Bullseye pinpointer vs. Sunray S-1 probe

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a Minelab Sovereign GT and have been using a White's Bullseye pinpointer for the last 4 years with no problems (Knock on Wood). I am interested in picking up a Sunray S-1 probe for my unit but not sure how much of an improvement it would be. Just looking for some opinions. Also would I need the extra cable length that is sold seperately if I got the
S-1 probe?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
In my experience the only place I find the Bullseye II helps me where the Sunray doesn't is really small targets.

Other than that, the Sunray is attached to your machine so one less thing to carry around and loose. It runs off your machine's batteries. It is deep and it uses the machines hardware.

I really like my Sunray.

Don't know if that helps any.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the DetectorPro Uniprobe. :thumbsup:

I easily get 4-6 inches on it and it can be used with different detectectors where the Sunray is unit specified to each unit.

The uniprobe comes with the headset, you plug your Sov into it and has a switch to choose between the probe or detector just like the Sunray. It is also a true PI.........

http://www.detectorpro.com/uniprobes.htm

Good luck....

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the S-1 Sunray probe on my Sov GT, but if you mount the controls on the shaft you are going to need the optional 12" cable to reach the controls. I hipmout my controls and have the probe box mounted in the second pocket of the neck mount pouch where I used to carry the meter. I've since retired the meter as it lied to me to often and I liked the supense of what was really down there. I get about 3 to 4 inches on the Sunray probe unlike the others I've tried. BTW, the probe fits in my hip pouch and doesn't need to be slipped on an off the clip on the shaft everytime.

I tried the meter next to the controls on my neck and the 50 inch cable running to the probe's box on the shaft and still didn't like that setup, but it might just be me.

OP
OP
pjroo33

pjroo33

Oct 28, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I have the meter, do I still need to get the optional 12" cable extension?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you just use the meter you won't need the 12 in. cable unless you use the S-1 probe on the shaft.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a GT and the S-1. I have been tickled pink with it, very happy. Works great like Sandman said.

mnlineman

Jan 1, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
T2 Ltd Sovereign GT Tigershark
Just ordered one last week, they are hard wiring the 13" cable now instead of an extension, 185 bucks.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
having used the 2 of these PP go with the S1.......

You wont be dissapointed.Heres a trick that I leanred.When you scan the ground with the S1 in dism mode and the target is shallow its great but what if its deeper in the ground than the capability of the probe?Simply go to all metal and scan the target area,carefully listen to the threshold sound in your headphones.As you go over the target you will hear a small spike in the threshold.I swear that I was able to PP in this manner up to 6 inchs deep on coins.Now keep in mind that the halo effect around the target will at times throw off an accurate PP but you will find that target!Give it a try.Now Ive been reading some on the DetectorPro Uniprobe which sounds good also,but the drawback is that I dont think you can use it on dism.,on your GT,so you will be digging junk as where the S1 will dism once your close enough to hit the target.Hope this helps.HH ;D

John Deere Digger

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2007
So Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX, Prism5, Minelab SE
The sunray has alot more depth then the bullseye. The bullseye almost has to touch the target where the sunray will give you at least 2-3 inches. The bullseye is better on the tiny stuff. Good Idea about switching to all metal on probing, I will have to try that, has to give you more depth.
JDD

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: having used the 2 of these PP go with the S1.......

Marc(NB) said:
Now Ive been reading some on the DetectorPro Uniprobe which sounds good also,but the drawback is that I don't think you can use it on dism.,on your GT,so you will be digging junk as where the S1 will dism once your close enough to hit the target.Hope this helps.HH ;D

I had the pocket uniprobe, and just sold it and picked up the uniprobe with headset. I never had a problem with being sidetracked with junk when probing with the pocket uniprobe. It was dead on accurate and 4-6 inches deep on targets was common.

I have read nothing but good reviews on the sunray from owners, the only drawback being they are detector specific where the uniprobe can be used on multiple detectors when you own more then one, and they do go deeper.

Good luck and good hunting...........

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
probe depth

4-6 inch depth is awesome!Yep the sunray has that drawback as you mentioned.Ive asked some input on another forum on this site but didn't get any response.Here is a copy n paste.

Ive been reading on this PP,on their wed site, they claim "Probe Depth: Up to 5-6" deep on coins in the hole".Now does this mean 5-6 inchs from the surface?Its that "in the hole" I just dont catch.I have a sunray probe on my sov and I use the vibraprobe with my Ace 250,thinking of upgrading PP with the 250.Thanks for your input.HH :icon_pirat:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what you mean. I get 4-6 inches from surface or from in the hole. If target is 8 inches deep I get nothing on uniprobe till I have dug hole deep enough for probe to start detecting it.

What is really good with uniprobe is when the target is less then 6 inches deep, I can "X" the target with the uniprobe, probe down in center of "X" with my probe rod, touch the target directly below and work it out of the hole with very little surface damage using th ez-dig-r....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread