All Treasure Hunting

ds6191

Dec 29, 2007
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After you find your first jewelery and give it to your wife she won't be so mad. Now find those goodies. Dan

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe someone already found the jars, took what was inside then reburried them as a way to let others know the treasure's been found. Heard that's what oldtimey th'ers did.

Nice coin finds.

Al

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Only found a few hundred or so mason jar remains with lids on them, a couple dozen intact. They are everywhere and in every condition. Liquids, solids, muck. I hate the sound of a mason jar lid in my headphones!

I dug a foot deep last spring to unearth a half dozen lids stacked atop each other in a city park. Okay, someone was canning there once. Well leave me some preserves, I'm getting hungry! But hey, I hope you find that one with the goodies in it, keep at it.

And GREAT job on that half! If I thought it was a sweet find like that. I'd have crawled your butt under that porch too!

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's V3I, Garrett's AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright gang, I'm off to the farm!

Finally got a little time off work today, so I'm hittin the spot with my new detector. I'll grab a few videos if I find anything!!! see ya in a bit!

IrishRooney13

Nov 25, 2011
New Paltz, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE!! Howd it go?? This thread has my curiosity peaked. I have a strong feeling theres gonna be a jar filled somwhere on that property... Cant wait for some updates.

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went out, but didnt find anything amazing due to it being so trashy. I got an amazing target under an old tree, but my crappy shovel (coleman folding) bent before I could get down to it. Im a foot down and still can't pick it up on my pinpointer, but the detector says 4 inches. So its a big target. Im going back tomorrow with a real shovel, so I'll post when I get home. I turn 30 tomorrow, so maybe this will be a BIG bunch of silver or gold for my B-day... That would be a day to remember!

James

IrishRooney13

Nov 25, 2011
New Paltz, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.dean said:
I went out, but didnt find anything amazing due to it being so trashy. I got an amazing target under an old tree, but my crappy shovel (coleman folding) bent before I could get down to it. Im a foot down and still can't pick it up on my pinpointer, but the detector says 4 inches. So its a big target. Im going back tomorrow with a real shovel, so I'll post when I get home. I turn 30 tomorrow, so maybe this will be a BIG bunch of silver or gold for my B-day... That would be a day to remember!

James

Oh my.. Why must you tease me so :laughing7: :laughing7: Cant wait for tomorrow..Which of your detectors were you using?

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have the AT PRO right now. I sold off my whites. It's doing great but the ground is very VERY trashy, so I think im gonna have to grid the place off and dig dig dig... But not until I dig that target under that dang tree.

IrishRooney13

Nov 25, 2011
New Paltz, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.dean said:
I only have the AT PRO right now. I sold off my whites. It's doing great but the ground is very VERY trashy, so I think im gonna have to grid the place off and dig dig dig... But not until I dig that target under that dang tree.

I'm really glad to hear the AT Pro is doing great. I'm getting my first MD for xmas (three days woohoo!!) and it happens to be an AT Pro..that's why I asked.. Good luck tomorrow I hope you find something awesome and I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UGGGGGGGGHHHHH. Ok guys, the detector God is playing with me! I went to the farm today and found 5 more mason jars. All were busted, but lids were there with the remains of the jars...ALL EMPTY!!!!!! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

Here are the pics of the first one.

Attachments

• dec23rdcharles 001.JPG
    dec23rdcharles 001.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 784
  • dec23rdcharles 002.JPG
    dec23rdcharles 002.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 837
  • dec23rdcharles 005.JPG
    dec23rdcharles 005.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 829
  • dec23rdcharles 007.JPG
    dec23rdcharles 007.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 894
  • dec23rdcharles 008.JPG
    dec23rdcharles 008.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 913
OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all were around a foot down....and not a single coin in sight!!!! this is so discouraging! :dontknow:

IrishRooney13

Nov 25, 2011
New Paltz, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.dean said:
all were around a foot down....and not a single coin in sight!!!! this is so discouraging! :dontknow:

I feel for you, that must be really frustrating. Was what you thought to be a large target one of these empty mason jars? Or have you not gotten around to diggin that one yet?

OP
OP
j.dean

j.dean

Dec 6, 2006
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was an old iron plowblade., however, My uncle showed me where an old OLD barn stood right before I had to leave to go celebrate my Bday with the fam. He also showed me that the old house has A DIRT CELLAR that you can only access from the inside of the house. So I hope to get back out there Christmas day, and see if I can hit the old barnsite and that cellar. I now know that the house was built in the 1880's and the barn was already there, as it belonged to another peice of property (that I'm hoping to hunt, if my uncle can get me permission). I'm hoping that the cellar will at least have some 1930's stuff in it.

Wish me luck.... I ain't stopping until no targets are left... this spot will be my primary spot this year, unless the civil war site I THINK I have found turns out to be real. Gonna check it on Monday just to see. My cousin told me she has a wall on her property, and she lives right in the middle of where the Battle of Blue Springs was supposed to have occured, so I'm hoping this turns out to be a good site. 30 acre field with a long stone wall at one end....could be nice. we will see.

Ok...enough rambling...Later

James

IrishRooney13

Nov 25, 2011
New Paltz, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
j.dean said:
it was an old iron plowblade., however, My uncle showed me where an old OLD barn stood right before I had to leave to go celebrate my Bday with the fam. He also showed me that the old house has A DIRT CELLAR that you can only access from the inside of the house. So I hope to get back out there Christmas day, and see if I can hit the old barnsite and that cellar. I now know that the house was built in the 1880's and the barn was already there, as it belonged to another peice of property (that I'm hoping to hunt, if my uncle can get me permission). I'm hoping that the cellar will at least have some 1930's stuff in it.

Wish me luck.... I ain't stopping until no targets are left... this spot will be my primary spot this year, unless the civil war site I THINK I have found turns out to be real. Gonna check it on Monday just to see. My cousin told me she has a wall on her property, and she lives right in the middle of where the Battle of Blue Springs was supposed to have occured, so I'm hoping this turns out to be a good site. 30 acre field with a long stone wall at one end....could be nice. we will see.

Ok...enough rambling...Later

James

Awesome! Those all sound like some very promising leads. Good luck with those spots, hope you find something good. Keep me updated as I now feel personally invested with this story haha. Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Kansas

Jun 6, 2005
N.E. Kansas
j.dean said:

You are on a old jar farm.

I dont know how it is in Tennessee, but what I know from here in Kansas, it looks to me that they either planted them to deep or didn't water them enough.

We did Milk of Magnesia bottles last growing season and had success planting at 3" and watering lightly once a week.

Attachments

• milk of magnesia tree.jpg
    milk of magnesia tree.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 825

TheGeorgiaCanuck

Oct 20, 2011
Surrey, BC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find out where the old clothesline was, make sure to scan it good. People lost coins out of the pants hung on the clotheslines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread