cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these today with about 180 more all bullets and balls are the same size and only 1 button could anyone tell me the caliber,year,and how much these sort of bullets sell for.

And I just got done cleaning the button it says "WHITMAN, NEWYORK, and what looks like "LESHER" it is about the size of a us nickel if possible the year, and how much it is worth if anything, hell it maybe modern I know nothing about buttons, any help would be greatly app.

Thanks matt
HH

Attachments

• bullet1.jpg
    bullet1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 705
  • bullet 2.jpg
    bullet 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 715
  • bullet 3.jpg
    bullet 3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 720
  • bullet 4.jpg
    bullet 4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt,
You found all of that today? INCREDIBLE!!!
-MM-

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Lesher & Whitman NY... back mark from button proves CW era, I have no dates for you but found another reference.

And the bullets! OMG!!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Just a bit of follow-up on Jim's info...

Stephen R. Lesher & Nathaniel Whitman were New York City clothiers and importers from about 1855 until at least 1898. They did not actually make the buttons which bear their name; many of the Lesher & Whitman buttons were made by Scovill.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
Matt,
-MM-
Hell i figured why not take a pic of all of them,lol
same pic just diff light

Attachments

• bullets 13 001.JPG
    bullets 13 001.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 692
  • bullets 13 002.JPG
    bullets 13 002.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 686

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBK said:

Stephen R. Lesher & Nathaniel Whitman were New York City clothiers and importers from about 1855 until at least 1898. They did not actually make the buttons which bear their name; many of the Lesher & Whitman buttons were made by Scovill.

PBK,
I actually found that ID in my trusty button book. I was so proud of myself, but you beat me to the reply.
Man, you're FAST!!! ;D
-MM_

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Matt - I'm glad you showed them all... OMG!

That piece on the far right... rusted... it looks like a rifle butt plate to me...

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Montana Jim said:
Matt - I'm glad you showed them all... OMG!

That piece on the far right... rusted... it looks like a rifle butt plate to me...
I thought that it nay have been one of those things that they made shoes on but come to think of it not many folks had shoes back then

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
PBK said:

any idea on its value?

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
matthewh05 said:
ModernMiner said:
Matt,
-MM-
same pic just diff light

Unbelievable!!! That is the most bullets I've ever seen at once. I think you dwarfed my measly 20 by about a few hundred! ;D
Were you at a battle ground?
A BIG congrats to you Matt, on an fantastic hunt.
-MM-

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ModernMiner said:
matthewh05 said:
ModernMiner said:
Matt,
-MM-
same pic just diff light
Well me and adam had searched for this place for ever and could never find were the "skirmish" supposly took place then I asked someone today and they wouldnt tell me its exact location but gave me the general directions, so I went and I guess a fairly large "SKIRMISH" took place, since adam didnt get to go today, we are going back tuesday of next week in hopes of some coins or belt buckles or more buttons or whatever.

Unbelievable!!! That is the most bullets I've ever seen at once. I think you dwarfed my measly 20 by about a few hundred! ;D
Were you at a battle ground?
A BIG congrats to you Matt, on an fantastic hunt.
-MM-

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
plehbah said:
I am assuming you just stumbled upon this site. What is the story behind this? What would account for all of that overlooked stuff?
Myself and "trashedtiger" aka adam, got together and started looking for places to hunt CW items. I had always heard of a battle that was on a certain body of water here in pitt county when I was little but never to the time to look for it until I met adam, we had paddled this certain body of water both directions getting out of the boat and kayak swinging every bit of high ground we came across but never found anything but sqaure nails and odd pieces of iron and metal. He had bought a map of greenville from 1885 but it showed nothing, pitt county opis "satalite imagry" you cant find anything no one execpt a select few old men and women had heard about it from there parents but didnt know where it was. We have searched the web and the local libraries in greenville and washington, and still could not find exact coordinates until today. I met a gentleman that is probably in his mid 40's and he had said that he deer hunts all that land and had found what looked like a camp or complex consisting of sunken in area's old ballasts and other things,and asked his dad b4 he died and he said that is were this battle or skirmish took place. I asked him where it was and he said way behind his house, inbetween certain things and he said that if you didnt know what you were looking for you would miss it, but again wouldnt tell me an exact location. I knew the man that owns the land and he had granted us permission in the past so i asked again and of course he said yes. Well I went in and walked around for a while and found what i thought he was talking about and obv. so, b/c of so many people not knowing where it is or have ever heard of it execpt the older people and is only acessible by kayak or small boat i dont think people knew, most folks that did have passed away or are either to old to care. Thats the story.

I actually know of another site that has probably jsut as much on it if not more and has never been detected but only by the land owner, he denied permission to us and explained that is why, there is even a 120 foot ship or battle boat behind his house on chicod creek that east carolina university has found.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CarolinaDigs said:
Matthew really great digs :) Did you discover a battlefield site ?? I see there are some coins in the pile > what was the oldest of these ??
They were some pennies that we found on the creek bed walking in the woods probably from some fisherman or hunter oldest one being a 1953

CarolinaDigs

Silver Member
Apr 4, 2007
North Carolina
Matthew you're not going to tell anyone where you found these are you ?? ??? If you do the civil war dudes will be all over it > like white is on rice ;) LOL

possumheaded

Sep 25, 2006
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500 & Ace 250, White's DFX, Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man!!!!!!!!!Great Stuff!!!!Hope you find lots more.
HH
Ed

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
CarolinaDigs said:
Matthew you're not going to tell anyone where you found these are you ?? ??? If you do the civil war dudes will be all over it > like white is on rice ;) LOL
oh no but I am sure there are a few doing reasearch right now as we speak

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell you what. That HAD to be a virgin spot. I have hunted alot of places and even pulled 20 to 30 minies in a single day on a few occasions but this spot you found is almost unbelieveable. That is ALOT of lead. Good job! ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread