Buried Outlaw Loot in ILLINOIS (Birch gang)

K

Kentucky Kache

Central Illinois today is an agricultural area, sprinkled here and there with small peaceful towns. Very few of its citizens know that these same communities were once terrorized by a vicious outlaw gang. Even fewer are aware that the desperados cached substantial amounts of their loot in glass bottles sealed with beeswax.

In 1832, John Birch migrated to central Illinois from North Carolina and settled on forty acres in Clark County. With him came his two sons, Robert and Timothy. Robert Birch was just twelve years old at that time, but before the next decade had passed, he became the undisputed leader of one of the most notorious gangs in outlaw history.

It is likely that John Birch (known by the nickname "Old Coon") encouraged his sons to enter a life of crime. It is a known fact that he kept a rendezvous-hide-out at the Birch family cabin nine miles southwest of the county seat of Marshall.

This cabin was in a small clearing surrounded by virgin forest. Due to the Birch's reputation and the formidable countryside, it is small wonder that few dared venture there without invitation.

By the early 1840's, the activities of the Birch gang had spread over most of Illinois as well as parts of Iowa, Missouri and Indiana, and included the dubious arts of horse stealing, counterfeiting, robbery and murder. The scope of the gang's operation, and the large numbers within its ranks, made it nearly impossible for local law officers to combat the outlaws. However, in 1845, a crime was committed by the gang that aroused the wrath of the public to a point where it was decided to bring in outside help to destroy the Birch gang.

In the northern Illinois community of Rock Island lived an elderly gentleman named Col. Davenport. The Colonel owned a beautiful home overlooking the Mississippi River, and was locally popular and well respected. On July 4th of that year, he was attacked in his home by three men and tortured in a vain attempt to force him to reveal where his money was hidden. Leaving the old man dying of numerous wounds, the three desperados fled, taking the colonel's pocket watch, firearms, and a small amount of cash.

Col. Davenport was able to crawl to a window which faced on the river, and his cries for help soon summoned aid from a boat that was passing below. He lived just long enough to give descriptions of Robert Birch and two other gang members.

Rock Island law officers subsequently engaged the services of Edward Bonney, already famous for his detective work, and set him on the trail of the outlaws. Bonney traveled to Marshall, where he persuaded the sheriff to show him the trail to the Birch homestead. Within a mile or so of the Old Coon's cabin, the sheriff pointed the direction for Bonney to take and prudently set off in the opposite one.

Detective Bonney approached the shackled dwelling alone and was met by the Old Coon and his son, Tim. By carefully dropping a few names and known facts, Bonney was able to convince the two bandits that he was himself an outlaw, and a friend of Robert Birch. Thereafter, he was invited to spend the night. And during the evening's conversation, Old Coon revealed to Bonney that the clerk of the court in Marshall was a friend of the gang and always warned them in advance of approaching trouble.

Years later, when Bonney recounted his adventures in his book "Banditti of the Prairies", the enraged citizens of Marshall assumed the unnamed clerk to have been one Davis Phillips. He and his son, Tom, were seized, roped to trees, and publicly whipped. As a result the Phillips family left Clark County and moved west.

The next day Old Coon sent Bonney to join another gang member who lived a few miles away. "Old Grant" Redden kept a tumbledown hideout for gang members at his farm on Devil's Creek near Montrose, Illinois. Based on Old Coon's recommendation and Bonney's story, he quickly accepted the detective as a member of the gang.

From this point on, Bonney pretended to join with the outlaws in their deviltries, all the while learning more and more about the band and its members. This information eventually helped him break up the Birch Gang, causing some of them to be hanged and sending many of the others to prison. Robert Birch, when finally arrested by Detective Bonney, still had Col. Davenport's watch in his possession.

In 1852, an angry posse of Clark County citizens attacked the Birch family cabin and captured Timothy Birch. The few remaining gang members fled to Missouri and were never seen in Illinois again.

The extent of the Birch's operations would; of course, indicate that they were able to accumulate a hoard of stolen valuables. Old Grant Redden confided to Detective Bonney that large amounts of money had been sealed in glass bottles with beeswax and buried in a wheat field near the Devil's Creek hideout. In his memoirs, Bonney indicates that this method was a common practice among gang members who desired, for one reason or another, to cache their ill-gotten wealth.

There is no record of any of this loot being recovered. Careful research of newspaper files in areas where the gang operated could provide valuable clues to potential treasure sites. Robert Birch himself spent a lot of time in the Rock Island area, where he eventually committed the crime that brought about his downfall. An additional clue is that he often used aliases. Blecher and Harris were two--Joseph I. McCAIN

serpent

Feb 16, 2004
Hello. I did a little research on this one, its probably true, very tempting to get gold coins from the 1840's, worth a fortune no doubt. But the "Old Coon's" hideout was within distance for me to try it in a day if I knew exactly where I was going. But it didnt turn out that way. Upon further reading it seems that the Birch gang and other outlaws in general hid out and infested the area around the Mormon boom town of Nauvoo, Illinois. On the banks of the Mississippi and a large influx of citizens it was very large for its day. The locals feared the Mormons would take over Illinois state politics ( they were already localy self governed) because of the voter base they had. this is the town where Mormon founder Joseph Smith was shot and killed while in police custody. At any rate I believe that this Grant Redden was a gang operative around the Nauvoo area, and that the Devils creek hideout that is refered to in the treasure account is in fact across the Mississippi river just northwest of Nauvoo in Iowa. If anyone lives in that area, Devils creek is plain to see on the map, if this Grant Redden owned land there should be some record of it, go to the library and veiw platt books and other records in your local history room, If you find Grant Redden and his property in there.... now your cooking. An interesting side note is that I read an article on Joseph Smith, the Mormon leader, and his job prior to writing the book of Mormon was as a "seer", according to history he worked for a company that located buried treasure for private clientel, he used some sort of occult ritual to protract results, what those were is not known at least I dont believe, but it was in this capacity that he supposedly discovered the ancient tablets that would later lead to the writing of the book.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cache Crazy said:
Central Illinois today is an agricultural area, sprinkled here and there with small peaceful towns. Very few of its citizens know that these same communities were once terrorized by a vicious outlaw gang. Even fewer are aware that the desperados cached substantial amounts of their loot in glass bottles sealed with beeswax.

In 1832, John Birch migrated to central Illinois from North Carolina and settled on forty acres in Clark County. With him came his two sons, Robert and Timothy. Robert Birch was just twelve years old at that time, but before the next decade had passed, he became the undisputed leader of one of the most notorious gangs in outlaw history.

It is likely that John Birch (known by the nickname "Old Coon") encouraged his sons to enter a life of crime. It is a known fact that he kept a rendezvous-hide-out at the Birch family cabin nine miles southwest of the county seat of Marshall.

This cabin was in a small clearing surrounded by virgin forest. Due to the Birch's reputation and the formidable countryside, it is small wonder that few dared venture there without invitation.

By the early 1840's, the activities of the Birch gang had spread over most of Illinois as well as parts of Iowa, Missouri and Indiana, and included the dubious arts of horse stealing, counterfeiting, robbery and murder. The scope of the gang's operation, and the large numbers within its ranks, made it nearly impossible for local law officers to combat the outlaws. However, in 1845, a crime was committed by the gang that aroused the wrath of the public to a point where it was decided to bring in outside help to destroy the Birch gang.

In the northern Illinois community of Rock Island lived an elderly gentleman named Col. Davenport. The Colonel owned a beautiful home overlooking the Mississippi River, and was locally popular and well respected. On July 4th of that year, he was attacked in his home by three men and tortured in a vain attempt to force him to reveal where his money was hidden. Leaving the old man dying of numerous wounds, the three desperados fled, taking the colonel's pocket watch, firearms, and a small amount of cash.

Col. Davenport was able to crawl to a window which faced on the river, and his cries for help soon summoned aid from a boat that was passing below. He lived just long enough to give descriptions of Robert Birch and two other gang members.

Rock Island law officers subsequently engaged the services of Edward Bonney, already famous for his detective work, and set him on the trail of the outlaws. Bonney traveled to Marshall, where he persuaded the sheriff to show him the trail to the Birch homestead. Within a mile or so of the Old Coon's cabin, the sheriff pointed the direction for Bonney to take and prudently set off in the opposite one.

Detective Bonney approached the shackled dwelling alone and was met by the Old Coon and his son, Tim. By carefully dropping a few names and known facts, Bonney was able to convince the two bandits that he was himself an outlaw, and a friend of Robert Birch. Thereafter, he was invited to spend the night. And during the evening's conversation, Old Coon revealed to Bonney that the clerk of the court in Marshall was a friend of the gang and always warned them in advance of approaching trouble.

Years later, when Bonney recounted his adventures in his book "Banditti of the Prairies", the enraged citizens of Marshall assumed the unnamed clerk to have been one Davis Phillips. He and his son, Tom, were seized, roped to trees, and publicly whipped. As a result the Phillips family left Clark County and moved west.

The next day Old Coon sent Bonney to join another gang member who lived a few miles away. "Old Grant" Redden kept a tumbledown hideout for gang members at his farm on Devil's Creek near Montrose, Illinois. Based on Old Coon's recommendation and Bonney's story, he quickly accepted the detective as a member of the gang.

From this point on, Bonney pretended to join with the outlaws in their deviltries, all the while learning more and more about the band and its members. This information eventually helped him break up the Birch Gang, causing some of them to be hanged and sending many of the others to prison. Robert Birch, when finally arrested by Detective Bonney, still had Col. Davenport's watch in his possession.

In 1852, an angry posse of Clark County citizens attacked the Birch family cabin and captured Timothy Birch. The few remaining gang members fled to Missouri and were never seen in Illinois again.

The extent of the Birch's operations would; of course, indicate that they were able to accumulate a hoard of stolen valuables. Old Grant Redden confided to Detective Bonney that large amounts of money had been sealed in glass bottles with beeswax and buried in a wheat field near the Devil's Creek hideout. In his memoirs, Bonney indicates that this method was a common practice among gang members who desired, for one reason or another, to cache their ill-gotten wealth.

There is no record of any of this loot being recovered. Careful research of newspaper files in areas where the gang operated could provide valuable clues to potential treasure sites. Robert Birch himself spent a lot of time in the Rock Island area, where he eventually committed the crime that brought about his downfall. An additional clue is that he often used aliases. Blecher and Harris were two--Joseph I. McCAIN
Buried Outlaw Loot in ILLINOIS
Old Grant Redden confided to Detective Bonney that large amounts of money had been sealed in glass bottles with beeswax, and buried.
By JOSEPH I. McCAIN

From page 37 of the July 1977 issue of Lost Treasure magazine.
Copyright ©1977, 1997 Lost Treasure, Inc. :thumbsup:
side note banditti of the prarie is a HELL of a read and the story of the chase and apprehension of the birch's
lots of interesting bits even a few leed's or 2

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
from Rayc50: I have a book entitled " The History of Clark County" which was published in 1883. It gives a 4 page editorial on 'Old Coon" Birch and his notorious sons, especially John Birch. It appears that if any 'loot' is buried, it wouldn't be in the location of Clark County, according to this history. I'm still researching, but it appears that Robert hadn't returned to this area for quite a few years and eventually 'Old Coon', his wife and a young girl living with them eventually moved to Missouri. John Birch was the second 'entry of land' in Anderson Township, located southwest of Marshall, Illinois. It is also stated that Robert used the alias of Robert Brown in the Rock Island area. He also appeared in different areas of the country using Birch and Harris. In 1845, 'Old Coon' told Edward Bonney that Robert hadn't been home in 8 years, has heaps of money and never gets caught. It also appears that 'Old Coon' was in cahoots with the Clark County Court Clerk, Arbuckle, and was always a step ahead of any unwanted searches of his homestead. John Birch, brother of Robert Birch was hunt in Texas without trial (lynched?). Robert Birch was arrested and while awaiting trial in the Knoxville, Illinois, jail escaped on March 22, 1847. Circa 1852, Robert Birch was again in Clark County and was tracked by a large number of armed men using one of Robert's favorite dogs. When the armed men were catching up with Robert, they unleashed the dog, but couldn't keep up with it. Being late in the evening the men lost sight of the dog and Robert. With this, it is stated that the entire Birch family moved to Missouri. This is just a brief reading of the entire 4 page Clark County history of the Birch family. If it helps anyone...good luck! I'm still going to check out the area in the near future. I was born and raised in Clark County and am always interested in it's history. Any questions?? Feel free to ask.

serpent

Feb 16, 2004
rayc50, Hello. Since you know more actual history about the Birch gang and that area of Illinios, have you seen any " Devils Creek" on any old maps ? I have an atlas that does go into some detail as far as creeks, streams and ditches go, but after looking around Montrose in Effingham County I see no Devils Creek. I know sometimes names get changed over time so that is a possibility. I have read Mcains story but cannot find the historical account that I based my conclusion on , the article I read specificaly stated that the Birch's hid out along with others around Nauvoo, I guess the pickens was good back then. since you have access to land records I was wondering if you checked out Grant Redden? If he owned a farm near Montrose there should be a record of it. Thanks for the info.

rayc50

Apr 11, 2008
East Central Illinois
Hi, Serpent! You are right about the creeks changing names. Sometimes what we see on a map is not necessarily what the early settlers called it. Whether it be a creek, a settlement or trail (early road?). I heard a lot of stories while growing up here. Some of the old timers in the fifties and sixties were in their 80's and that put them growing up back in the late 1800's and getting their stories from their relatives..some of them born in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Even then, the names of some areas changed, as did the county seats of Clark County. The first was Aurora, then Darwin, then eventually Marshall. By the way, the name of that Court Clerk during the Birch gang era was one Darius Phillips. A close friend and an associate of 'Old Coon' and Robert Birch was Arbuckle. I'm going to check on the creek. I have a platt map of Clark County and have access to another, older map. Possibly someone has located some of the older names there. As far as Devil's Creek and Montrose goes....Montrose is in Effingham County and just west of the Jasper County line. So, it might just be possible that Grant Redden's farm and the creek may have been just inside Jasper County. Pretty close call there. lol I guess the only way to find out would to try Jasper County records and Effingham County records. If I were guessing, I would say it would probably be Jasper County. Just because it is farther from the larger settlement of Effingham and was at one time a pretty remote area. Lots of 'hills and hollers'. My oldest son and I are checking out some old farm houses..or what's left of them....this spring. I had an old plat map at one time....the late 1800's, and I'm trying to locate it. I remember it showing my great grandfather's land. He told me where his father settled and I've been to that area a couple of times. That was before I really got into the THing. There was one story my great grandfather told me about some bank robbers who were caught on the Clarksville Road north of where I live. They were caught just west of an old inn, but didn't have the loot with them. I know where the old inn was located...but a few years ago I tried to get access with a MD, but the owners denied me. They have long since gone, so my son and I decided to contact the new owners to see if we can work out a compromise with them in order to let us check out the area. There are so many 'hills and hollers' there (in the Mill Creek watershed area), that it's going to very interesting. If you want, my email is [email protected] me a 'holler' and we'll see if we can come up with anything about the Birch/Redden gang. Never know....nobody else has claimed anything from that area. Have a good'n!! Ray

serpent

Feb 16, 2004
rayc50. Thanks and I certainly will drop you a line. that area sounded familiar and when I checked my old notes I remembered that in the early 90's I went down to Champaign and traced some old maps at the U of I library, the map denoted old military depots and forts. I went to Arthur to look for a colonial era payroll, it was on some Amish peoples farm and they let me roam around and search it. I'd like to go back now that I have better equipment. I took my tracings and overlayed them on a current map by matching up the streams and rivers the best I could and then deciding on wich outpost to search based on the story, but I believe there were a few within a 10 mile radius of Arthur. I know this is a little north of the Birch homestead, but in the ballpark. I think I'll dig through my old paperwork and see if I can find the old usgs maps that I had of that area, I used to order them in volume for areas that were associated with treasure leeds or other historic sites.

reas8

Aug 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
getting close!

Hi, Serpent! You are right about the creeks changing names. Sometimes what we see on a map is not necessarily what the early settlers called it. Whether it be a creek, a settlement or trail (early road?). I heard a lot of stories while growing up here. Some of the old timers in the fifties and sixties were in their 80's and that put them growing up back in the late 1800's and getting their stories from their relatives..some of them born in the late 1700's and early 1800's. Even then, the names of some areas changed, as did the county seats of Clark County. The first was Aurora, then Darwin, then eventually Marshall. By the way, the name of that Court Clerk during the Birch gang era was one Darius Phillips. A close friend and an associate of 'Old Coon' and Robert Birch was Arbuckle. I'm going to check on the creek. I have a platt map of Clark County and have access to another, older map. Possibly someone has located some of the older names there. As far as Devil's Creek and Montrose goes....Montrose is in Effingham County and just west of the Jasper County line. So, it might just be possible that Grant Redden's farm and the creek may have been just inside Jasper County. Pretty close call there. lol I guess the only way to find out would to try Jasper County records and Effingham County records. If I were guessing, I would say it would probably be Jasper County. Just because it is farther from the larger settlement of Effingham and was at one time a pretty remote area. Lots of 'hills and hollers'. My oldest son and I are checking out some old farm houses..or what's left of them....this spring. I had an old plat map at one time....the late 1800's, and I'm trying to locate it. I remember it showing my great grandfather's land. He told me where his father settled and I've been to that area a couple of times. That was before I really got into the THing. There was one story my great grandfather told me about some bank robbers who were caught on the Clarksville Road north of where I live. They were caught just west of an old inn, but didn't have the loot with them. I know where the old inn was located...but a few years ago I tried to get access with a MD, but the owners denied me. They have long since gone, so my son and I decided to contact the new owners to see if we can work out a compromise with them in order to let us check out the area. There are so many 'hills and hollers' there (in the Mill Creek watershed area), that it's going to very interesting. If you want, my email is [email protected] me a 'holler' and we'll see if we can come up with anything about the Birch/Redden gang. Never know....nobody else has claimed anything from that area. Have a good'n!! Ray

ive been really interested in this case for a few years now, and my grandpa swears this was a huge topic when he was little. the one thing id like to point out is that the devils creek may not be anywhere near marshall. they could have had the hide out up in north illinois since they needed hide outs after robbing people, especially after murdering davenport. there is a devis creek in south cook county, close to peoria (but doubt that is the one) and one in Nauvoo that creek goes even into iowa. Ive researched a few of their aliases to the Nauvoo location several times and they have been to chicago, leading me to believe that is the more likely place. But if u have found a devils creek near marshall and arthur please let me know. id love to know.

arapahoscout

Sep 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy reading this thread, I grew up in Nauvoo and used to swim in Devils creek in Iowa. That was the summer place to be when we would want to take girls skinny dipping late at night! I worked for a time at the factory adjacent to Devil's Island. Never knew anything about treasure hunting at the time though. Also, my roommate after leaving the folks' house had the last name Birch.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions