Button & Bead (New Pics Attached Below )

Dirtfish

Dec 27, 2009
#*&%!
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500 , Ace 250
Button & Bead (New Pics Attached Below )

Started detecting about two months ago.Went to a spot this weekend with my buddy Floyd & found this Union Army GS cuff button & carved bead.The button is creased & the bead looks like it was carved from coal.Sorry for the blurry pics , it's the best my camera will do.

Attachments

• DCP00356cut.jpg
    DCP00356cut.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 548
  • DCP00361cut.jpg
    DCP00361cut.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 545
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Button & Bead

Welcome to t-net dirtfish. ! Nice finds and you have only been detecting a short while. I hope your success continues sir. Way to go.
Happy Huntin
TnMountains

S

seger98

welcome to Treasure Net, are you using the marco setting on the camera? Nice finds.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer

Welcome to Tnet and the world of having fun and exercise at the same time. Very nice finds.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

OP
OP
Dirtfish

Dirtfish

Dec 27, 2009
#*&%!
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500 , Ace 250

Thank Ya'll for the warm welcome.I agree that I was lucky to find these.They were like finding a needle in a haystack.The ground I was searching was littered with small tin scraps & I was using a standard 9" coil on my Ace250.At first I mistook the bead for a nut grass seed , but something told me to take a closer look at it.Glad I did.I think the button & bead were probably from pre Civil War era because their were no Union troops in this area during the war.I think it may be from the frontier & settlement days .The area I was in had an incredible 360 degree view of the city & surrounding area.My camera is an older Kodak digital.No special settings.I need to get a newer one that is reasonably priced.Any suggestions would be appreciated.I will also be investing in a sniper coil so I can detect the area more accurately.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its all about the hunt and the things we learn and find along the way. Every hunt seems to teach me something new.
Much success !
TnMtns

OP
OP
Dirtfish

Dirtfish

Dec 27, 2009
#*&%!
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500 , Ace 250

I have wanted to md since I was a kid & finally decided to start now that I am in my mid 40s.The second time I went out to practice my detecting at a park before moving on to better places.I found a gold ring.I compare mding with fishing.It can be hours of nibbles here & there , but then BAM you get an awesome hit!It's an incredible thrill.

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Too bad about the pictures, look for a digital camera that has a macro setting (Usually it will have a setting that has a flower icon, that little flower icon means it has a special setting that will do close-up photos), don't worry about getting an expensive digital camera with a high MP (megapixal) rating, anything around 4MP would be fine and since they are very affordable, look for one that has a good lense, nikon, canon, olympus and sigma are all good brands and if you stay at the 4MP you can get these at a great deal, some of these would have cost up to $500 10 years ago, but sell now used for less than $50. Then just use good lighting, nothing beats natural sunlight and the macro setting and make sure you are in focus. We love to see quality pics here, especially of something as nice as that button you found. Also, if there is any detail on the back of a button, take a picture of the writing on the back too as most of us like to identify civil war era buttons from the pics.

Welcome to T-net! :icon_thumleft:

HH (Happy Hunting), BeachBumm

OP
OP
Dirtfish

Dirtfish

Dec 27, 2009
#*&%!
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500 , Ace 250

Thank you for the tips BeachBumm.I did not photo the back because it does not have any makers mark.I should have mentioned that in my post.As soon as I get a new cam I will post clear pictures of these items.The bead is really interesting also.I am not sure how common they were in those days.

OP
OP
Dirtfish

Dirtfish

Dec 27, 2009
#*&%!
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500 , Ace 250

OK , Here are better pics ( I Hope ) with my new cam.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0026.JPG
    IMG_0026.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 234

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

the bead might very well be --onyx --a dark blackish type stone --popularly used in the victorian age (1837 to 1901) jewelry items and such --which matches up nicely with the button found --time frame wize .

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dirtfish said:
Thank Ya'll for the warm welcome.I agree that I was lucky to find these.They were like finding a needle in a haystack.The ground I was searching was littered with small tin scraps & I was using a standard 9" coil on my Ace250.At first I mistook the bead for a nut grass seed , but something told me to take a closer look at it.Glad I did.I think the button & bead were probably from pre Civil War era because their were no Union troops in this area during the war.I think it may be from the frontier & settlement days .The area I was in had an incredible 360 degree view of the city & surrounding area.My camera is an older Kodak digital.No special settings.I need to get a newer one that is reasonably priced.Any suggestions would be appreciated.I will also be investing in a sniper coil so I can detect the area more accurately.
Nice find :icon_thumleft: most Kodak D cameras if you hold the button only half way down it will focus on its own then click or check out www.newegg.com no shipping or tax as far as a sniper coil www.kellyco.com its up above the Banner http://www.kellycodetectors.com/garrett/ace-accessories.htm HH Jim

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis said:
the bead might very well be --onyx --a dark blackish type stone --popularly used in the victorian age (1840 to 1901) jewelry items and such --which matches up nicely with the button found --time frame wize .
Excellent photos :thumbsup: quality detail

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread