button found......no pic yet, but some interesting research (PICS NOW ADDED)

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
Still in search of my first silver, I hit an old park yesterday for an hour or so before it got hot. The park was where there were evidence of remains of ramparts of a British fort in the late 1700's. IN any case, I've previously found clad, but no silver or anything of interest. However, this hunt produced at 8"+ what looks like an old button. It is quite corroded, but you can make out the number "24" on it. I tried a pic with my son's cheap camera, but it wasn't worth posting. My camera is up at my cabin, so I'll try again when I get it.

Curiosity got me to doing some web surfing about military buttons. After several web hunts, I found a site that indicated that sometime after 1750 the British required regimental numbers to be on buttons of uniforms. Making the assumption that this button might come from the uniform of a member of the British 24th Regiment, I googled it and found that the British 24th regiment was indeed in North America in the 1700's. Adding the word "Ohio" to the google I found a rather long treatise of the history of the battles between the US and Britain between the War of Independence and the War of 1812. After 30 minutes of scanning this long piece, I came upon proof that the 24th was indeed in this specific county I was hunting in, even naming one of the Majors.

I thought MD'ing for me was all about coins.......boy was I wrong. This is cool stuff!!

Upvote 0

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: button found......no pic yet, but some interesting research

The research is where all the fun is. Congrats....

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice buddy!
I'm hoping that button is the one I'm thinking about!

It's good to see your having fun!!

Mike

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010

What would make it good vs. not so good? It's in horrible shape, but based on my research, I think it's the real deal. I will try to get a pic though.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcreekdad said:
What would make it good vs. not so good? It's in horrible shape, but based on my research, I think it's the real deal. I will try to get a pic though.

Real vs a reproduction. Condition doesn't mean anything and the only way to know is to post some decent pictures of both sides.

Just so you know the majority found in similar context end of being modern, but if the park has history back to the 1700s it is possible. I found a CT copper at a park here among the modern finds so you never know.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

seems you might have a bit of local history in your hands --lol--yep its not all only about coins or silver and gold items -- :wink: :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010
trying pics

here goes

Attachments

• buttonfront1.JPG
    buttonfront1.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 349
  • buttonfront2.JPG
    buttonfront2.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 350
  • buttonrear.JPG
    buttonrear.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 339

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

that looks like it has some serious age on it , condition wize --i;d think it real --unless local colonail re enactors use the park area -- if the areas history leans to british 24th troops being in that area - i think you got a winner !

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yep, that's a good one! You're definitely going to want to seal it because it won't take too long before it will dry up and crack into pieces. There's obviously already a bad crack you have to be concerned about.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

That is definitely a Colonial keeper in my books. Wow, and to have been found in 1700s Ohio! :headbang: Nice ID, Patch. :icon_thumleft:

Kirk

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is not a repro! Nice find! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice one.....It's as real as real can get.Congrat's :icon_thumright:

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats...it is what it is!! like IP says seal that sucker or over time you'll lose it all together

OP
OP
B

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010

How do I seal it?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcreekdad said:
How do I seal it?

What I do is paint on a coat of water-based urethane (clear coat) and wipe. First I do the back and sides, let dry, then do the face. By using a lint free cloth and wiping right away it makes the coat very then. If you leave it painted on without a wiping it will be thick and glossy. The urethane will sink in the cracks making it stable for the future. Just try it on a few buttons you don't care about, and ask any questions beforehand.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a shot of the urethane I use, and a few examples of buttons sealed with it. Even with the bright light the buttons do not have much shine... (and less in person) which is something you try to limit for a pewter button. A clear coat on pitting is not a great mix, but if done right it shouldn't be too bad, and something definitely has to be done with your find. Wax could be an option, and I have a lot of experience using it too, but prefer the urethane.

There is one other factor to consider too... and that's the weak detail. Sometimes coating something that is just barely there can make the detail slightly worse. (because the light portions around the number 24 could get slightly darker and blend with the number) One way to test what it might look like is to wet the button, then pat dry and see what it looks like. (wet but with the excess water gone) Again, I think you will be ok and probably have it looking very close to what it is now if you do it right.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 277
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 269
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 276
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 267
  • p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 278
  • urethane.jpg
    urethane.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 275
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 268

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cool pewter button congrats! i used hair spray on my revolutionary war USA continental army button.are you in upstate ny on lake champlain by any chance?

Attachments

• usa button 2 [].jpg
    usa button 2 [].jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 238
  • usa button 1 [].jpg
    usa button 1 [].jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 248
  • usa button 1 [].jpg
    usa button 1 [].jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 242
  • usa button 2 [].jpg
    usa button 2 [].jpg