AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom on all this about asking for permission. The first thought that comes to their mind is, "No."

You never detect a school when there are classes going on and try not to bring attention to yourself. I've hunted many parks that were supposed to be closed to detecting and if I was approached I say I didn't know about it and ask if it is ok to finish out the day. Many times I was told to go ahead. The times I was told it was the LAW, I left quietly as the person was on a power trip. It is important to research the area you want to hunt yourself without bring it to anyone's attention.

It is a NO-NO to walk around the park with a knife out for a probe too.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a park caretaker explain to me one time, about what the city authorities don't want. Once a person M'detecting left the park looking like the gophers made a bunch of holes.

Because of this, I find pinpointing more important and starting small...maybe just a slot and pulling it aprt wider some. Anyway, leaving gopher-like holes is not acceptable to authorities.

I bought from Kellyco recently a heavy duty digging trowel, 2" wide to enable me to dig smaller and deeper in parks now. The screw driver with a teaspoon just wasn't getting down deep enough for some good targets. I think the teaspoon might still be a good idea for getting dirt up, if the spoon is bent some so the dirt doesn't drop back into the hole. Maybe add or attach something to it, for a long handle.

bula

Mar 13, 2008
southern utah
Detector(s) used
White MXT
Show me a archaeologist or a park ranger that says he does not have a arrow head collection & I'll show you a lire. They don't want us hunting but they are the first ones to pick up an artifact & take it home with them. By law the toy I buried when I was 5 is now a artifact & I can't dig it up, is that not a joke. Or how about that paps beer can that was thrown away 50 years ago.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about those old style of aluminum pull tabs, so common in parks. I'm not sure about the date they started...probably on the first aluminum can. Now, fifty year old pull tabs? You could say even a pull tab has some value...aluminum can be recycled. In a sense you might be able to call it "historical relic" because they don't make them now. Modern ones are attached to the can...people break them off anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread