobby store (50 cents). I think i will attach the finds with a hot glue gun. Any thoughts? I used my table saw to make a grove for the glass. This project cost about a dollar.

PART_1458088837474_20160315_204000-2.jpg PART_1459205133819_20160328_184421.jpg PART_1459206251475_20160328_185514.jpg

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good job... I do this type of thing all the time. If you have the tools and a little experience / engineering skill you can mount about anything. I've used old wood pallets also and own a couple of planners. Just make sure all the nails / staples or fasteners are gone! If NOT then you just took out a lot of life out of a blade. Here's a couple posters, poker items and a couple Jack Daniels items my wife wanted mounted.

Attachments

• S6300525.JPG
    S6300525.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 61
  • S6300522.JPG
    S6300522.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 66
  • S6300472.JPG
    S6300472.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 75
  • S6301099.JPG
    S6301099.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 71

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Limitool, I spent 26 years doing woodworking as a hobby. As I learned working in a machine shop, I worked in thousandths of an inch (which is really stupid for woodworking). You do good work.

Another thing you can do to try and get some unique, good wood is if you happen to know anyone who sells, delivers, sets up or buys multi-ton presses, they are usually shipped using larger timbers of some tropical wood - often Philippine Mahogany (not a true mahogany).

Nice finish. I like the truck display!!

Another type of piece that works well with many finds is shadow boxes. There's TONS of YouTube videos showing how to build them. Some aren't very good or very thorough, so be sure to watch several and save the best ones to hard drive. (well, I have limited data - have to save anything I want to keep)

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I like your idea for the display. I've made several over the years for the grandkids arrow heads. The only thing I would change on your idea, is not to use glue. mainly because I change my mind a lot on how it should be displayed. I use foam rubber behind the matte, and then cover it with fabric. That's just my choice. You do excellent work, and thanks for showing us.

Bill

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice thing about hot melt is that it's not permanent - it peels off without much problem. On the other hand, there's always those pesky strings that reach across projects like part of a drunken spider's web. :laughing7:

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for everyones input. I am still in the playing phase on how to attach the items. I thought maybe colored thread that matches the pantina, hot glue, etc. I like the foam rubber idea. As far as the nails and staples, i make sure they are pulled out. I replace them with some of the nails cut short and replaced after the frame is together to give it a more rustic look. The worst that can happen is i have to pull it apart and start over and since it is only about a dollar, I am not to afraid. After I get my system down, I can move to more expensive woods. Thanks again!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hopefully you own an MD and use it before you run recycled wood through saws or a planner. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Long story short.... Moved my late father from MI. to TN. in 96'. He brought EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even his OLD dried pieces of lumber. One was a piece of walnut. This piece of walnut was one I remembered from when I was 8-10 yrs. old. I was 40 y/o then. Dad passed, and I inherited his earthly possessions including this piece of walnut. So I decide to make a chess board out of the walnut and a piece of maple. I never ran a magnet or MD over any of the wood. Sure enough..... I'm planing down the piece of walnut and when I pull it out after a couple of passes.... they is a half a rifled slug present in-bedded within the wood.

It "killed" the blades.... BUT THE CHESS BOARD CAME OUT GREAT.... later.... Brad.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your idea for the display. I've made several over the years for the grandkids arrow heads. The only thing I would change on your idea, is not to use glue. mainly because I change my mind a lot on how it should be displayed. I use foam rubber behind the matte, and then cover it with fabric. That's just my choice. You do excellent work, and thanks for showing us.

Bill

When I "mount" something within a display case or shadow box I take bread tie wires and burn the paper off. Then drill VERY small holes and use the very pliable wire to hold item in place. That's what I used to hold the trucks in place within the cases.

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I like that idea with the wire. i might have to spray paint the wire white so it blends into the white patina of the bullets and is less noticeable.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like that idea with the wire. i might have to spray paint the wire white so it blends into the white patina of the bullets and is less noticeable.

Maybe...? But, the wire is so thin it is barely noticeable.... MANY folks have asked me when viewed in person "How did you hold the trucks in place"...? And even when told they had to look very close to see. I think you'd be surprised how "invisible" this type wire would be if tried....? :dontknow: Even on arrowheads you have to look very close to see. It's very thin.... :thumbsup:

OP
OP
acm3

acm3

Jan 2, 2016
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I played around with it last night and you are right. it works really well and the wire fits in the ring of the bullet

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I played around with it last night and you are right. it works really well and the wire fits in the ring of the bullet

Good... Just drill two tiny (real tiny) holes and just twist the wires together. I like this idea because it's so easy to undo if needed or move. Hope it works across the board for ya! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread