Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
What's the story behind Oley cannon

Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

Reading Eagle - Google News Archive Search

Most interesting is that one of these cannon made it to nearby Knauertown, where it may still be in the neighborhood...

"...Warwick Furnaces, manufacturing cannon and similar supplies for the Continental
army. John Knauer (son of Christopher) owned and operated ironworks at Knauertown and manufactured the first round iron in the United States. The British, learning of these furnaces, determined to destroy them, but the troops sent out on that mission were repulsed after proceeding as far as Fountain Inn, now a part of Phoenixville, near Valley Forge. Many of the supplies at the furnaces were hurriedly buried in plowed fields, and lost for the time being, and some of the old cannon and ordinances of war have been found within the last generation.

One of the plowed-up cannon, which had been spiked and had to he set off with a fuse, was used to celebrate the Fourth of July and battalion days. At one of the battalion day meets at Knauertown the muzzle burst off and a fatal accident was barely escaped, one of the pieces coming down through the roof of a porch that was crowded with people. This old Continental cannon was later stolen, first from the Republicans and then from the Democrats, to "shoot out" of the country any Republican or Democrat moving out. As there were no wheels under it Mr. Knauer's teams and log wagon were used to haul it from place to place. Eventually, to avoid strife and conflict between the two parties, it was taken and sunk in Mr. Knauer's upper mill dam, in eighteen feet of water. But someone "squealed," and again the opposite party obtained Mr. Knauer's log chains and hoists from his mill, and with boats and a raft to complete the equipment raised it one night and laid it away along the race bank in the woods until it was again used to "bang" another party out of the country. It was once more captured by the other party one night and taken up on the hill near the falls of French creek, where it was dropped, muzzle down, into an old abandoned well, which was filled up with rock and stone. There it still remains, but there are few living today that know of its existence."
RootsWeb: PA-OLD-CHESTER-L Re: Re: [PaOldC] Knauer - Part 2 of 3 Parts. If not interested, don't read 2&3

Last edited:
OP
OP
Todd from PA

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
how awesome would it be ta find a cannon........cool story

Yeah man. I'd love to prop that thing out in my front yard like the one in Oley.

I know exactly where Knauers upper mill dam is/was and I've been up there poking around quite a few times. No map that I could find shows any wells and that area (west side of the creek) was thoroughly quarried from the late 1800's (about the time this cannon was dropped in said well) into the early 1900's. I did find a small, square-ish stone "structure" about 3' x 3' approx. 200 yards up from the mill dam near the falls, but I couldn't make out what it was or had been.

That area is extremely rocky and I doubt that they could have hauled it very far from the mill dam, although at the time the "road" (path) from Rt. 23 to St. Pete's was on the west side of the creek, not the north side as it is now. My guess is that the well may have been covered over with discarded quarried stone. The west side of the creek/falls is scattered with massive piles of it, but who knows?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Todd from PA

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is that there was a path along the millrace for access to the mill dam which would make it easy to haul the cannon on said log wagon and dump it in the water. I was wrong previously when I stated that there was no road on the east side of the creek, so instead of just dumping it near the mill dam on the rocky west side they could have loaded it on the wagon, gone back down the millrace, looped around and headed up to the falls on the east side....

"The Falls was an area known to men of the woods, to picnickers, and those interested in scenic beauty, but it was difficult to get into through briars and boulders. Between 1868 and 1870, Knauer and Jonathan Keirn built a road high along the eastern side of the ravine from Knauertown to the top of The Falls. It was quite a feat to do by horse, mule, drag, axe & saw, pick & shovel, and dynamite." Saint Peters Village, Warwick Township, Chester County, Saint Peters PA 19470

I have read of a well dug for the hotel when it was built, but my guess is that it was still in use when all this was going on, not abandoned. I have several books on the area that I need to review.

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang that's about ten min. from me. Who want's go :)

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
PA State Game commision took ownership of the St. Peters property so no detecting allowed. Hopewell is a National Historic site and Warwick State Park does not allow detecting.

OP
OP
Todd from PA

Todd from PA

Dec 6, 2011
Southeast Pa
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread