🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I usually go to one spot and stay all day. Today was a drizzle here in Virginia and pretty miserable. And I lost my lucky digger (Dang it!). But I found what I believe to be an early U.S. Marines button. Known Civil war activity here but found not ONE single artifact but this one. So weird! At a different spot, I found a period horse shoe, a grapeshot, a frag and the worst soil for bullets I've ever seen. The 2 lower bullets are .58 cal minies, but deteriorated to about .50 cal! Three bullets on top are carbines. And falling to pieces!

IMG_4464.JPG

Albert's Button Book says this is a Marine button, but no date. Backmark unreadable. anybody care to venture a rough date period?

IMG_4450.JPG IMG_4451.JPG

And . . . after cleaning.

IMG_4454.JPG IMG_4460.JPG

Upvote 11

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG - VERY NICE :occasion14:

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That back mark is the critical element since there has been little variation on the front design of US Marine Corps buttons. I would keep gently working the back and using light at the right angles with moisture you might be able to get enough lettering to read it. Good luck and nice find. :thumbsup:

rich f

May 29, 2013
mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
dfx 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice the grape shot cleaned up real nice

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about old buttons military or otherwise. But I'll take a guess and say it is from around 1862 Congratulations on some very nice recoveries.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Relics
Did you put it on the what is it site?
You will likely get more answers there.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great button! I'm sure some of the knowledgeable button members will help id date.
Peace

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I would like to say nice find. And second I would like to say I very much enjoy your cleaning of it. Way to often people over do it on buttons with oils and other crap. Yours looks just the way it should a very nice dug button.
P.s. The rain is killing me too but it will be better over the weekend.

Nice finds
Ynp

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice relic finds! Hope you get help on the button ID.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button, If I'd found it I'd hot peroxide it a few times until it stopped fizzing then toothpick the devil out of it. Looks like and it should be made of brass. Actually I'm lyeing, I'd zap that button just like I did all my buttons, after that you would be able to read the backmark easy. Of course that is just what I would do. Might take some doing, but I bet I have some before and after pix of some of mine that I did. I'm a little different as far as how ynpto804 likes them. Mine come out brassy looking with a dark black contrast. If it was a GW button or something on that line, I'd get professional help with it.

OP
OP
parsonwalker

parsonwalker

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2013
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Modified GI Mine Detector (In the 60s)
Metrotech (In the 70s)
Tesoro Tejon (Now!)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First I would like to say nice find. And second I would like to say I very much enjoy your cleaning of it. Way to often people over do it on buttons with oils and other crap. Yours looks just the way it should a very nice dug button.
P.s. The rain is killing me too but it will be better over the weekend.

Nice finds
Ynp

Thanks man. I've cleaned buttons all kinds of ways and wished I hadn't. I am sticking with the simple method THIS SITE taught me: Let it dry out. Dry toothpick the dirt and crud off. Stick your finger in your ear and coat it with a little "ear-oil." LIGHTLY rub on the relief to bring out the details then . . . leave it the heck alone! To each his own . . . but I too, like the way this looks.

CSA2K

Jan 24, 2012
Winchester VA
Detector(s) used
This Minelab and this Pro-Pointer.. and that's all I need
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves man. Luv the grape!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread