Button whattzit

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Mayo and I were on a rust-and-patina gathering mission today. Got this old flat button, just not sure if it's a "flat button" but it looks pretty cool. Some kind of soldier, sailor or person of arms bearing a standard with a musket at his side. The letters RNO are just below the image. Appears pewter and is about 20mm diameter and maybe 1 mm thick. Nothing on the back but what apopears to be a small center shaft. Might have been part of a two-piece button? Any ideas?
RNO button.JPG

AcRellik

Apr 5, 2012
Northern IL -Southern WI
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250/pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn dude you have nice hunting spots out there by you , you are always finding the goodies . Congrats and Happy Hunting
AcRellik

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Thanks guys, got one reply from a guy who said it's a Revolutionary War button from Mass, and the figure is that of an Indian holding a spear with a bow at his side. It will take a little more digging to reveal it's origins I'm sure. Since the letters are block, and may actually be RNC or RNO, that also makes a difference. It would be awesome to find a Rev War button in Chicagoland for me for sure.

We have vets from that war and the War of 1812 in a few old cemeteries out here in the hinterlands but they are scarce as hens teeth and it just doesn't seem there was enough of a movement to get many from that generation out this way in the right time period and place for this find. I'll toss it over to the button board and see what pops with my fingers crossed. RNO button CU.jpg

It also seems it might be a man with a standard and a woman kneeling beside him.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find there:icon_thumright:In the pic it looks more like a flag that's flowing past his head on his right.Also,the image you mention kneeling looks like a hand in extended outward.

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing you MASTER Tim.. You will find out what it is...
If it is Rev. High Five.... still High five if it's not.

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sure thats not the virgin mary tim? just kidding, cool button. it does seem to be a flag waving.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread