cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, Teknetics T2 Ltd, GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these today with about 180 more all bullets and balls are the same size and only 1 button could anyone tell me the caliber,year,and how much these sort of bullets sell for.

And I just got done cleaning the button it says "WHITMAN, NEWYORK, and what looks like "LESHER" it is about the size of a us nickel if possible the year, and how much it is worth if anything, hell it maybe modern I know nothing about buttons, any help would be greatly app.

Thanks matt
HH

Attachments

• bullet1.jpg
    bullet1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 705
  • bullet 2.jpg
    bullet 2.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 715
  • bullet 3.jpg
    bullet 3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 720
  • bullet 4.jpg
    bullet 4.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 714
Upvote 0

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a hellva day's diggin'! Did you find any Enfield bullets or are they all 3 ringers? If ya'll need any help, I'm 1 hour away!LOL!
Mike ;)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'd be hard pressed to dig 18 in a day now....Unbelievable day!!!!Thank's for the pic's and the story of this place.Hope you took break's to unload those guy's from time to time.Great Job..

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
brnn53 said:
Thats a hellva day's diggin'! Did you find any Enfield bullets or are they all 3 ringers? If ya'll need any help, I'm 1 hour away!LOL!
Mike ;)
honestly i dont know the difference could you send me a link to the diff varities there are lots in the bucket that are not the same

tsgman

Bronze Member
Sep 13, 2005
Springfield, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Fisher Gold Bug, MXT, Etrac, CTX 3030, GPX 5000, Troy Shadow, CZ20, Excal II, Tesoro Stingray, AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going on the finds and the persistence you had to not give up. My hunting buddy and I were searching for a camp and when we finally found it I dug a US plate and over 100 bullets the first day. Looks like your bullets are 54 cal. 57 and maybe a few 69's. it's hard to tell for sure in your pics.
Most of the dropped {unfired bullets}will range from 3 to 5 bucks if no digger damage on them. Don't forget to look for picket area's. A good place to check are area's near your site where you cannot see well, as in a hill above the site or a blind spot from the main site.
To me it appears you found a camp and not a battle site. If it were the actual site of the battle you would have fired rounds and probably not the quantity of drops that you have. The soldiers liked to use the powder from the cartridges to start the camp fires and they would just toss the bullet away, or sometimes into the fire. Another sign of a actual campsite is melted lead everywhere.
I always draw out a grid and keep track of what I found and where on the site. After several trips it will give you a better understanding of what happend there. Another great tool for this is a GPS unit . Keeping track of the finds and the gps position and then downloading on your computer will help. Good luck. Tim

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tsgman said:
Nice going on the finds and the persistence you had to not give up. My hunting buddy and I were searching for a camp and when we finally found it I dug a US plate and over 100 bullets the first day. Looks like your bullets are 54 cal. 57 and maybe a few 69's. it's hard to tell for sure in your pics.
Most of the dropped {unfired bullets}will range from 3 to 5 bucks if no digger damage on them. Don't forget to look for picket area's. A good place to check are area's near your site where you cannot see well, as in a hill above the site or a blind spot from the main site.
To me it appears you found a camp and not a battle site. If it were the actual site of the battle you would have fired rounds and probably not the quantity of drops that you have. The soldiers liked to use the powder from the cartridges to start the camp fires and they would just toss the bullet away, or sometimes into the fire. Another sign of a actual campsite is melted lead everywhere.
I always draw out a grid and keep track of what I found and where on the site. After several trips it will give you a better understanding of what happend there. Another great tool for this is a GPS unit . Keeping track of the finds and the gps position and then downloading on your computer will help. Good luck. Tim
Yea we have dug a S**T load of weird iron and other metal pieces all diff sizes and weights maybe your right it was a camp not a battle ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now THAT's a LOT of LEAD!! Looks like ya beat my record for number of bullets in a single day--mine was around 100--but a buddy and I did get over 30 in an hour here recently.

Great work!

I would imagine there will be some old coins there if it is a campsite--dig carefully, and good luck!

-Buckleboy

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AeroMike

Apr 5, 2007
SE Area of Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites MXT, Tesoro Tejon
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

WOW! I would love to find just a 1/4 of those bullets. I have only found about 4 so far but hey, I just started really this year.

Great job and thanks for sharing!

BureFreak

Mar 26, 2007
Lake Mary, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
You are going to have to tell how long it took to find all of those at once? That many Civil War bullets at one time is a one in a million chance! The biggest congrats to you! That is unbelievable!!!

I'm feeling nothing but envy right now...

Nathan

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee
Looks like you have found a Likely Union camp to many dropped bullets to be your skirmish sight. I do a lot of relic hunting. Looks to be a virgin camp. You have found something very special and should be very quite about the location unless of course you want to invite me down to hunt I am just across the line here in TN. Good luck and hope you finds are great.

OP
OP
cwdigger

cwdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2007
Greenville,NC
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BureFreak said:
You are going to have to tell how long it took to find all of those at once? That many Civil War bullets at one time is a one in a million chance! The biggest congrats to you! That is unbelievable!!!

I'm feeling nothing but envy right now...

Nathan
all day from 8 till faint

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that is a MESS of bullets!!!

I know very little about them, but it looks like a Spencer case near the top of the f2nd of the 2 pics taken of them on the USPS box.

OUTSTANDING!!!!

HH,
SgtSki

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you will clean (with water and a soft toothbrush) the unusual ones that aren't the regular .58 cal. minieball (three ringer), and post them in the what is it thread, someone will help you ID them. Looks like some .44 cal pistol ammo in there too...

-Buckleboy

carolinachief

Oct 31, 2006
Eastern North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt,

Great digs!! If you need another hunting partner to help you with that site I am in Vanceboro and would love to hunt a site like that. Good luck on future digs.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be more than willing to help you ID your lead ;) Shoot me a PM after cleaning them with soap and water as BuckleBoy suggested.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
sweet googly moogly -- what a mess o lead --- a nice camp site you found

yoyo

Tenderfoot
Oct 23, 2007
mathew05 did you get the email and pm I sent you? I have lots of info on that site.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
{Sentinel} said:
I would be more than willing to help you ID your lead ;) Shoot me a PM after cleaning them with soap and water as BuckleBoy suggested.

Sentinal,
Your in box is full. I can't PM you.
-MM-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread