Buried shovel in the woods?

EagleEyes

Jul 17, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there was a group of people burying something real deep and one dropped his shovel in the hole. And rather than jumping in the hole to get it , left it. I don't know, just a thought.

OP
OP
chinchilla

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe there was a group of people burying something real deep and one dropped his shovel in the hole. And rather than jumping in the hole to get it , left it. I don't know, just a thought.

thanks for adding that possibility EagleEyes. What came to my mind was that someone buried something there and prefered to leave the shovel buried than having to carry it again out of the woods, maybe with fear of someone watching

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the strangest thing I ever found in the woods was a small cup of pudding with a spoon in it,and the reason this was so strange is because we were miles from anywhere,no sign of anybody being there,we didn't even see any animals wile we were out there.:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
chinchilla

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the strangest thing I ever found in the woods was a small cup of pudding with a spoon in it,and the reason this was so strange is because we were miles from anywhere,no sign of anybody being there,we didn't even see any animals wile we were out there.:icon_scratch:

that's strange indeed. People is weird

Chris R

Feb 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be tempted to dig a very deep hole there.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scary_hand.gif
Ain't no friggin' way I would dig a deep hole in the middle of the woods!
killingme.gif

OP
OP
chinchilla

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
scary_hand.gif
Ain't no friggin' way I would dig a deep hole in the middle of the woods!
killingme.gif

a corpse? I also thought about that one. By the time the shovel was buried I should get a nice skeleton :laughing9:

...with all the gold I hope :laughing7:

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, what did they fill the hole back in with? I'd be searching the area really well with my detector....sounds intriguing to say the least!

OP
OP
chinchilla

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, what did they fill the hole back in with? I'd be searching the area really well with my detector....sounds intriguing to say the least!

I agree, it's not normal

I went there today, I dug the hole deeper and to the sides to also scan the walls but nothing. Maybe the thing they buried is hidden near that place. I'll continue my searching, I found several rusty nails (I hope they lost them when nailing the treasure chest lol).

thanks for your interest guys, this kind of puzzles fascinates me

Big Bad John

Jul 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe in was used for digging a hole and left it away from the hole and many years of dirt and leaves
cover the shovel. That is what happens to bottles thrown on the ground

BBJ

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd! :icon_scratch: If whomever buried the shovel, they would most likely have to have another shovel to fill the hole back up! Interesting! Burying the evidence?

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Was the handle rotted away? You may laugh but on my land I have a shovel (minus handle) left in a hole...We were burning brush piles in the middle of winter there years ago and I wondered how much the ground had thawed under our burn pile after the fire died down. So I dug a hole and ended up breaking the handle off. So I just left it in the hole and it's still there to this day. Also if a skidder has been used in the area in the past it might have been buried accidently years ago...

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very odd and that would have me back out there searching for sure. It makes no sense there has to be a reason and you Sherlock Holmes with a detector must find out and keep us posted

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it is a new concept in hiding your' treasures! Bury your' shovel with the treasure, then stick the treasure in the tool shed. Now, why didn't I think of that? LOL!!

Frank

OP
OP
chinchilla

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe in was used for digging a hole and left it away from the hole and many years of dirt and leaves
cover the shovel. That is what happens to bottles thrown on the ground

BBJ

that could be, if that happened it must have been there for a long time, I had to cut some roots to get the thing out

Odd! :icon_scratch: If whomever buried the shovel, they would most likely have to have another shovel to fill the hole back up! Interesting! Burying the evidence?

interesting, Burying evidence... that didn't occurred to me

Was the handle rotted away? You may laugh but on my land I have a shovel (minus handle) left in a hole...We were burning brush piles in the middle of winter there years ago and I wondered how much the ground had thawed under our burn pile after the fire died down. So I dug a hole and ended up breaking the handle off. So I just left it in the hole and it's still there to this day. Also if a skidder has been used in the area in the past it might have been buried accidently years ago...

yes dieselram94, the handle was completely rotten

Very odd and that would have me back out there searching for sure. It makes no sense there has to be a reason and you Sherlock Holmes with a detector must find out and keep us posted

Get your facts first, then distort them as you please-Mark Twain

I also tried detecting the ground where the shovel was pointing out, but no signals, next I will do a footwork on the area for trying to find possible land marks

Maybe it is a new concept in hiding your' treasures! Bury your' shovel with the treasure, then stick the treasure in the tool shed. Now, why didn't I think of that? LOL!!

Frank

an new concept like: "let me buried the shovel here, in a few weeks I'll come again to recover the cache". Maybe the person also used a small spade to buried the shovel, that's possible

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
an new concept like: "let me buried the shovel here, in a few weeks I'll come again to recover the cache". Maybe the person also used a small spade to buried the shovel, that's possible

Yeah, they must have buried the treasure with the shovel, then buried the shovel with the small spade because they did not want to leave any witnesses! But now, what do you suppose they did with the small spade and themselves? Ah, they must have buried themselves with the spade and pulled it into the hole with them. Mystery solved! LOL!!

Frank

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You know, I dislike it when someone poses a question and then leaves out the facts. It kind of makes me wonder about the origin of the question.
OK lets add some facts like, How deep was the shovel, Was it a long handled shovel, What brand was it ( this could help date it). Now were the trees saplings or old growth? Did you detect under the shovel. I didn't read all the posts because the lack of original facts made it to drawn out. Just one of my days, Frank...

111-1 profileblk.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread