Bullets and a tree branch.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a signal inside of a tree branch that was on the ground so I cut it open and found a bullet inside which I thought was purty cool. Not sure of the caliber, .380 maybe. I also found the biggest bullet that I have ever found...anyone know what caliber it is? I also found what looks to be an old pistol casing..never saw one that was rimfire before.

Attachments

• bullet 010.JPG
    bullet 010.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 930
  • bullet 012.JPG
    bullet 012.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 928
  • bullet 013.JPG
    bullet 013.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 924
Upvote 0

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
without digging out my book, If I remember correctly, "U" is Remington. There were bunches of rim fire cartridges. Of course .22 the most popular. .41was the Remington derringer and .44 Henry flat fit the tubular magazine on the Henry. Mike the case. .41 short is .913 long and a .41 long is .985. Both use a .405 bullet
.17 Mach 2 to .58 Miller

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It kept nagging at me, so I dug out CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD 12th edition by Barns.
Union Metalic Cartridge Co Headstamps were: U,UMC, RB
Remington: U,UMC,REM,REM*,R-P,RAH
Remington bought Union Metalic in 1911. It looks like they used Union Metalic's headstamp dies until they wore out.
The book list 58, count em, 58 current and obsolite rimfire rounds. Wouldn't it be neat to have a sample of each?
Hopes this helps. Kenley

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found a musket ball in an old oak tree. was about 5" in. When I bought my first metal detector.

(was just outside of atlanta)

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info guys. I use to get disgusted digging bullets, brass, and shotgun shells, now I am really starting to enjoy finding them. I've been saving the old shotgun shells and one day I'll try to find the date they were used. In the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, we don't really have colonial cellar holes, civil war sites, or gold, so we have to make due with other kinds of finds.

Oldy

Oct 13, 2008
I had a friend in Ca. that worked in a Moulding co. Where they milled base moulding, crown moulding etc. He had a collection of short pieces of various mouldings that the cutters had hit bullets in the lumber they used. He had quite a few of them. You could tell it ruined the cutter when it hit the bullets.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds, I find a lot of bullets too. I live in southern MI. I wish Michigan was as history rich as the east coast, but there's still some cool stuff to find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread