Motorola on a quarter signal

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this in a tot lot on Saturday... Contacted the city parks division, but not theirs... Still trying to contact the mulch company, but no other leads... The battery is still charged, but the channels are used by a lot of businesses, so I'm having trouble finding the owners...

Motorola RDU2020, tape label on the front says "18" so must be a fairly large set of these somewhere... Looks like they sell for around $200.00, but without a charger, might be hard to get rid of it...

HH
-whynot

Attachments

• motorola_phone2.JPG
    motorola_phone2.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 860
Upvote 0
OP
OP
whynot

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good idea, dawg... No hits in craigslist lost+found... Thanks for the suggestion!

Kieth-Tx - The radio has two channels and a scanner function... Lots of chatter from a lot of different companies... Auto parts dealers, lawn folks, etc... I may try the nearby school adjacent to the park...
-whynot

Glenns5900

Dec 14, 2005
Longmont, CO USA
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro (not SL) Old, but still good
If you know someone who has a frequency counter you can find out the transmit frequencies and then search the internet for scanner frequencies in your city/town and it should give you the names of the companies that use that frequency.

It may be setup to work through a repeater of some sort. I.E. The transmit and receive frequency may be different by about 600khz.

Try http://www.Radioreference.com

You may also try to find a local communications / commercial radio dealer and they may be able to tell you who it belongs to.

Knightwalker

Jan 12, 2009
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 3000, Fisher F22, Garrett PinPointer
Cool find. I agree, listen in to see who using it, and if you can communicate on it, talk to them.
:hello: HH in 2010 :hello2:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
do not worry to the security officer who lost thrown out of work,I say knowingly ....... ;D

OP
OP
whynot

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Specs on the unit:
Coverage area Up to 250,000 square feet (20 floors)
Frequency band UHF
Frequency range 450-470 MHz
Power 1W or 2W

Looks like I will have to go back to the area where found and try to contact owner...
-whynot

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A company operating a radio system like that is supposed to have a license from the FCC. I used to have to maintain the paperwork for such a system.

Find a local commercial radio technician company that would sell and repair these things. Usually a Motorola dealer will have exclusive territory. There may be some markings on it that they could use to identify the owner. Possibly the serial number of the unit would be recorded in their license information, but I don't remember if that detail is there. If there isn't a Motorola dealer in the area go to any shop that repairs communication equipment and they may be able to tell you where the Motorola guy is.

They may be able to identify the owner from the serial number, especially if they sold the unit to the owner.

OP
OP
whynot

whynot

Jan 27, 2005
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 w/ 9x12 coil
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions...
I tracked the S/N down from Motorola to Grainger. They don't keep serial # records, so dead end there...
Also, checked on www.radioreference.com for frequency range in this area... Literally hundreds of companies using frequencies in this range in Orlando, so this might end up being a candidate for flea-bay...
-whynot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions